Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm trying to reduce my electronic media not increase it. Call me old fashioned but I like reading books. 

I wish I had the will power to get rid of every digital thing I own, but the thing I learned very long ago is that they are addictive. They certainly don't make us happier.

BTW, how can you possibly read 3,000 books?

Can you get Danny and the Rattlesnakes on your machine? I've been trying to find that book for years

with no luck. The internet is no help on it either.

I can only find a hard-cover version, no ebook:

https://www.amazon.com/Danny-Rattlesnakes-Yarns-Scouts-Cubs/dp/B00A4CBCUG

Published in 1930 - you're not regressing are you - ha ha?

On 11/19/2019 at 12:21 PM, finnishmen said:

isaan have at foreign, <deleted> place live. i has living 4 year now and newer before no has eat thats same bad, all food have tottally big <deleted>, isan food not have thai food and normal. all have big <deleted> and human no can eat, only thai monkeys idiot eat eweryday <deleted> grass,<deleted> wery bad fish,all food could or raw,or half-raw, all food wery bad taste. normal thai food have 500 x better south than isan food have ewer. all peoples have idiots or little stupid, and IF borrow somethink newer not go back or go back broken. has destroy my hammer drill 2 pcs, now, hammer drill not have cheap 8000 B pcs and has borrow and destroy 2 pcs, and no tell me has broken, same many toold,ladders no newer go back to home if someone has borrow, expensives good guality ladders cost 5000 B but i no can use because have somewere at village. same many many tools and others parts, monkeys idiots no newer pay back or give me back my tools. i no borrow anythink now to monkeys idiots. womans not care husband, o matter what husband say wifes no hear husband newer, if need help somethink newer not help .

But apart from that everything's going fine I take it or is your glass just 1/2 full ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Sterling said:

Owl, thanks for another good update. Question: Is playing cards technically illegal there? Every party I've ever been to with Thais usually ends up with some of them playing tonk (tong/tongits?) or something with a small pot of coins.

Thanks for that Streling

I don't know the answer to that one. In Thailand card-playing is synonymous with gambling it seems; at least from the authorities that is. Which is no surprise, as there could be money to be made, so it is very open-ended.

Gambling is not illegal in Thailand as the Lottery and horse race betting will confirm. Just certain variations of gambling are frowned upon.

There was a case some years ago in Thailand, where a 70 year old Dutch lady was arrested, and taken to court for playing bridge'. Don't know what happened to the other players; maybe she was the only one that didn't pay the on-the-spot fine, or had the audacity to ask for a 'fine' receipt.

In the village next to us, there was a game going and one of the players got a phone call. She had to leave immediately and return home. Ten minutes later they were raided by the police. All taken away in the wagon. The lady that had to return home was a police man's wife. Still talked about after 15 years or so.

As for the ladies in our village; there have been interesting development, very interesting. Have to wait for the next Owl Log for that though.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

Owl Log 25-11-2019

Can't find out what happened to two of the card-playing ladies. Not from our village so will find out later. The three from our village have been released. Two were not Thais; the SinL being Burmese and the other a Lao.

Too much bother for the lads to sort out. So just a 200 baht fine and a warning not to play cards again. The third, a much younger lady, and quite a looker evidently. Been in card trouble before but gets out the police nic quite easily. I couldn't possibly speculate why.

++++++++

A couple of Mildred's mates are moving to Khon Kaen on Tuesday, so we might not see them again. They had a good time in the pond on Sunday though, crabbing and generally splashing about.

swimming-01.jpg.48e95daa6e6a2c829360963b8f2b90e5.jpg

Who is that sitting down watching the mekongs in the next pond?

mekong-01.jpg.eacd0eb01147737ac0861a1805d6cac9.jpg

swmming-04.jpg.1d95780b59ae89fd29f9d3bac3d4c5b1.jpg

Don't go near that tree children.

++++++++

Checked on my EM store. Haven't used any for a while but it looks great.

636252223_EM01.thumb.JPG.3ef6634db8b69f84a74d3a2403baa76f.JPG

Just peel back the scum to reveal the lovely mix. Plants love it. Great aroma too.

425300796_EM02.thumb.JPG.03fbbeec38a6265777e4fc5d3e4c4a4f.JPG

++++++++

There is a rumour that an elephant show is doing the rounds; the first one for over 10 years.  Be nice for the children.

swimming-06.jpg

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Sterling said:

Owl, nice update. What is your opinion of the schools in your area? Is that a public school your daughter is attending?

