Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

55 minutes ago, rickudon said:

Durian .... not tried growing it, but have read that they need a lot of water. Sun? Not sure. I have tried a  number of times to grow Mangosteen (one of my favourite fruits). I can get them to germinate and they grow easily to 2 leaves - then they just sit there for ages. They hate sun. As seedlings, only takes a couple of hours of full sun and they die. Wife did buy me a tree which we planted at the farm; I put up shade cloth to protect it and was doing fine. Then a big rain came and the shade cloth was 'borrowed' to stop the fish swimming away from the pond. 2 days later it was dead, the sun came out.

Other news - i have been raising taptim in a concrete tank. Emptied the tank just over a week ago, and put in my 1.2 rai pond - 26 fish, between 8-12 cm long. They have settled in well and i see a number every time i feed the fish. 

Was a bit confused there. From the first paragraph about growing mangosteen, I started reading the second paragraph thinking you were talking about pomegranate (tubtim) trees. That was until I rembered that taptim are also red tilapia. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Bit adrift with the Owl Logs. For the last couple of weeks I've been feeling lousy. Since Tuesday I've spent more time in bed than out. Can't see any improvement in the last few days either.

Thanks for sticking with the thread guys.

Take care out there.

The fact that you knocked us out of the EFL/Carabao/Micky Mouse cup on Wednesday should cheer you up OWL. Get well soon mate.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2022 at 1:18 PM, owl sees all said:

Bit adrift with the Owl Logs. For the last couple of weeks I've been feeling lousy. Since Tuesday I've spent more time in bed than out. Can't see any improvement in the last few days either.

Thanks for sticking with the thread guys.

Take care out there.

Nowt to do wi ammers being in't drop zone i ope Owl.

Either way, get well soon matey.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Yes, you are right.

I was behind the times. Certs for automatic promotion I reckon.

We're hoping it's our turn mate yes. We have the players, manager just needs to keep getting a tune out of them.

• Like 1

I watched a game at Brisbane Road some years ago against Villa. That ended 4-0 to us. Five years later Villa won the top flight and the following year the Ch L/Euro cup.

Also the team that came up with Orient back in the 1960s were Liverpool. Look at how well they have done since. They were very much second best to neighbours Everton in those times.

So we have had our chances. We are on the road back to the very top.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

Owl… Good read as always. Yes you can get heated jacket and gloves rechargeable batteries. 
Had some when took my moto for 9,000 mile ride

in US. I loved it… wife not so much 555

Edited by DJ54
Spelling
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

Owl… Good read as always. Yes you can get heated jacket and gloves rechargeable batteries. 

Thanks for that DJ. I was fishing in Huntington a few years back and I the guy I was fishing with had a body warmer on that had a battery attached. Can't recall too much. But I reckon they must be well advanced from those early days

I have an ex and 4 daughters in the UK. Don't want them to freeze when the gas-tired boiler needs to be on to warm the house, Sure to be off now in the summer but come December?

Those oil-filled mobile radiators seem to do the bizzo; and they are not that expensive, and cheap to run.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DJ54 said:

The power tool companies like DeWalt, Millwalkie etc sell them (of course using their proprietary battery systems…) 

in Darwin I don’t need them so I’ve never tried one on.

• Like 1