Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

3 minutes ago, faraday said:

Yes, it is UHT, but getting Chokchai in NBL is difficult, as often Makro no hab.

Which milk do you use?

????

Worried about the word 'chink' Mr Sofa, gotta be so careful these days. ( unable to elaborate) ????

I buy Meiji from Big C. I buy ten 830ml bottles and freeze them. Have done for years.

btw, I have no illegal immigrants hiding near the windows.

• Haha 2

Bluesofa.....it has been remiss of me but how is your recovery going?

Are you able to get out and about at all and relax in comfort?

It has been nearly a month since my legs gave up the ghost and have restricted my activities to my villa.

Tomorrow I hope to go via wheelchair to a Classical music concert in the local town hall (Bach and Grieg-an odd mix...????)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Thanks for asking.

I haven't posted much about it for a while, but once given the opportunity...

Thank you for your reply.It all sounds painful and restrictive and I hope that you get to your next appointment!

Me?Having fought off malignant Melanoma it was only one year later that I was diagnosed with mature onset Leukemia that leads to incredible fatigue and lethargy...and a weird sort of muscular dystrophy..a sort of "laughing legs" hence my classy mobility scooter..

The mornings are the best time..the situation deteriorates during the day.

No travel insurance for me..so I am vicariously travelling on this thread.????

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Thank you for your reply.It all sounds painful and restrictive and I hope that you get to your next appointment!

Me?Having fought off malignant Melanoma it was only one year later that I was diagnosed with mature onset Leukemia that leads to incredible fatigue and lethargy...and a weird sort of muscular dystrophy..a sort of "laughing legs" hence my classy mobility scooter..

The mornings are the best time..the situation deteriorates during the day.

No travel insurance for me..so I am vicariously travelling on this thread.????

You seem to have had more than your fair share of 'defecation' or life-changing events as they are often described, yet you make positive posts here on TVF. I have admiration for people who can do that in the face of adversity, I don't know if I could be so strong.

I'm guessing your phrase 'laughing legs' could perhaps be used to describe someone who appears worse the wear for beer?

Take care, and I hope your classical music concert turns out to be 'wheely good' (sorry!) I hope those time-travelling troublemakers Bach and Grieg don't start a fight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

If, like me Owl will be able to read & react to posts but not actually able to post, glad there is still some heart left in TVF in these very uncertain days & weeks ahead. 

Could someone please sack this bloody useless government. ????

So you can be banned, but still sort of, participate ? 
Only in Thailand... only Thai visa... ????????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

But...you are still able to read the screen aren't you?????

(anxious enquiry)

As an aside..it is a beautiful soft autumn morning here..golden light,azure blue cloudless sky-about 14.C (09.20 hrs)

20.5 this morning... ????

6 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

So you can be banned, but still sort of, participate ? 
Only in Thailand... only Thai visa... ????????

I know what you mean but I have to say that I was grateful for that opportunity, watching the (Thai) world going to hell in a handcart and being unable to have easy access to the latest information, not gossip, was a godsend, TallGuyJohninBangkok deserves a special mention for that. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

Don’t forget to use your scooter to max effect at the interval in order to get priority access in the beer queue Ody, no point not using your disability for advantage... ????????

The beer queue?

Are you the originator of that classic phrase "i wouldn't give a XXXX for Johann Sebastien Bach?"????

Tea, scones and lamingtons I would think..

However we are due at the RSL club at 5pm for ANZAC Day.A couple of drinks and then home...

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

I had to Google Lamingtons - it's just a cake. I was disappointed to find out that it's not a euphemism for something sexual.

It may be "just a cake" but what these...err... gentlemen from down under do with it....

Is shocking????

I do miss a large slice of Victoria sponge, & a cuppa with fresh milk. Have yet to find a decent cake shop here in Issaan ( keeping it on topic)???? 

Or cooking apples, to make an apple crumble...????

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

I had to Google Lamingtons - it's just a cake. I was disappointed to find out that it's not a euphemism for something sexual.

You didn't look hard enough:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4113554/Comedian-Julia-Morris-covers-bosoms-jam-covered-lamingtons-hilarious-visual-gag-enjoying-dinner-date-Melbourne.html

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Not tonight, but this morning. I was about to start rowing on my rowing machine when I heard an extremely worried "Garry, Garry, snake, snake come on down and do something" or words to that effect. Turns out there was a snake in our spare room which we use to store my tools, the clothes horse and other <deleted>. Couldn't identify it at first and it tried to hide, but when I moved some stuff around I saw a bit of yellow/cream on either side of its neck and an O on the back of its neck. I've never had a cobra in my house before (only a golden tree snake, a sunbeam snake and a couple of others in the garden) so was a bit wary, but managed to scoop him up and let him go in our tiny garden, but not before he spread his hood to let us know he was pi55ed off. Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture.

Wife was not happy about me letting him go in the garden. Said we should have called someone to take him away. She was probably right (I'll never admit that to her), but I told her he would buๆger off on his own. 

And I have not even moved out to the sticks yet. Here I am in an end unit town house (hence the tiny garden) near Udomsuk in Bangers.          

Wow an urban snake! It must have escaped from a pet shop, boy.

Me with a fear of snakes, I'd be from Udomsuk to Central Bang Na quicker than you could say vindscreen viper.

What happened to the clothes horse - was it bitten, has it gone lame? Have you had to put it down - tidily I hope?

P.S. Your rowing machine. Who normally wins, you or the wife? I suppose arguing could be seen as a hobby.

Edited by bluesofa
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sotonowl said:

Your close enough. It happens to be Hillsborough, home of Sheffield Wednesday whose owner Dejphon Chansiri son of one of the Thai Union food owners reckoned the 2 elephants would bring us luck. He was right, it's all been bad, and plenty of it.????

That was going to be my second guess.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Kadilo said:

Hello chaps. Playing catch-up now back from another offshore trip from hell. 
I take it Owl has forgotten his pledge and got himself another holiday. And no stand in now the Vent man is away on a mission.

A question for all you knowledgeable Isaanites. 
What’s the going rate for a rai of agricultural land up there these days. Just the bulk standard rice growing in the middle of nowhere kind of stuff.  Accessible by dirt track. 

Ive got an idea of what I think it sells for by looking through the forum a while back but I’ve been offered a “deal of a lifetime” by someone looking to offload 10 rai. ????

I know nothing about land but yes Mr Owl is on holiday again, not sure when he's due back, maybe another 7 days or more ????

57 minutes ago, voulez vous said:

Opened emails to see that Monsieur Owl has gotten himself a three week suspension. I do wish he would control those naughty computer keys.

He sent me some pics and annotation to post. Slightly out of date; but I'll post them for him; half now and some  a bit later. He was particularly peeved about his holiday as he had been clicking on the adverts on the site.

Did you see me in holidayland Mr Owl?I could only manage a 10 dayer this time for telling the "still no eye deer" joke to lighten the mood a little then BAMMM!I did get a warning that it being my 8th incursion into holiday land my tickets will soon run out.I see the Oz Guv say it will gaol its citizens for 5 years or $60,000 if they dared travel from India and make it home to Oz.This will go a long way to create abandonment fears in many, they do the same to America when the US had worse numbers than India.Having just celebrated ANZAC day in OZ I can't help but wonder if after arriving at Gallipoli the diggers were told you're on your own and you not allowed to help your mates,what would they think of what being Australian means when the Guv will abandon its citizens at the drop of a hat.

• Like 1