Also, I dont think you can go wrong with giving gold as a gift. The only question is how many baht.

Thanks for that Sterling.

The schools in our immediate area are all standard state schools, and are not as good as perhaps they should be. Strange goings on in some. Mrs Owl's daughter was 13 when I first arrived in the village, and I had naively expected something different to what was on offer. They do seem to have improved slightly in my time here.

Milly goes to a school about 17km away. It is a school within a school. The English section is for the payers (300 at 12k a year) and the main school has 900 students. There is a new block being built that will be ready next year (I'm informed), and in the meantime some students are being housed in a run-down wooden block in the next school along.

She is doing OK. Her talent is drawing. A bit like the Japanese stuff but simpler. Her other subjects are probably 12 months behind an English school, although her maths are strong, especially on mental arithmetic. She could comfortably multiply any two, two digit numbers in her head (my regular input). Finding binary stuff difficult though.

Ah, yes gold!! I quite like the idea of holding gold. Those little blocks are so cute! IMO it is only a matter of time before the fiat money system collapses. I think China is buying up gold like there is no tomorrow. According to Max kaiser she has well over 20k tonnes. When they feel they have enough they will launch a crypto backed by gold. Bye, bye dollar, pound, euro and the rest. Suddenly the mighty US, and indeed the western world, will be mighty no more. Countries will trade more openly and settle in the gold-backed crypto.

But back to Mrs Owl. I'll give the gold a miss this time; she has plenty already. Just tell her I love her, give her a peck on the cheek and announce that I've put 100 baht into her phone as her New Year pressie, and there is a little something under her pillow!

• Like 2

On 11/24/2019 at 2:14 AM, bluesofa said:

I can only find a hard-cover version, no ebook:

https://www.amazon.com/Danny-Rattlesnakes-Yarns-Scouts-Cubs/dp/B00A4CBCUG

Published in 1930 - you're not regressing are you - ha ha?

Currently unavailable. 

Thanks for that.

It was a favourite book when I was a nipper in scouts.

I like those old books. I managed to find a lot of the Sanders of the River books that I loved as a boy in second hand book stores. Completely NOT PC and if any luvvie found out I read them I'd be hung from a yardarm and whipped. A real ripping yarns for boys type of book never to be seen again. I've also got a load of Biggles books that I have yet to read, but loved them as well.

I was lucky that my mother didn't throw all my childhood books out when I left home. 

I'll keep looking for Danny in op shops as they get dead people's stuff.

5 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Ah, yes gold!! I quite like the idea of holding gold. Those little blocks are so cute! IMO it is only a matter of time before the fiat money system collapses. I think China is buying up gold like there is no tomorrow. According to Max kaiser she has well over 20k tonnes. When they feel they have enough they will launch a crypto backed by gold. Bye, bye dollar, pound, euro and the rest. Suddenly the mighty US, and indeed the western world, will be mighty no more. Countries will trade more openly and settle in the gold-backed crypto.

Ever since ?Nixon removed the gold backing of money it's all been a con game for the rich to get richer and the rest of us get screwed.

Even so, I think NZ will be OK as we can grow our own food, make most of what we need ourselves. Only the rich and lazy will really suffer. The rich because they'll be poor like the rest of us and the lazy because it'll be an end to the welfare state for bludgers.

With any luck it'll be the end of Auckland ( only Aucklanders like that <deleted> hole ).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, owl sees all said:

The schools in our immediate area are all standard state schools, and are not as good as perhaps they should be. Strange goings on in some. Mrs Owl's daughter was 13 when I first arrived in the village, and I had naively expected something different to what was on offer. They do seem to have improved slightly in my time here.

Due to an inability to move the cursdor about the page, I am unable to correct mistakes, or separate words. Please bear with me despite the errors. I have posted about this on the forum support sub forum

I wouldn't stress too much about school. I left schoolwith basically no qualifications and still had a reasonable life.

Everything Iknow I learned after I left school. 

Aslong as she gets the necessary bits of paper to be able to advance, she can learn whatever shge needs later.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2019 at 6:15 AM, Isaanbiker said:

If you're bored, it's your own problem.

Do something that you like to do and the boredom goes away. 

That's a very nice moped!!

I would die from boredom.  (by Xoros)

They say the only people who are bored, are those lacking imagination... and are quite the bore themselves.

• Like 2