Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

7 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I've got a big following at the farm now.

I was hoping that you would have had more rain.....

Nevertheless the plantations are certainly thriving and looking splendid-keep up the good work.Best of luck with the goats and turkeys!

6 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Footy kicked off at the week end. After two games in the Championship, no team has secured maximum points. And last night was all away wins. A strange season awaits. In the EPL, The Irons are off to a flyer. Can't say for sure that they will win the EPL. Too early, but top four; no probs. I told Kadilo to keep the faith. He said to lay off the reishi wine.

Thanks for not mentioning Leeds ☹️

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Leccy bill just 900 baht last month. We don't have air con, but have 5 fans on the go virtually all the time in the day, and 3 at night. So not too bad.

Alot of work deleting the rest of post. So I enjoy following your post. I started out in Isaan not that far from you and relocated. I have to ask your reason for not using an air con especially for the bedroom and secondly and again I'm only curious about your thought about your daughter's education in a gov village school. I have a daughter almost same age and that was my way out of there to improve her educational options. Just curious  as to what opinion is.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:
44 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Footy kicked off at the week end. After two games in the Championship, no team has secured maximum points. And last night was all away wins. A strange season awaits. In the EPL, The Irons are off to a flyer. Can't say for sure that they will win the EPL. Too early, but top four; no probs. I told Kadilo to keep the faith. He said to lay off the reishi wine.

Manchester United were lucky; that's all. Leeds will be OK. Watch them get a netfull this w/e.

• Like 1

Good to hear from you again Owl, I miss your updates  but also realise that you're busy with the farm & whatever else life throws at you, Fulham had a reasonable start to the season, I was mightily disappointed with their effort against Boro, they really should have won that one, I've lost count of the times they have thrown away a win in the last 10 to 15 minutes ???? anyway, enough of footy.

Hope you get plenty of rain in the coming days & weeks, it would be a shame to have to sacrifice a couple of ponds.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Good to hear from you again Owl, I miss your updates  but also realise that you're busy with the farm & whatever else life throws at you, Fulham had a reasonable start to the season, I was mightily disappointed with their effort against Boro, they really should have won that one, I've lost count of the times they have thrown away a win in the last 10 to 15 minutes ???? anyway, enough of footy.

Hope you get plenty of rain in the coming days & weeks, it would be a shame to have to sacrifice a couple of ponds.

Fulham are certs to get promoted. Get yer wallet out; easy money.

Basically given up on the rain. Fear the worst. Was thinking of getting a solar-powered deep water well pump and just let it run and run. But the water table is so low, I'm not sure if it will not run dry. It's an option though.

17 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Fulham are certs to get promoted. Get yer wallet out; easy money.

Basically given up on the rain. Fear the worst. Was thinking of getting a solar-powered deep water well pump and just let it run and run. But the water table is so low, I'm not sure if it will not run dry. It's an option though.

Just noticed that they beat Millwall Tuesday night, I hope that they can keep this up, I re nick named them the yo -yo's, up/down/up/down ????????

How much would it cost to drill a well ? quite expensive I think, I have a mate who built a resort & had 3 wells drilled, not cheap by any means.

8 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Just noticed that they beat Millwall Tuesday night, I hope that they can keep this up, I re nick named them the yo -yo's, up/down/up/down ????????

How much would it cost to drill a well ? quite expensive I think, I have a mate who built a resort & had 3 wells drilled, not cheap by any means.

Yes! They played well. Top of the league.

We have a couple of wells already. One is just 20 metres from pond 6. There is another in the middle of farm 4. That one really is a no go because it is surrounded by euca trees.

To get the whole thing established would be around 15/16k baht. I've seen them in action, and even on a cloudy day, they are good for about 1.5 litres per second. On a really bright day that would rise to 2 litres a second. Don't sound much but over the course of a week; it would be impressive. Something in the region of 200 m3 in a week. But would the water table hold up?

I also need some info on the delivery drop off when the pump is 20 metres down, rather than at 2 metres depth.

57 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Just had a look at a Chinese solar system.

The rate of discharge drops of considerably after 5 metres. At 2 metres the flow is 500 litres per minute, but at 6 metres depth it is just 20 litres per minute.

If any reader has more info; please post.

• Like 1

I’d be happy as Larry with 20lt/min Owl.

My degraded bore in Darwin gives me 24lt/min for 3 min each hour… 

I tested yesterday, after 30 mins recharge I was able to pump for 7 mins before running dry, and we are 1/2 way through the Dry season.

