Bank reimburses restaurant owner - female employee sacked on the spot for stealing millions

rooster59

Bank reimburses restaurant owner - female employee sacked on the spot for stealing millions

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTU5MC83OTU0MTg2L2JhbmsuanBn.jpg

Caption (main part): Female bank employee sacked

A 34 year old Bangkok Bank employee was sacked on the spot after claims that she stole millions of baht from a wealthy and well known customer. 

The employee denied embezzling money and plans to fight the matter in court. 

Earlier in the week Ekkaphat Atthithanatkun - better known as Hia Maa the owner of a well known restaurant in Samut Prakan - had gone to the police to say that 5 million baht had gone missing from his account that was locked. 

Sanook reported that Hia Maa had gone to hospital because of the stress of the case. 

Yesterday a senior official from Bangkok Bank's law department went to the Bang Poo police where Hia Maa was compensated in full plus interest. 

Documents were handed over to the police by the bank who claim that the 34 year old female employee siphoned off 2.5 million baht for herself. 

They said that they will actively pursue the criminal case to its conclusion and said that they had sacked her immediately.

Hia Maa said that he was satisfied with the bank's actions but it remains to be seen if he will continue to bank with them in the future. He was waiting to see what further action they took and what compensation they offered him.

Referring to his hospital visit he quipped:

"If they are only going to pay for that I would say don't bother. I have enough money for that."

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-11-16

13 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

He was waiting to see what further action they took and what compensation they offered him.

good luck with that one ……  

At least you succeeded in getting all your stolen money back plus interest.

15 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

The employee denied embezzling money and plans to fight the matter in court.

someone is telling lies  …..:whistling:

Maybe I am being naive but I wonder if the bank employee is innocent and someone else (her boss?) stole the money. If she really does want to take it to court it doesn't sound like someone who is guilty to me

But then again maybe she is looking to save face..

31 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Documents were handed over to the police by the bank who claim that the 34 year old female employee siphoned off 2.5 million baht for herself. 

The other 2.5 Million Thb,went where ?

regards Worgeordie

29 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Fair enough. I have to confess I thought a family member had nicked it, but clearly bank employees do get greedy too. Fair play to the bank too, for admitting it was their staff and coughing up the cash.

Just read 2 or 3 such stories here recently. Seems to be quite common in this country. 

11 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Just read 2 or 3 such stories here recently. Seems to be quite common in this country. 

Yes, happened to me, same bank, same inside job. I was lucky enough to have a friend who was a bank manager and he went to bat for me. took me 4 months to get the money.

52 minutes ago, steven100 said:

good luck with that one ……  

At least you succeeded in getting all your stolen money back plus interest.

I will take a chance a say he is such a good customer of the bank, so that gives him a high percentage of success and negotiation power.

3 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Makes you wonder where the safest place is to keep ones money. In the bank, stock market or under the mattress?

There are good reason to use the international banks here like UOB and Citibank, they all have branches in Thailand, if someone wants to store his money (partially) on a thai bank account.

4 hours ago, Matzzon said:

I will take a chance a say he is such a good customer of the bank, so that gives him a high percentage of success and negotiation power.

I'd say it had more to do with his going to the police and the news media. He got nationwide coverage of his grievances, and Bangkok Bank knew that if it turned out to be their fault they would be lambasted in the media. Quick action on their part to produce the culprit, or fall person, to save face for Bangkok Bank; otherwise, I can see a loss of many customers for them in addition to "face". 

5 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Maybe I am being naive but I wonder if the bank employee is innocent and someone else (her boss?) stole the money. If she really does want to take it to court it doesn't sound like someone who is guilty to me

But then again maybe she is looking to save face..

Oh, please! Thais NEVER admit to anything until confronted with unimpeachable video evidence of their wrongdoing and then only to get their sentence reduced by half for 'cooperating'.

8 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Fair enough. I have to confess I thought a family member had nicked it, but clearly bank employees do get greedy too. Fair play to the bank too, for admitting it was their staff and coughing up the cash.

I do think there's more to the story than what has been printed, unfortunately they will never print it

7 hours ago, Seismic said:

Yes, happened to me, same bank, same inside job. I was lucky enough to have a friend who was a bank manager and he went to bat for me. took me 4 months to get the money.

I was going to say, good luck if you're a no influence farang retiree who ends up on the losing end of one of these bank employee embezzlement cases.

This apparently well known Thai businessman got his money back in a matter of days after going public with the case. If it was you or me instead, good luck with that!

4 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

Oh, please! Thais NEVER admit to anything until confronted with unimpeachable video evidence of their wrongdoing and then only to get their sentence reduced by half for 'cooperating'.

No they don't but neither do they mention going to court to contest the charges.

4 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

And in the US, they never admin to anything either. They let their lawyer do all of the talking.

16 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Yes, that's my point exactly, I wonder if the bank employee has been setup as the fallguy.

I was thinking that too...lots of missing pieces here as usual...in fact my thoughts are someone abover her has a very good idea what happened

20 hours ago, worgeordie said:
20 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The other 2.5 Million Thb,went where ?

regards Worgeordie

Siphoned off for the the branch manager who may have known about it?

Archived