Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

interesting ; be careful you dont get reported to Immigration for “ working”.... this lifestyle appears a “throwback” to european farming communities some two hundred years ago, minimal mechanization, simple living, etc......

appealing to many I imagine.... but not for those who come here to relax , laze about and “subcontract” difficult stuff (nearly everything in my case) !

What a failure of a rainy season for us so far Owl. According to my app it's been belting it down further south in Kalasin, Chaiyaphum, etc but all we get are drizzle and short showers 

It's time for those of us in Ban Dung district to take some kind of affirmative action. We need to make some offering to the rain god. I could spare a couple of bunches of bananas and a bottle of Leo 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bannork said:

What a failure of a rainy season for us so far Owl. According to my app it's been belting it down further south in Kalasin, Chaiyaphum, etc but all we get are drizzle and short showers 

It's time for those of us in Ban Dung district to take some kind of affirmative action. We need to make some offering to the rain god. I could spare a couple of bunches of bananas and a bottle of Leo 

Failure!? It's downright terrible! A disgrace even! And they said it was gonna be a wet one! Don't ya just hate Kalasin and Roi-te.

Last year was bad; with only August doing the biz. This year so far, as you say Bannork, just drizzle and showers.

What to do? Not being a religious chap, I don't like the idea of wasting good bananas and beer. The answer is protestation. Let's join together in condemnation. There's your good self, me and Mildred, and I reckon I could get Chai along too. Who would listen? The authorities? The monks? Hat shop Ting?

On second thoughts; select only the best bananas Bannork.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

I should say that the digital age certainly doesn't-in most cases- give a "ratz"...

However I was commenting on Owl's very laudable desire to create an archive for his daughter and,perhaps,other member's of his family.

..and gave some examples of an Air force officer who had done the same in 1967-photographing a Thailand which is/was rapidly disappearing into the mists of time...

18-Toughgirl.jpg

21-Kids1.jpg

05-Girl2.jpg

If you haven't already done so, you might consider posting these photos in one of the photography forums here. I'm sure a lot of members would like to see them.

The new format has made it a bit difficult to find the sub-forums, so here is a link if you're interested.

https://aseannow.com/forum/155-thailand-and-siam-history-photos/

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sterling said:

I just checked @bluesofa's profile and he last visited on June 3rd. Let's hope he's just having technical difficulties (or taking a break from the forums) and he's able to rejoin us soon.

Yes, I hope you’re correct, I think that the forum reset also catches out a lot of people who have trouble keeping passwords.

7 minutes ago, sotonowl said:

If I had any sure fire winners Owl, you'd all be the first to know. At the moment, my system has been working, but it's a question of a) knowing the players, who I've been watching for a few years now and b) understanding some of the bets are going to go down as not all the bets can win.

I watch the improving players and the ones dropping away, although it's not an exact science as they can invariably confound the form and do the exact opposite of what you were expecting, as you'll well know.

The amounts we're talking about are minuscule anyway, I don't gamble to try and win my fortune, just to fill the days up.????

I also cheat a little, as I have accounts in the wife's name and have taken advantage of the "New Member" offers and the free bets when they're offered. I always use a VPN and that probably stops them linking me with the wife via the IP address.

If you're interested, I'll PM you the system and you can try it out yourself.???? It's not a complicated one.

If I'd gone for a win and top 5 it would have been Jorden Spieth. But after the first round van Tongen caught my eye as a top ten finisher. Finished up losing 1-40.

Footy season about to start. Any more golf this year?

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

If I'd gone for a win and top 5 it would have been Jorden Spieth. But after the first round van Tongen caught my eye as a top ten finisher. Finished up losing 1-40.

Footy season about to start. Any more golf this year?

Yes, golf is on most of the year It's the 3M Open which starts today.

First tip, never ever bet on the golf if they're just paying first 5. Has to be a minimum of first 8. They're just TTP at first 5.