Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

8 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Avocado seeds starting to grow roots.. Thanks Mr. Owl 

848E7671-F462-4863-BEA3-DAB57480B385.jpeg

That's fantastic DJ.

When the treeling is about 15 inches high, transfer it to a small potting bag. No rush. get a good root growth first. I'm gonna do mine today. Pics later.

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

My mate was in North London and he found three Arsenal season tickets nailed to a post. He pull em down and put them in his pocket. "Can never have enough nails", he told me.

Definitely going to borrow that for FB, change Arsenal to Leeds, some of my fellow Elland Road fans might not see the funny side though ????

Might even get some death threats ????

Edited by Andrew Dwyer
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I just asked Mrs C. The ones on the left are called Manao hoo or Mamuang how (มะม่วงหาวมะนาวโห่) I think the name varies in different parts of the country.

We have a small tree in our garden and got about 5kg this season - about 10 weeks ago.

I made about 10 litres of very nice wine using some cider yeast - it takes ages to clear, so most of it gets consumed cloudy.

Yup, the old lady says Manao Hoo and Cherry.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Definitely going to borrow that for FB, change Arsenal to Leeds, some of my fellow Elland Road fans might not see the funny side though ????

Might even get some death threats ????

And I’m going to borrow it for my mob, Carlton… currently no coach and no CEO, but a shiny new President with an itchy trigger finger… never boring… ????

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bannork said:

How are the ponds doing now Owl? Our three are full now.

IMG_20210916_122540.jpg

IMG_20210916_122528.jpg

It's raining right now. Not heavy enough to stop a game of cricket though.

The ponds are between 60 and 70 per-cent full. The main farm gently slopes down to the rice paddy. In past years I would release excess into the next farm through the pipes under the road. I've blocked those off, for the last three years, as I need the water to run into the ponds.

Just not happening at the mo. Another two weeks to get that big rain. After that all is lost, and I'll take stock on what ponds to fill and what ones to empty.

I'll take some pics and post next Owl Log.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Hi Owl,

My wife informs me that Ubon is getting set to flood-plenty of rain upriver..have things improved in your neck of the woods?

Not yet.

Had a shower in the night. Lasted for 20 minutes or so.

I'm being totally selfish. Only want rain to fill the ponds.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bannork said:

There was an outbreak of Covid last month stemming from Ban Dung market. Over 50 people got Covid from over 300 tested. 

I got a free Sinopharm vaccine due to the local scare though I wanted Pfizer.

Last time in Ban Dung, half the shops had closed. That must have been because of the covid scare.

Some of our villagers have had the jab. Not so many down our soi.

Edited by owl sees all

1 hour ago, bannork said:

Blimey Owl, at first I thought you meant the sun was setting as you posted at 3.30. Silly me.

I think you'll find that notice says don't use a detergent/ solution to catch worms. No doubt very bad for the palm trees.

There was an outbreak of Covid last month stemming from Ban Dung market. Over 50 people got Covid from over 300 tested. 

I got a free Sinopharm vaccine due to the local scare though I wanted Pfizer.

I can see the VOA lights flashing clearly from our farm. We're only  3 km from Nong Hai.

Yes, it says not to use chemicals to catch worms. So theoretically, if you just go in and dig around for worms, you won't get fined. Like you say, probably the chemicals are harming the palms. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

My sympathy to your friends..the Mun can be a mighty tempestuous river when she is in spate...

Definitely can. My late wife's father drowned trying to swim across the Mun river to Warinchamrap (the bridge was out). His body was found by the steps of the house so he nearly made it, but the consensus is that he was well oiled when he tried it. About 45 years ago.   

• Like 2
  • Sad 1