Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, bannork said:

Blistering hot the last three days, Owl 

You are not wrong there. It is 7 in the morning and already it's 28c. Looks like another scorcher today

Those people back in the UK don't know what 'hot' is. I'm reading that there are fires in my old stomping areas of Dagenhan East and Wennington (just east of Rainham). Think someone is starting these fires. Some funny things happening in the UK at the mo'.

Edited by owl sees all

9 hours ago, owl sees all said:

You are not wrong there. It is 7 in the morning and already it's 28c. Looks like another scorcher today

Those people back in the UK don't know what 'hot' is. I'm reading that there are fires in my old stomping areas of Dagenhan East and Wennington (just east of Rainham). Think someone is starting these fires. Some funny things happening in the UK at the mo'.

I was planning on planting 30 durian saplings this weekend. The nursery, about 15 km from Ban Dung on the main Udon road, has reasonably sized saplings for 350 baht each. But they've grown under the black sunscreen canopies and I'm not sure they'd survive this sun without that protection. Mine would be scattered about between various other trees so I can't be bothered to put up canopies individually 

I might try 10 first and see how they get on.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, owl sees all said:

The 'number 4' market is just a week away. Well worth a look Bannork. Reckon you could get what you need there. At bargain prices too. You probably know it as well as me.

I don't like durians. The smell reminds me of stale petrol. And the taste!!! Only once, about 14 years ago. Don't think it's changed since then. Orrible!

Also those twits that say durian is the 'king of fruits' get on my tits. Everyone knows that the 'king of fruits' is the humble grape. I think they say it just to wind us farangs up.

Thanks for reminding me about the market, Owl. Haven't been for a while but I'll give it a try next week.

Got to disagree about durian. Absolute ecstasy when you get a perfectly ripe morn thong in my view.

It reaches those parts other fruits can't reach, to paraphrase a 70s beer advert for Carling Black Label, if I remember correctly.

No 2 and 3, I'd place lychee and mangosteen.

A brother-in-law's brother moved to Chumpon about 30 years ago. Started planting durian and coffee plants. Worth a fortune now. The brother-in-law was willing to make the move but his wife wouldn't go. There's no place like home/Issan.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, bannork said:

Thanks for reminding me about the market, Owl. Haven't been for a while but I'll give it a try next week.

Got to disagree about durian. Absolute ecstasy when you get a perfectly ripe morn thong in my view.

It reaches those parts other fruits can't reach, to paraphrase a 70s beer advert for Carling Black Label, if I remember correctly.

No 2 and 3, I'd place lychee and mangosteen.

A brother-in-law's brother moved to Chumpon about 30 years ago. Started planting durian and coffee plants. Worth a fortune now. The brother-in-law was willing to make the move but his wife wouldn't go. There's no place like home/Issan.

You have obviously been whacked with the Thai sense of humour stick. Durian is only topped by that fruit Noni. Generally called stink fruit.

There are some Thai fruits that I enjoy. That big as a football orange, grapefruity thing is OK. And fresh king fruit is also nice. Yam lai is a good snack as is lychee as you say. Red dragon fruit is OK now and again. Don't like the white one.

My three favourite fruits are; grapes, cherries and a nice juicy English apple.

Used to live off bananas when I lived in the Caribbean. Only eat one now if I'm starving and there's nothing else.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

On 7/28/2022 at 4:48 PM, bannork said:

I was planning on planting 30 durian saplings this weekend. The nursery, about 15 km from Ban Dung on the main Udon road, has reasonably sized saplings for 350 baht each. But they've grown under the black sunscreen canopies and I'm not sure they'd survive this sun without that protection. Mine would be scattered about between various other trees so I can't be bothered to put up canopies individually 

I might try 10 first and see how they get on.

Just spoke to Mrs Owl, and she says that "durian 'cannot' grow in Isaan."

Don't know too much about it, but I have heard that durian do not do well here. Is that because of the long hot Isaan summers, or something else, like lack of water in the dry season? Last dry season it was dry for 119 consecutive days..

