Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

On 3/27/2024 at 8:56 PM, owl sees all said:

Thanks for clarification Mick. 77 metres is a fair old bore. What is the water table level at different times of the year?

I would opt for 5 inch if it was me. Depends somewhat on the water table and how quickly the bore water is replenished when pumping is in progress.

The water table is always fairly high, even now you can see a dividing line in the pond banks about 2 metres down. When we had the ponds dug they hit water with the first bucket. The driver jumped out of the macro with a cup, tasted the water and pronounced it drinkable. Last year in August, we had to shore up the ponds with sandbags as they had levelled out with the surrounding rice paddies. The year before we were a bit slow and lost a lot of koi -- much to the delight of the local lads fishing in the stream at the end of the land. Most of them were about 40cms long so I would gladly have bought them back but there you go.

• Like 2

Owl Log gonna be a little late this time.

An absolute tragedy has hit the village; just 300 metres from us. Very sad.

Sorry all. Maybe tomorrow morning.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

22 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Owl Log gonna be a little late this time.

Sorry all. Maybe tomorrow morning.

7 Eleven run out of Leo? 😂🏳️

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

15 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Not good leaving us hanging like this Owl.

Edited by sotonowl
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)

Just a small post to put the tragedy on the map.

Yesterday morning, me and Mildred were on our way to Ban Dung. As we left the village, it was obvious that something serious had occured. I stopped the mazza, and took a couple of shots. Not wanting to intrude, we made our way to Ban Dung to get some items.

kidsdie01.png.15fdba39e1398a7133f351f6bcdeb8b9.pngkidsdie00.png.0ec5f88f42a230f36cafd3c090d048fe.png

When we were back, at the same spot, it was deathly quiet. Not a soul anywhere.

Arrived home. Mrs Owl didn't know anything, but the guy opposite did, and told her the whole sad story. Then it was told to me. I must say; I shed a tear. As did Mildred.

Three kids of 7 and 8 - 2 boys, one girl - had drowned in a newly dug pond, at the back of the house in the pics. A forth kid - who didn't go into the pond - realised they were in trouble and went to get help. Too late to save the three children.

Full Owl Log later.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Sad 9

3 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Dammit... when is the government going to to a drive to teach kids to swim?   

Obviously sorely missing in this country.  Even a lot of adults can't swim hence why so many people drown as no one can jump in to save them. 

Sad waste of young lives.  Naturally with all this hot weather, kids want to cool down.  Not realising how deep the pond is... Parents are probably working somewhere else. 

Unfortunately it won't be the last of this type of tragedy. 

Indeed KK.

I see so many ponds being dug - especially this dry-season - with not much in the way of getting out places; if ya fall in. Three sides often sheer; sometimes all sides.

Don't yet know the details. Perhaps I never will.

The village in mourning.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Dammit... when is the government going to to a drive to teach kids to swim?   

Obviously sorely missing in this country.  Even a lot of adults can't swim hence why so many people drown as no one can jump in to save them. 

Sad waste of young lives.  Naturally with all this hot weather, kids want to cool down.  Not realising how deep the pond is... Parents are probably working somewhere else. 

Unfortunately it won't be the last of this type of tragedy. 

Don't know what to say really, as nothing could cover the hurt everyone concerned must be feeling.    

When I was a nipper in the UK, swimming lessons were compulsory at primary school level for any places that were located near rivers or the coast. I'm sure it must have saved many lives. No idea whether that is still the case. It would be good to introduce it here, but the investment would be very high as there are very few public swimming pools here.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/29/2024 at 6:09 PM, GarryP said:

The way they do it around here is they pick the spot and if it is a dry hole, there is no charge. So what I am going to do is tell him where to drill and if it turns out dry, I will pay for labour and fuel costs. Finger crossed. He will be here sometime next week. 