So far, so good.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Just had a look at a Chinese solar system.

The rate of discharge drops of considerably after 5 metres. At 2 metres the flow is 500 litres per minute, but at 6 metres depth it is just 20 litres per minute.

If any reader has more info; please post.

All to do with head pressure Owl but I'm sure you know this anyway. Imagine a vertical pipe full of water which is a metre high. Put a pressure gauge onto the bottom of the pipe what reading do you have? Now extend the pipe by 19 metres and fill with water and look at the gauge again. The pressure will have increase because of the weight of the water. So, conversely, if you wish to pump water up to a certain height, the pump needs to be man enough to do the job, i.e. lift the weight of the water to a different level.

https://www.pumpfundamentals.com/what is head.htm

Screenshot 2021-08-19 at 00.08.31.png

Edited by sotonowl
update
  • Like 2

So looking at the table and your pump set up, for the 2 metres the pump discharge needs to apply 2.85 psi to get the water up there and that just gets the water there, you want to get it flowing in sufficient volume so you need more pressure.

The 6 meter height you need 8.54 psi from the pump just to raise the water up to that head. What's the discharge pressure of the pump? Around 15 psi?

• Like 2

Nearly forgot, Up The Owls and FTB. We're off to a flyer but we can't get too confident as pride goes afore a fall doesn't it. Pigs got stuffed at WBA tonight so all is well back home in Sheffield, going to have to have a trip up there sooner or later.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sotonowl said:

So looking at the table and your pump set up, for the 2 metres the pump discharge needs to apply 2.85 psi to get the water up there and that just gets the water there, you want to get it flowing in sufficient volume so you need more pressure.

The 6 meter height you need 8.54 psi from the pump just to raise the water up to that head. What's the discharge pressure of the pump? Around 15 psi?

Are you saying that @6m he needs 8.54 + 15 psi @Sotonowl ?

3 hours ago, sotonowl said:

He only mentions the footy to keep TBL away.

In the mid-week championship games there were 9 away wins out of 12 matches.

Don't think I've seen that before.

Going to check the water table on one of the boreholes today. Seriously thinking about a solar pump.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HighPriority said:

I’d be happy as Larry with 20lt/min Owl.

My degraded bore in Darwin gives me 24lt/min for 3 min each hour… 

I tested yesterday, after 30 mins recharge I was able to pump for 7 mins before running dry, and we are 1/2 way through the Dry season.

So far, so good.

When I was pumping from the borehole in number three farm 3 years ago, I was getting 3 litres a second. This was with a one inch pipe from 20 metres down. Run off a generator. I was pumping 250 metres slightly uphill, then up into a three metre high concrete tank at the highest point of the farm. From there a low pressure, drip tape system, to the palms.

Still no leccy anywhere near our farms. Don't look like we are gonna get any, although it was promised for this year.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, HighPriority said:

Are you saying that @6m he needs 8.54 + 15 psi @Sotonowl ?

No mate, he'd need 8.54 psi at the pump discharge just to raise the water to that height, any additional pressure would be on top of the 8.54 psi would be over and above the 8.54, the 15 psi was just a guess on my part.

• Like 1

Just thought, what about digging down to the well and installing a series of tanks and pumps at different levels, then pumping from the well into tank 1 which is at 2mt level then from tank 1 into tank 2 at the 4mt level then from tank 2 into tank 3 at 6 mt level and on and on?

Or maybe just buy a bigger pump?

3 minutes ago, bannork said:

Well OKA (to differentiate the owls), it has been the driest rainy season I have ever known in 23 years in Ban Dung. The monsoon has just not happened. Last year was bad but this is worse.

Turning to happier topics, the longer I live here, the more I appreciate Ban Dung. Small enough to be devoid of traffic congestion, it's still big enough to have a decent hospital, clinics, mobile phone repair shops, repair shops for car and motorbikes, a fresh as well as a night market, plus restaurants here and there.

If it only had a river it would be ideal!

Last year a very wet August got everyone out of trouble. Nothing this year so far.

Pumped even more water into the paddies this week. There is only about half metre water in pond one now. Two and a half when full.

Historically we are in the 'monsoon' season for our area. The rain falls away quickly at the end of September. Don't know how the big ressies are holding up. Could be desperate water shortages in a few months. The Mekong has not flooded once this year. So the water tables are low.

• Like 1