Thailand hopes to have bullet trains running by 2023

webfact

3 hours ago, Chazar said:

if ever there was a more  unnecessary train needed in Thailand its  this, what they need is a  slower countrywide  good service thats AFFORDABLE

If it connected north to south and east to west I could understand it... a viable alternative to using roads or air travel....

@Estrada

Thanks for giving some insider info, which most subsequent posters seem to have ignored.

I was one of the many skeptics regarding the necessity of a Japanese style bullet train for the short distances involved between the stations on the Pattaya route but I now know this is not the plan.

I've taken the current third class service from Chachoengsao to Bangkok many times. It's not a nice experience but at 13 baht it is very affordable for the locals.

I totally get your point about the BTS. I remember it was underused when I first arrived in Bangkok in 2002; I don't ever remember having to stand. Fast forward to last week and it was like they needed the Japanese style guys that push the commuters into the trains.

• Thanks 1

What a bunch of BS. They havent finished the red line north from Bang Sue to Rangsit via Don Muang in 4 years now. Plus they built Don Muang Station so it does not connect to either terminal at DM airport. It ends at the car park for terminal 2.  Totally laughable. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Captain 776 said:

2023?   Will never happen without a major western contractor and even at that 2023 is very aggressive.

Right of Way access usually takes that long alone.

Why does it need a Western contractor?  The Chinese build HSR lines faster than anyone else, and last time I checked they weren't using Western contractors.

Right of Way access is another thing...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Estrada said:

It will be elevated all the way, so no problem with crossings

Will the station at Pattaya be in the same location that it is now? A 2 minute drive from my home. Will be an absolute boon for me. Great for travelling to both Suvarnabhumi and U Tapo. Will also make my visits to Bangkok far more frequent.

I hope I live to see it. 555