I'm sure a farmer or two on here has had experience of growing Durian, We planted one over 10 years ago and it didn't even see a birthday.

23 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Just spoke to Mrs Owl, and she says that "durian 'cannot' grow in Isaan."

Don't know too much about it, but I have heard that durian do not do well here. Is that because of the long hot Isaan summers, or something else, like lack of water in the dry season? Last dry season it was dry for 119 consecutive days..

I'm sure a farmer or two on here has had experience of growing Durian, We planted one over 10 years ago and it didn't even see a birthday.

i have an irrigation system so watering is no problem.

Our soil is good in parts so I'll give it a whirl for 10 or 15 plants first of all.

Excellent rain right now Owl after a week's abstinence. The same your way?

Michael Fish.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/29/2022 at 8:34 AM, owl sees all said:

I don't like durians. The smell reminds me of stale petrol. And the taste!!! Only once, about 14 years ago. Don't think it's changed since then. Orrible!

Also those twits that say durian is the 'king of fruits' get on my tits. Everyone knows that the 'king of fruits' is the humble grape. I think they say it just to wind us farangs up.

I tried durian only once. It tasted like a slightly rotten grapefruit. My breath for about four hours was smelling like an open sewer, even to myself. Disgusting.

IMO the avocado is the king of fruits. It contains healthy unsaturated fats which help lower LDL and cholesterol.

Apologies for raining on your parade, but grapes are unhealthy. They are high in fructose, which has to be metabolized  by the liver, as insulin only deals with glucose.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I tried durian only once. It tasted like a slightly rotten grapefruit. My breath for about four hours was smelling like an open sewer, even to myself. Disgusting.

IMO the avocado is the king of fruits. It contains healthy unsaturated fats which help lower LDL and cholesterol.

Apologies for raining on your parade, but grapes are unhealthy. They are high in fructose, which has to be metabolized  by the liver, as insulin only deals with glucose.

I'll never get to grips with a durian. Makes me feel ill thinking of them.

I eat avocadoes regularly, but find that too much of them give me heartburn. The new shape of the avo is a bit disconcerting. Why have they started growing them like this?

1928455070_avofunny.png.9c11a8981e948dbba88cc60e52df43f7.png

I don't disagree about some fruits not being the most healthy; I just like grapes. And of course they are useful for something else. If you eat too many bananas they can kill you. I used to eat well over 30 a day once. These were small - a big as ya thumb - but incredibly tasty.

11 hours ago, bannork said:

i have an irrigation system so watering is no problem.

Our soil is good in parts so I'll give it a whirl for 10 or 15 plants first of all.

Excellent rain right now Owl after a week's abstinence. The same your way?

Michael Fish.jpg

Give them a go Bannork. I would think about planting them in areas where they get the relentless sun for hours on end.

Have a look at the market next Thursday  (4th). The horticultural section doesn't seemed to have suffered since the move from the town centre. Please let us know how you get on with the trees.

Plenty of Dunder and Blitzen last evening. Not so much rain.

Edited by owl sees all

3 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I'll never get to grips with a durian. Makes me feel ill thinking of them.

I eat avocadoes regularly, but find that too much of them give me heartburn. The new shape of the avo is a bit disconcerting. Why have they started growing them like this?

1928455070_avofunny.png.9c11a8981e948dbba88cc60e52df43f7.png

I don't disagree about some fruits not being the most healthy; I just like grapes. And of course they are useful for something else. If you eat too many bananas they can kill you. I used to eat well over 30 a day once. These were small - a big as ya thumb - but incredibly tasty.

For some reason best known to her, my GF claims the long avocados are tastier. Personally, I can't taste the difference.

If you are getting heartburn from too many of them, it may be because you are making your gall bladder work harder in producing bile to digest the healthy unsaturated fats.

I have found small can be better in a number of entities.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

And I'm getting taller. It's true. For years I was walking into the bathroom without hitting my head. Now I can't walk through the door, unless I duck. Again; must put that down to moderate living.