Well that didn't go down as planned. He turned up and despite my telling him that I would cover his costs and labor for drilling where I wanted if it turned out dry, he refused. He would only drill where he wanted. I did not agree so he has gone and we will remain on local supply for the time being. What teed me off the most was his assistant telling my wife to explain the situation to me (they were standing in front of me), despite me already talking to everyone there in Thai.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, jts-khorat said:

Drowning is, unluckily, a fairly common occurrence in Isaan. One kid in our wider family drowned, with his granddad working in the field just meters away, another kid now living fulltime in our temple lost two of his sisters and as he could not swim was "clever enough" not to go into the water, but as he was older was also blamed of the accident and shunned by his family.

I like government-bashing as much as the next guy, but in this instance, that children do not learn to swim properly when everything they know are little mud holes to keep water through the hot season is not something to blame on the Thai government, there simply are no proper swimming pools around. Having electricity and internet at schools is still an often missing feature, so this is where the government should start, frankly.

Such drownings are the flipside of having "happy children" play unsupervised in the countryside. It is, to my mind, still preferrable to the crazy overcaring parents I observe right now here in Germany, where a tiny speck of mud on the clothes is already catastrophe or kids of 8 or 9 are not allowed to walk around in our small, sleepy village after dark, because of "dangers".

Obviously, those cases on the wrong side of the statistic are still very sad and deeply regrettable and I have no good idea how to fix this without putting children into a golden cage without ever any risk to them.

Indeed! Don't disagree with that post.

The lady, who runs the small shop next to us, lost her 3 year-old grandson to drowning. Since, the mum (her daughter) has passed.

The dangers in Isaan of small muddy ponds is a constant worry for parents. Unfortunately, as you say Jts, it's all over in a few seconds. Kids get together and seek adventures.

I've been to the pond where the village deaths occurred. TBH, I can't get my head around how it happened. Unless there is a hole at the bottom that the kids fell into, there don't seem enough water to take 3 lives.

Full Owl Log later today.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/1/2024 at 5:16 PM, GarryP said:

Don't know what to say really, as nothing could cover the hurt everyone concerned must be feeling.    

When I was a nipper in the UK, swimming lessons were compulsory at primary school level for any places that were located near rivers or the coast. I'm sure it must have saved many lives. No idea whether that is still the case. It would be good to introduce it here, but the investment would be very high as there are very few public swimming pools here.  

Just a thought, one of the lads down here near Buriram has a large swimming pool at his house. He offered to teach the kids to swim for free. And yes, we were taught to swim at the local municipal baths in Wood Green, London N22 when we were at primary school.

Edited by finnomick1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, finnomick1 said:

Just a thought, one of the lads down here near Buriram has a large swimming pool at his house. He offered to teach the kids to swim for free.

He offered that to a few kids he knew, or *all* the kids of the neighboring villages?

That could easily be a 4-digit number, meaning constant classes of 20-30 kids in turns 10 hours a day, 5 days a week. Hardly realistic, I am sorry to say, but maybe at 10 Baht a kid a day a business idea if he is also a certified swimming teacher very bored with his life?

3 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

A near neighbour died last week of an aneurysm, aged 56, nice fella had a van and sold lottery outside the local 7.

The old lady and myself paid a visit to the local temple for the 7 o’clock chanting. The car park was busy and a lot of people attending, we managed to secure a couple of seats near the front outside ( inside was already full ).

I was just thinking that he had attracted a lot of people when I saw his photo near the refrigerated “ coffin” ……. yup !…. it wasn’t him !!

Our friend was in another smaller room around the back with about 6 people!!

Anyway he had ( yup, I can’t even remember his name !! ) just 4 monks but their chanting was amazing, really melodic and each one slightly offset to the others making a really hypnotic type of music.

They finished their lengthy part and left the stage with their “ gifts “. Another 4 ( one was a returnee ) came on and did similar hypnotic chanting, it was like some religious Battle of the Bands !! Never seen this before.

Note: not trying to diminish the effect of the obviously harrowing funerals of your local children @owl sees all just thought it of interest.

