Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

If you have to add water, those are swamp coolers and don't do well in high humidity areas as I found out in the Philippines.

We bought a portable A/C unit with the 4" exhaust tube for the hot air and those work very well, as they are basically window A/C units in a different body.

I had not heard about ceramic bladed clippers; thanks for mentioning those, I'll check them out.

• Like 2

On 6/19/2022 at 6:50 PM, Mutt Daeng said:

Me & Mrs MD tried one of these portable A/C's. It didn't live up to expectations.

Ended up giving it away.

Had the same experience…. Worked fine in the store not so much in the real weather

• Like 2

Best wishes to Millie. Could it be connected to the fogging? I was sick and listless for a couple of days after getting a lungfull of the stuff a while ago but it didn't affect the missus.

53 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Had to bring the budgies inside for half an hour.

You got them back, or did this happen before the "great escape".?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Best wishes to Millie. Could it be connected to the fogging? I was sick and listless for a couple of days after getting a lungfull of the stuff a while ago but it didn't affect the missus.

You got them back, or did this happen before the "great escape".?

Mildred did say she was not feeling 100% when I met her at the bus stop on Friday. I think a lot to do with is is tiredness. If she goes to school next week, I'll get her tucked up earlier.

Had 4 budgies to start with. 'Yellow' and 'Dark blue' escaped. Never found them. Not likely to either. But ya never know. Might come back to see their mates or for food.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Can you send some to Pattaya please, too hot & dry down here, 

Didn't think Pattaya and rain were compatible GT.

i was there in 2007 and the place was under water due to a shower. I remember swimming from Beach road down Soi Diana and round the corner into Soi Chaiapoon to my hotel. Stayed at Canterbury Tales. Is it still there?  Might have got those two Soi names mixed up though. A long time ago.

Had some rain last night. Went to bed early as I was feeling under the weather since Thursday when I was attacked by a load of hornets at the farm. Got six bites. Two on my arm, one on my hip and three on my back. Still sore now. But now have morphed into an itchy soreness. Didn't have a shirt on. That'll teach me. Have to sort them out today. a couple of other little jobs to do also.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Didn't think Pattaya and rain were compatible GT.

i was there in 2007 and the place was under water due to a shower. I remember swimming from Beach road down Soi Diana and round the corner into Soi Chaiapoon to my hotel. Stayed at Canterbury Tales. Is it still there?  Might have got those two Soi names mixed up though. A long time ago.

Had some rain last night. Went to bed early as I was feeling under the weather since Thursday when I was attacked by a load of hornets at the farm. Got six bites. Two on my arm, one on my hip and three on my back. Still sore now. But now have morphed into an itchy soreness. Didn't have a shirt on. That'll teach me. Have to sort them out today. a couple of other little jobs to do also.

My hand after being bitten by a hornet two days ago. You have my commiserations Owl, six must be very unpleasant.

IMG20220630215654.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I remember swimming from Beach road down Soi Diana and round the corner into Soi Chaiapoon to my hotel. Stayed at Canterbury Tales. Is it still there?  Might have got those two Soi names mixed up though. A long time ago.

Good memory. Spot on and Canterbury Tales still going. They have done a lot of work on the drainage systems, and it's ongoing, but still a losing battle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rhodie said:

Good memory. Spot on and Canterbury Tales still going. They have done a lot of work on the drainage systems, and it's ongoing, but still a losing battle.

Thanks for that Rhodie.

Dave was the boss way back then. Give him my best wishes if you ever pass that way. That was my first ever stay in Thailand. He looked after my interests OK. Put me in the picture on a lot of stuff. Would play Chubby Brown vids in the restaurant.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I like to burn those nests out. Put on some protective clothes and torch them.

You are not wrong there Evenkeel.

Was badly bitten by 20 or so hornets about 7/8 years ago. Not nice at all. But I'm not subject to great discomfort, unlike others. I think there are three stages. The first lasts for an hour or so, and it is just painful. The second one is different for everyone, and lasts for a couple of days. With me it is just ultra tiredness and loss of appetite. Then there is a day or so of itchyness. At this time you have a job not to keep scratching the hell out of the stung area. Takes about 5/6 days to disappear altogether.

I like to light a fire and let the smoke do the biz. Today I'm gonna hit them with a spray and destroy their house.

Took this pic just a few minutes ago. The other marks are just scratches.

11bites.png.07e76ae78c4a2e85d67b95628282f37c.png

The one on my hip was through my shorts. They don't care where, or how, they get ya. People have been hospitalized over the stings.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2

Ha ha Owl, we had the teachers round as well, have to visit all the M1 students' homes to check out home support. A good idea imo, does the UK do the same?

A fair bit of rain tonight.

The long term forecast said June and July would be hit and miss, August would see serious downpours.

As always, time will tell.

• Like 2

Well, July is turning out to be more of a hit than a miss 

Did you get the deluge we had this morning, starting at 6.00 am, Owl. Driving my granddaughter to school, the left lane was frequently seriously underwater.

• Like 2

On 7/12/2022 at 7:26 PM, bannork said:

Well, July is turning out to be more of a hit than a miss 

Did you get the deluge we had this morning, starting at 6.00 am, Owl. Driving my granddaughter to school, the left lane was frequently seriously underwater.

Big thunder storm yesterday, and got worse at about the time Mildred was due to catch the school bus.

Gave it a miss. Extra day off.