Are you sure you are not sliding into Mrs Owl's high heels after imbibing the red wine and Lhao Kaow?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

You could be right there Lacessit.

That moving things and not saying can drive you mad. My Mrs does it with and money. It was in my pocket and it moved to her purse. Simply magic!!

Overthinking is not just a Thai lady thing. When we are here (in Thailand) for long periods we can get afflicted with the same things that earlier we said were nonsense..

There are some things that I stand my ground on though, and will not change. One of these is rubbish.

A few years ago I took the boss of our village to a meeting in Phen (near Nong Khai). He sat in the back of the pick-up with his wife; my Mrs was in the front. I noticed that he was looking for somewhere to put his empty water bottle. I was just about to ask Mrs Owl to take it off him, when he shoved it out of the window. I stopped the pick-up and quickly went back, picked the bottle up and threw it into the back.

Nothing was said until we got back.to the village a couple of hours later. Then the Mrs cut loose. she went on and on about how I made the boss feel small and hurt his feelings.

Later he brought round a pack of water to our house. A subtle thanks I reckon. Not for the lift either. A few weeks later we started having weekly rubbish collections. It turned out that the meeting that I took him to was about the starting up of rubbish collections.

I'd like to think that the little act - even though it caused me to be in the dog-house for weeks - helped to clean up the village. Although judging by the amount of <deleted> scattered around right now, I doubt it. But it was 12 years ago; so have slipped back into the norm.

Anyway. Where were we? Yes I remember now; overthinking.

One thing I will give my GF, she cleans everything. Every day. Including floor dirt I can't even see, with or without glasses. It's when she is cleaning she moves things. I swear she does not use all the detergent in the washing machine, she eats half of it.

Time to mow the lawn, I'll send a photo after it is done. Growing fast with all the rain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Photos before and after, as promised. I mow at 5 pm, in the shade.

This, plus washing the car, guarantees rain.

IMG20220801174733.jpg

What grass is that? Early next year I will move into my new house and will have to start on the garden. Want a small lawn too. Malaysian grass does not seem to be hardy enough, based on the lawn at my current abode. Doesn't handle shade well either.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, GarryP said:

What grass is that? Early next year I will move into my new house and will have to start on the garden. Want a small lawn too. Malaysian grass does not seem to be hardy enough, based on the lawn at my current abode. Doesn't handle shade well either.  

Half of it was planted, easy to mow.

The other half is like Topsy, just grew. Very fine and dense, I have to take it slow with the mower. Can't kill it with an axe, does not seem to need water.

This grass is on a golf course in Chiang Rai, called Khan Mara. It looks like it never needs mowing, and I've never seen a sprinkler on the fairways.

2.png

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Half of it was planted, easy to mow.

The other half is like Topsy, just grew. Very fine and dense, I have to take it slow with the mower. Can't kill it with an axe, does not seem to need water.

This grass is on a golf course in Chiang Rai, called Khan Mara. It looks like it never needs mowing, and I've never seen a sprinkler on the fairways.

Thanks. I'll check into that. No watering would be great. I don't mind mowing/cutting but I find watering so boring.  

• Like 1

Owl, thanks for the recommendation concerning the monthly market.

The first stall on the right entering the plants/ saplings section belonged to a guy and his wife from Rayong. Some fine durian saplings for sale at 100 baht so I bought and planted 10 along with a couple of rambutan saplings for 100 baht a pair.

A big saving, 350 baht a tree at the nursery.

I'll see how they get on, if okay, I'll go again next month for more  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bannork said:

Owl, thanks for the recommendation concerning the monthly market.

The first stall on the right entering the plants/ saplings section belonged to a guy and his wife from Rayong. Some fine durian saplings for sale at 100 baht so I bought and planted 10 along with a couple of rambutan saplings for 100 baht a pair.

A big saving, 350 baht a tree at the nursery.

I'll see how they get on, if okay, I'll go again next month for more  

'That's a great result Bannork.

I know so little about the plant/tree that I cannot offer any worthwhile advice on rearing them.

Do keep us posted on developments.

• Like 1