Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

4 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

This is the type of snake (golden tree snake i believe) we've  seen around our house / garden the most over the years. Had one in the kitchen behind the fridge last month which i removed by spraying it with mosi spray - seconds later it shot out the door. They always move so fast they can be a blur, they can glide through the trees also. This one was dead in the road below a large raintree, as there's little damage showing maybe it fell down?

What snake do you see the most in your area of isaan?

1620478548132..jpg

1620478533259..jpg

Wow, you could easily mistake that for a garden hose couldn't you.????

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

This is the type of snake (golden tree snake i believe) we've  seen around our house / garden the most over the years. Had one in the kitchen behind the fridge last month which i removed by spraying it with mosi spray - seconds later it shot out the door. They always move so fast they can be a blur, they can glide through the trees also. This one was dead in the road below a large raintree, as there's little damage showing maybe it fell down?

What snake do you see the most in your area of isaan?

1620478548132..jpg

1620478533259..jpg

There are lots of different snakes in Isaan. And many species have variations. Found a decent size rat-snake under the pick-up about 18 months ago. It was an albino; almost pure while. Took a couple of pics** before grabbing it and letting it go over the wood. About 1.2 metres long.

Down the years I've seen a few cobras, one Viper, and quite a few Kraits; only one silver and red one though. Most being banded yellow and black. These seem to be the ones that bite the locals. They are not the most poisonous, but they stand their ground and can chase you if they are disturbed. Often seen their remains on the side of the road after being run over.

Most snakes are harmless, but it's not always easy to know which ones are the dodgy ones. Seen a few in trees, and generally these are nothing to worry about; unless bright green. Get to know where snakes like to hang out. Under old wood or corrugated sheeting. In holes and under big water containers.

There was a family of cobras living in the foundations of the house next to ours in the village. I caught one but the catchers came and caught half a dozen.

** data on my flash-drive, that I've been unable to open since graduating onto Win10 16 months ago.

Edited by owl sees all

The top three visitors to my property over the years, are: 

1. Golder tree snakes

2. Pythons

3. Cobras

I live next next to farmers fish fields so we gets lots of snakes and monitor lizards (almost daily), keeps it interesting. 

Only had the one rat snake and that was years ago. Remember it well as we had a Cambodian *maid at the time, she grabbed the best brolly we had, chased it around the garden whacking it till it was dead and my brolly was bent and useless - she wasn't employed long.

*maids - We had a maid, for about 2 years, when our lads were toddlers as they are very close in age = hard work for us. We tried 3 (non-live-in) maids, a Cambodian, Myanmar and Laos; none lasted long as they were all pretty useless and uninterested. Eventually the wife got a young female relative to come down from her village in isaan and live with us. Not a great fan of maids, looks good on thai soap operas but its not really.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

*maids - We had a maid, for about 2 years, when our lads were toddlers as they are very close in age = hard work for us. We tried 3 (non-live-in) maids, a Cambodian, Myanmar and Laos; none lasted long as they were all pretty useless and uninterested.

Just checked with the wife and i was slightly wrong. We had 2 x Cambodians and a Laotian at different times; one of the Cambodians was sacked for stealing the wife's underwear. It's amazing how women - i am assuming my wife is typical of women - can remember every item of clothing they own.

• Like 1

Actually, kraits are not aggressive, especially during the daytime when they are quite docile. They are nocturnal hunters but even at night they are not particularly aggressive.  What may happen is that people are bitten by accident when lifting up objects in the garden, etc. or mistaking them for wolf snakes or bridle snakes, which are harmless, and them picking them up. 

It would appear that the most common venomous snake bites are from vipers, be that russel's, green, or Malaysian pit vipers. 

About 20 years ago there was a case of a herpetologist who died within 30 hours of a Krait bite in Myanmar (he really should have know better). Due to his location he could not be shipped out by helicopter - I think there were concerns about the helicopter being shot down.

I really like snakes, particularly the non-venomous kind and enjoy their visits.  Perhaps, once I move up country and am visited much more frequently, I may change my perspective.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Just checked with the wife and i was slightly wrong. We had 2 x Cambodians and a Laotian at different times; one of the Cambodians was sacked for stealing the wife's underwear. It's amazing how women - i am assuming my wife is typical of women - can remember every item of clothing they own.

Used or fresh………..just asking for a friend ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kadilo said:

Used or fresh………..just asking for a friend ????

I'm sure they were frilly and fresh Kadilo.

Before they locked the car-park at the rear of the Civic Center in Dagenham there were lots of undies scattered about. The lads would clear out their Ford Cortinas in the car park. Drink beer, and talk about West Ham and fishing.

30 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I'm sure they were frilly and fresh Kadilo.

Before they locked the car-park at the rear of the Civic Center in Dagenham there were lots of undies scattered about. The lads would clear out their Ford Cortinas in the car park. Drink beer, and talk about West Ham and fishing.

I had a Cortina, support the Hammers and go fishing……….ummm

• Like 1

So you were one of the lads who would hang their conquest's frillies on the spikes behind the civic center.

1688671614_Dagenhamciviccentre.jpg.f68d893934676f31d71c726018e733e4.jpg

This was Dagenham's great civic center; about 1955. The car-park had not yet been built, and I had no interest in ladies then.

The Dagenham Chase was at the far end of the park behind. Very good fishing for tench and bream. Now (since 2018) it's a syndicate carp water. Lots of footage on youtube.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Rain anyone.Photos from the other day when Owl was talking about the lack of it, it might be safe to post them now without causing Mr Owl to go on another holiday.

1DA5AE55-A645-4E38-B098-B2E27B5E9BC4_1_105_c.jpeg.2976a83029ac115d9c5ecd4897d8e04f.jpeg5BD2952C-175F-483E-9AAC-A709B9638057_1_105_c.jpeg.55aa62621d4a6396f4926952e278c37a.jpegE828CC89-9803-4CBE-8F4E-CF7E2F6919C3_1_105_c.jpeg.b4f76932191cd779052b6fbedbf671d6.jpeg

Yai battling the elements!

66EBAD59-D179-40E6-83BB-30C821B87138_1_105_c.jpeg.396bb3f9283876be8e93a08c44d20e3f.jpeg

Will leave for the farm in a few minutes.

Gonna pump water into number 6 again.

Rain!!!!!!!!!!! What is that FFF??

Not enough rain in these parts to fill a bathtub from the roof run off.

21 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Will leave for the farm in a few minutes.

Gonna pump water into number 6 again.

Rain!!!!!!!!!!! What is that FFF??

Not enough rain in these parts to fill a bathtub from the roof run off.

We've been incredibly lucky and have been getting the odd good shower every 4-5 days for a few weeks.

On 5/11/2021 at 7:57 AM, owl sees all said:

data on my flash-drive, that I've been unable to open since graduating onto Win10 16 months ago.

Owl, did you ever take your flash drive in to one of the computer repair shops there to see if they could recover your data?

Does your new laptop make the chirping noise when you plug it in?

9 minutes ago, Sterling said:

Owl, did you ever take your flash drive in to one of the computer repair shops there to see if they could recover your data?

Does your new laptop make the chirping noise when you plug it in?

I would appreciate any help in this.

It was fine with my previous computer, WinVista7  extra (something like that). I have a stack of data on there. Pics, sections of books, and much more.

Don't understand about the 'chirping noise' bit. I'm not as tech savy as some.

The computer recognises the unit, but after displaying its contents for a few seconds, disappears off the screen.

Edited by owl sees all