Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

10 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

IMO - The problem is the steep and slippery sides of these very deep ponds, which are popular in Isaan. I suspect that the kids either go for a swim or fall in, and just can't climb out. Eventually they are so exhausted that they go under. It seems fairly common that one child gets into difficulty and others drown whilst trying to help.

Looking at Owl's photos, his ponds seem to be shallow at the edges, which would make it easier for someone to climb out. Maybe there's some reason why the deep/steep-sided ponds are preferred by some. Maybe someone can explain.

I have mentioned previously that my wife had one of these ponds dug for free on her small farm a few years back. The soil (clay) was taken away for roadworks. Last month she had the pond backfilled again with clay as it never produced any fish worth the trouble.

When I read about these tragic drownings, I feel relieved that we will not have any kids drowning on her farm.   

In my neck of the woods, it seems that the deeper ponds are built in areas with poor water retention so that they can hold some water longer. This is not really a problem in areas where water retention is good, such as those with high water tables. In a village not more than 5 kms from where I live, the ponds tend to be very deep. I was standing in a new one the other week and it was bone dry, even after heavy rain a few days earlier. On the other hand, less than 500 meters from my home, a guy had two ponds dug a few months ago and they filled up before receiving any rain (these are only about 3 meters deep. 

20240409_093420.jpg

20240409_093521.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

In my neck of the woods, it seems that the deeper ponds are built in areas with poor water retention so that they can hold some water longer. This is not really a problem in areas where water retention is good, such as those with high water tables. In a village not more than 5 kms from where I live, the ponds tend to be very deep. I was standing in a new one the other week and it was bone dry, even after heavy rain a few days earlier. On the other hand, less than 500 meters from my home, a guy had two ponds dug a few months ago and they filled up before receiving any rain (these are only about 3 meters deep. 

20240409_093420.jpg

You need a face-lift Garry mate. Tongue looks healthy though.

Matching cap and shirt I notice.

• Haha 2

On 4/7/2024 at 3:03 PM, owl sees all said:

The ups and downs in the top two divisions are exciting for sure. Owls won away.

Slightly off topic but we play Norwich tonight Owl, bit of a mile stone as it's our 5,000 league game.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/SHWNOR?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1777588505172152568|twgr^5629f2dfd5224d97b44351229f0502e0625a7d0b|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.owlsonline.com%2Findex.php%3Fapp%3Dcoremodule%3Dsystemcontroller%3Dembedurl%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Fx.com%2Fswfc%2Fstatus%2F1777588505172152568&src=hashtag_click

Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 18.38.46.png

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, sotonowl said:

Wot!! English footy off topic?

And a well earned, battling point at home against the Canaries.

I did forecast a while back that it world be Rothers, Brum and one other to leave the Championship. Gonna be tight.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Wot!! English footy off topic?

And a well earned, battling point at home against the Canaries.

I did forecast a while back that it world be Rothers, Brum and one other to leave the Championship. Gonna be tight.

Well yeah, I did have one removed a bit since, maybe the mod was being a tad over zealous or he'd seen his <deleted>.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sotonowl said:

Well yeah, I did have one removed a bit since, maybe the mod was being a tad over zealous or he'd seen his <deleted>.

The mods tend not to touch this thread. Down the years it's been pretty broad and civil in nature. As long as it's in my diary; it's OK. And footy is on page 3.

Hope to have some work done to the new water towers at the farm this week. Everything is in place, except the steels that have not yet been got down from the old water tower. TBH, I'm not up to all that climbing about 8 metres in the air any more. Best left to others. But that means delays.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, owl sees all said:

The mods tend not to touch this thread. Down the years it's been pretty broad and civil in nature. As long as it's in my diary; it's OK. And footy is on page 3.

Hope to have some work done to the new water towers at the farm this week. Everything is in place, except the steels that have not yet been got down from the old water tower. TBH, I'm not up to all that climbing about 8 metres in the air any more. Best left to others. But that means delays.

Tell me about it, I have a roof leak at home but can't now get in the loft. Have to rely on roofers and phone pics.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sotonowl said:

Just watching that game now, Palace 0-1 up, second half just kicked off.

Dear me!

How wrong can ya be? A goal feast at Pool? No way. Palace all the way. Irons well beaten at home by Cottagers. And Arsenal outgunned at home by Villa.

Have the reds of Liverpool and London just handed the title to blue Manchester?

Bayer Leverkusen win the German Bundesliga with 5 games to go.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Dear me!

How wrong can ya be? A goal feast at Pool? No way. Palace all the way. Irons well beaten at home by Cottagers. And Arsenal outgunned at home by Villa.

Have the reds of Liverpool and London just handed the title to blue Manchester?

Bayer Leverkusen win the German Bundesliga with 5 games to go.

Fair play to the Palace lads, some brilliant defending in there but the amount of chances Liverpool had I still can't see how they didn't score. Having said that, I'm pleased they did'n't as I don't like them.😀

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sotonowl said:

Fair play to the Palace lads, some brilliant defending in there but the amount of chances Liverpool had I still can't see how they didn't score. Having said that, I'm pleased they did'n't as I don't like them.😀

The clubs outside the top 6 only have the occasional good game. Pool had a another stinker and Palace capitalized.

When are clubs like Villa, Seagulls and Irons gonna break through? Toon are almost part of the top furniture; as are Villa. Be good to see.

If City do it this year, then it will be the first time a club has done 4 on the bounce. Next season it would be good to get a change.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Only Villa did well in Europe last week.

Yes, did you see the interesting anomaly with the yellow cards Owl? Villa goalkeeper had a second yellow after the 1st or 2nd pen of the penalty shootout but didn't get sent off. Apparently cards don't carry over from the game into the penalty shootout, they give them a fresh start as they don't want to be sending a goalie off for leaving his goal line when facing a penalty in the shootout should he have had one during the game.

As for the Owls, I have precipice fatigue, oh for a season in mid table. My nerves are shot.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2019 at 10:28 AM, JustAnotherFarang said:

There is a touch of the old Bernard Trink to your posts, its fun to read between the lines

he's far more amusing than Trink, not obsessed by the sex industry (yawn) and, importantly, he's original, he doesn't cut and paste other people's writing.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, London Lowf said:

Looks like your Mrs has nicked one of your hats!

image.png

Make you right there LL. I don't mind really. She can have anything I have to offer. 

4 hours ago, HighPriority said:

If not perfect, you’ve got water flowing, well done Owl 👍🏼

Indeed.     

With the frond cover from the palms, the sun don't get through too much. So evaporation is minimal. I'll have a good look on Thursday. Ban Dung tomorrow. Weekly shop.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what everyone else's thoughts are on this subject but I'm just finding it way too long between Owls posts and he needs to up his game and start posting a similar amount of content on a daily basis. Thanks for reading.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, sotonowl said:

I'm not sure what everyone else's thoughts are on this subject but I'm just finding it way too long between Owls posts and he needs to up his game and start posting a similar amount of content on a daily basis. Thanks for reading.

Oh, and when I say posts, I don't mean the ones holding the solar panels up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1