Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

3 hours ago, HighPriority said:

Keep your chin up and stay away from the unwashed hoards Ode ????????

We got a confirmed case in our village this afternoon. Whatever that means?! Symptoms, or a PCR test, or doctor's pronouncement; just don't know. Don't really want to know. Just try to keep my head down for a while.

Have to go to Ban Dung for supplies in the week. Lots of little things to get as well as food. Also pay the leccy.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, HighPriority said:

Keep your chin up and stay away from the unwashed hoards Ode ????????

Thanks mate!

To be honest I really don't go anywhere nowadays anyway, but it certainly effects my wife's business and those of her friends.

Apparently October 11th is "Liberation Day" but I will believe it when I see it????

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Hi Owl, if you have a half decent electrical shop nearby you should be able to get an LED replacement for that tube, I had a mate fit one for me in the house we lived in before this one, not expensive, just remove the tube, ballast etc & wire in the LED replacement, instant on, brighter and cheaper to run.

I'll see if I can find a picture and price.

Plenty on Lazada as well, 

Just in from farm. Had to feed the fish and chickens.

That sounds interesting GT. There is a cover that goes underneath. I'll watch the video now.

10 hours ago, rickudon said:

Just stumbled on this thread about a week ago. Have been reading it ever since - 132 pages so far. Another couple of pages and i will be up to date! Some similarities to Owl - came to live in a village near Udon 11 years ago, have wife and daughter aged 10. Only a small bit of farm, and lots of fish. Main difference - useless at DIY, So will not be posting much of that! Apart from the fish, grow a few vegetables. 

Welcome.

Any contributions that keep in with the very broad areas of discussion are appreciated.

What are your fish Rick?

39 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I replaced some of my circular fluorescent bulbs with LED’s but mine are more like this:

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

Plenty on Lazada as well, 

Checked on lazada. Have just what I need. Not expensive. Ordered two.

Thanks guys.

2 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

Welcome Rick, don’t feel down about Owls DIY “abilities” I think he’s best described as “Keen” but lovable ????

Always been one to give it a go.

Ready to fit a solar deep water well. Keeping an eye on the water table.

How is your huge water tank HP? Filled up yet?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rickudon said:

My large pond (square shaped) is for fishing mainly and has a variety of fish - snakeheads, snakeskin gourami and climbing perch (all walked in or came with heavy rain), tilapia, Java barb and a few giant gourami, mekong catfish and striped catfish. Mainly Java barb, because the wife stocked 2,000 without telling me. Not sure what else she has added. This of course all after i had carefully worked out stocking levels and stocked accordingly. She now doesn't understand why most of the fish are small.....

My smaller pond is 80 metres by 10 metres, a bit shallow and was mainly for food fish (tilapia and java barb). Also got the overkill stocking from the wife and has taken 2 years for fish to grow to a decent size - well those that are left. I spent 6500 baht on fish food and got 1300 baht of fish back from sales. rest eaten or 'gone' (where? never explained!).

The big pond is called the Rick pond and the long one the Long water - guess you might work out where some of my fishing was done many years ago?

Apart from that, have a few goldfish, guppies and Zebra fish at the house. At least i did 3 months ago, but i am in the UK currently ( came for birth of my grandson) and fish there tend to 'disappear' when i am away due to neglect and cats.

Wife has a village minimart, which she loves most of all, then her daughter. I come in somewhere between 3 and 10!

Hope to get back end of this month. My elder daughter in the UK lives in Ilford, Walk through Barking park and Ilford lane every Monday, she is near Loxford park.

To be honest Rick, the larger of the ponds is a lake!

Ah yes! Overstocking! A Thai pastime. When I first dug out our ponds, 13 years ago, I also had the stocking planned out. I ordered 5,000 fast growing pla nin (talapia) from Nam Sai. Put 1,000 in each of the first five ponds. The other three ponds were gonna be for different fish.