It very much boils down to whether there are any available salas (halls/pavilions) at the temple when needed. When I arranged my daughter's, and a few years later my late wife's, funeral, I was lucky that there were salas available and the crematoriums weren't already booked when I needed them. But then I was living in Bangkok at the time and it was a large temple with many salas. When upcountry, it isn't always so easy and I have been shocked at the number of funerals taking place in the very small town I now live in. The temples are pretty busy.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, sotonowl said:

Spot on Owl, considering their level is around a boys under 16 team why not include all the boys fixtures in there as well starting with the, er lets say the under 10's. These people are just trying to manipulate minds into thinking the same way as their own bent logic.

Indeed! The Ladies have their own link.

So the 4-0 (not as I said 4-1) friendly comes before Ranger v Celtic in importance. Just a joke.

Good away win by Owls. Great finale to the season; all round.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Indeed! The Ladies have their own link.

So the 4-0 (not as I said 4-1) friendly comes before Ranger v Celtic in importance. Just a joke.

Good away win by Owls. Great finale to the season; all round.

I wasn't expecting much after last weeks performance at Boro to be honest, some looked to not be trying. Then a rumour about players coming out of contract and a few upset as negotiations hadn't been opened at least. Then  one or two removed from the squad and the manager refusing to say why and an improved performance and a deserved win, looked a totally different side from just a week ago.

Norwich up next on Tuesday I think, then Stoke. It's roll the dice time, could go either way, probably to the last game. Great footy isn't it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GarryP said:

Well, we were lucky and got someone else to do the drilling last Friday. The drilling team is really busy at this time of year but we were located in between jobs so they agreed to come along and have a look. Got out the divining rods but this time confirmed that there was water where we wanted the bore to be drilled, the same place the last diviner said there was no water. They only agreed to do the drilling though. Said their schedule was so tied up, they were not doing any set-ups, whether mains or solar. They are from Mukdahan and traveling around this area of the northeast. They had done a bore hole in Kuchinarai in the morning before coming to my place and then moving on to Sahatsakhan, where they had their next job. 

They drilled down to 40 meters and it got quite noisy as they broke through the rock but they did find water and while they drilled that deep, I can see the water in the pipe which only goes down about 14 or 15 meters. It is quite a large size bore and the pipe they have used in it is 5 1/2". Next up is finding someone to install a pump, preferably an above ground one, as I do not wish to go with a submersible one. 

20240405_164954.jpg

20240405_154713.jpg

20240405_165005.jpg

Great pics Garry.

Are you going solar?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Great pics Garry.

Are you going solar?

Not planning to. The bore is only about 20 meters from the house inlet so planning to use this as our main supply direct to the house. Also we only have a small garden so don't want to clutter it with solar cells. FYI most of the time the water pressure from the water main is high enough that we do not need to use our pump. But I would be okay using a pump direct from the bore, assuming there is sufficient water and the quality is better than the local supply (not hard to beat though). 

• Like 2

On 4/7/2024 at 3:10 PM, finnomick1 said:

Just a thought, one of the lads down here near Buriram has a large swimming pool at his house. He offered to teach the kids to swim for free. And yes, we were taught to swim at the local municipal baths in Wood Green, London N22 when we were at primary school.

If you notice alot of Thai kids and adults do a 'doggy paddle' style, if it saves your life that's good enough!!

1 hour ago, roo860 said:

If you notice alot of Thai kids and adults do a 'doggy paddle' style, if it saves your life that's good enough!!

IMO - The problem is the steep and slippery sides of these very deep ponds, which are popular in Isaan. I suspect that the kids either go for a swim or fall in, and just can't climb out. Eventually they are so exhausted that they go under. It seems fairly common that one child gets into difficulty and others drown whilst trying to help.

Looking at Owl's photos, his ponds seem to be shallow at the edges, which would make it easier for someone to climb out. Maybe there's some reason why the deep/steep-sided ponds are preferred by some. Maybe someone can explain.

I have mentioned previously that my wife had one of these ponds dug for free on her small farm a few years back. The soil (clay) was taken away for roadworks. Last month she had the pond backfilled again with clay as it never produced any fish worth the trouble.

When I read about these tragic drownings, I feel relieved that we will not have any kids drowning on her farm.