The were growing very well. One day when I went to feed them, I noticed that in a couple of ponds there were a lot of tiddlers. I spoke to the Mrs about it, and it turned out that a pick-up with small fish, selling from the back, had happened to pass. Of course the guy said there were not enough fish in the ponds and persuaded Mrs Owl to buy 3000. She put 1,000 in each of the first three ponds.

Fortunately the original fish carried on growing with only a little difference between the ponds that had the tiddlers added and the others. When the three ponds were drained there were all sorts in there; including some small commons. I said that they were free for any helpers that wanted them. The Mrs didn't like that much but I got my way.

Had  a similar event with the eucalyptus tree that were planted last year. The supplier said that 1.5 metres was the best distance apart for maximum yield. I said 2.5 metres. We settled at 2 metres. I've not seen a euca farm planted at 1.5 metres that has done well.

I used to fish at South Park in Ilford many years ago. Might have chatted to your daughter Rick, as she walked her dog. Small world!

Remember the river boat at Baring Park; and the steam train?

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Good news fellow posters.

A storm is on its way. Bringing with it RAIN. It should be in our area on Wednesday night or Thursday morning. Could this be what we have been waiting for?

Competition time Owl, we are forecast 80% chance of rain on Monday. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HighPriority said:

Competition time Owl, we are forecast 80% chance of rain on Monday. 

No chance of rain until well into next week.

If we get rain heavy enough to stop a game of cricket I'll eat my,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, rickudon said:

First time in Barking Park was August this year! Born Charing Cross but family lived in South London, various places. The track for the steam train is still there, but not running. The lake is now overrun by Canadian geese and is a lurid green colour. Daughter moved to Barking a few years ago, and moved again this year to her husband's families house. Visit once a week.

My big pond is only about 1 rai.DSC02699.thumb.JPG.e5539058aa64abc910595e89cb978e07.JPG

Feeding the fish in the Long water. And below, the Rick pond after digging, still filling from water table.

DSC02669.thumb.JPG.4008e9b6f2e2ae7c235aa7f0d15689ee.JPG

Great pics Rick.

The water table in our farm is low; very low. Checked it yesterday and water is six metres down. I'm having second thoughts about the solar pump now. If it's six metres now - when it should be at its highest - what's it gonna be after four months without rain?

How deep can the water table be and a solar deep-well pump still function?

Regarding Barking and Ilford. Do have a butchers at John Rogers vid of the area.

Sorry to hear about the low levels in your ponds owl, wife just sent me some photos today, mine are full at last. Will post when i get them onto the computer. Downside of high water table is impossible to drain pond completely and get rid of undesirable residents. Always a few 3 spot Gourami and snakeskin gourami survive, along with snakeheads and climbing perch. Occasionally get some oddities turn up - once found a baby giant snakehead. Never caught any on rod and line though.

That video was great - I walked through that ornate entrance to South Park last Monday! Took granddaughter there 'duck hunting' - trying to catch the Canada geese. She chased them for half an hour, never caught one though (age 2).

Just a snippet to add to the last Owl Log.

Got the other light up and running. The first pic is without the green diffuser.

320011772_lightsworkingbright.png.18e473204ed2a7d8ae73571eb5f22abf.png

Then the green circle placed in.

328143806_greenlight00.png.2ab77255ef4d565f623fd370bf062f48.png

Mrs Owl says "much better", but where are my ear-phones that you ordered from Japan? "You are useless Farang. Next time I will get in Big C. Too slow delivery."

828856375_lightsworking.png.7f540d521ccf9cdca300dd8d27940dfa.png

Fan working silently away. Beats air-con any day of the week.

1768348130_wallfanworking.png.1dd73976780f65dff19cf3829ad216f7.png

Edited by owl sees all

13 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Glad you like the LED replacements Owl, we have LED's in every room now, cheap as chips & getting cheaper ????

It was yourself that gave me the impetus to order the units. Just 74 Baht each!

Been looking at the LEDs on the internet; very interesting too.

Sun's out.

• Like 2