Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

5 minutes ago, voulez vous said:

Monsieur Owl will be pleased to hear that. He likes a game or two of chess.

Had an email from him earlier. I'm a little busy with the ladies at the moment I told him, but I'll try to help..

Welcome back Monsieur.

I hope this doesn't mean that Owl is on another compulsory holiday.

• Haha 2

A Nissan EV for 500k baht ?? i very much doubt it, Nissan Leaf EV costs around 2 million baht and a proposed Nissan Ariya EV starts around 1.5 million baht.

You will have to go Chinese if you want a cheaper EV . BYD is the latest brand to arrive from China and the ones to watch if you want a cheap EV.

Detectorists is wonderful !! saw it all a couple of years ago . Spent some time with my daughter in the U.K. recently and tried to get her interested in Detectorists but she wasn’t up for it, i ended up bingeing all 3 seasons again. Top of my list for U.K. comedy/drama.

As for drought, same up north with some reservoirs and natural water reserves at an all time low. The mandatory hose pipe ban came into effect while I was there .

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

A Nissan EV for 500k baht ?? i very much doubt it, Nissan Leaf EV costs around 2 million baht and a proposed Nissan Ariya EV starts around 1.5 million baht.

You will have to go Chinese if you want a cheaper EV . BYD is the latest brand to arrive from China and the ones to watch if you want a cheap EV.

Detectorists is wonderful !! saw it all a couple of years ago . Spent some time with my daughter in the U.K. recently and tried to get her interested in Detectorists but she wasn’t up for it, i ended up bingeing all 3 seasons again. Top of my list for U.K. comedy/drama.

As for drought, same up north with some reservoirs and natural water reserves at an all time low. The mandatory hose pipe ban came into effect while I was there .

In France we have almost all districts under some sort of water control.

The world weather is changing. We humans must adapt. Europe is under stress due to differing factors. A mild winter across all of Europe would help. Many of France's nuclear power stations have been ordered to 'fire up'. What could go wrong there?

Monsieur Owl said to watch the Detectorists. I tried to watch it but couldn't see any humour and it was very short on romance. Not for me. I prefer French Foreign Legion films.  Although not a French film; Beau Geste shows the French to be tenacious and uplifting. A more recent film is Down By Love. Very romantic and suspense filled.

Of course the French have left their mark on many countries. In your area Laos is one. Producers of fine French style wine and bread. And England has adopted so many of our words.. Réservoir being just one of many commonly used French words.

Have to bee off now. I am going to give Zia a finger-tip massage/stroke. I did promise her one this morning.

So, au revior.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, voulez vous said:

And England has adopted so many of our words.. Réservoir being just one of many commonly used French words.

1 hour ago, voulez vous said:

Have to bee off now. I am going to give Zia a finger-tip massage/stroke. I did promise her one this morning.

More words borrowed from the French - "double entendre".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Monsieur Vous,

Please pass on to Mr Owl that he needs to make sure the USB thumb drive he purchased is a legitimate one and not a counterfeit (is that word French?).

Man disreputable resellers are selling fake 1GB-8GB thumb drives and changing the code on the thumb drive itself to report a larger capacity.

Here are some options to make sure he got a legit one:

https://www.geckoandfly.com/22803/detect-fake-usb-flash-drives-sd-cards-ssd-disk/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sotonowl said:

Did you manage to give her one Monsieur, this morning I mean. 

We French do not simply indulge in basic practices. That's not to say we do not make love. But for us the romance and the anticipation is the important thing.

I have often gave my lady a stroke - that is a light finger-tip stroke all over - in the evening and by dawn she has fallen asleep. It's not as the Americans would have us believe all about climaxes. No! The secret is to keep the lady yearning and longing in anticipation. It's what sets us aside from the others.

There is also the food element. Food is an important aspect of romance. Put food on the plate and enjoy. Lick the plate clean so to speak. That is why we eat a cheese-burger with a knife and fork. Seductivity. Look into her eyes as the food is carved. What is romantic about taking a giant bite of a hot dog, with the mustard slopping down your shirt?

Thai PM Chan-o-cha was very impressed when he visited France a couple of years back. "So clean" he said. Monsieur Owl tells me that there is a big difference in Thailand. since his visit. Plastic bags are as good as gone. French influence!

5 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

The heathen I am I have been spared knowledge, let alone attempts of lifting this elephant !

Yes, my successful attempts at lifting the elephant were probably met with scorn and “ look at that smug heathen farang barsteward  “ comments !!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/11/2022 at 10:01 PM, bannork said:

I went back to the monthly market, Owl, and bought 20 more durian saplings, now only 80 baht each, plus a mixture of grapefruit, mangosteen and rambutan saplings. 

Come next month or November, I'm going to need some black cloth to protect the saplings from the increasingly harsh sun. Not sure what percentage to get.

One shop was selling cloth with 80% protection but that seemed too high, could stunt growth I reckon 

Please keep us informed on sapling progress Bannork. Pics!!

I think that black cloth you are speaking of also comes in green. That might do the trick just as well.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, owl sees all said:

My latest disappearance was due to a long standing personal avocation. In short DD. Which in everyday talk is 'disinformation disorder'. Obviously I have to sort this out. And I'll start by upping my reishi wine intake, and watching the BBC..

If you're suffering with DD Owl, you'll need to stop watching the BBC, that'll be where you're picking it up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sotonowl said:

If you're suffering with DD Owl, you'll need to stop watching the BBC, that'll be where you're picking it up.

Thanks for the tip fellow Owl. I can remember the great BBC shows from years ago. We would rush home from school to catch the Wooden Tops or Twizzle. and later, as I grew older, Match of the day on a Saturday evening.

Anyway, I've got to stop the DD. I'll stick with the Owl Log from now on. Although I might venture over to the footy threads every time the Irons win.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Thanks for the tip fellow Owl. I can remember the great BBC shows from years ago. We would rush home from school to catch the Wooden Tops or Twizzle. and later, as I grew older, Match of the day on a Saturday evening.

Anyway, I've got to stop the DD. I'll stick with the Owl Log from now on. Although I might venture over to the footy threads every time the Irons win.

Oh without a doubt Owl, a very British Institution previously and the pride of the nation. Not with the <deleted> it peddles now though which is little better than sedition IMHO.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I'll stick with the Owl Log from now on. Although I might venture over to the footy threads every time the Irons win.

That won't be very often then ???????????? ( Only joking ) ????????

Edited 13 hours ago by owl sees all

The Irons are off to a bad start. That's a fact. But we'll pull ourselves up the table soon. Maybe after the World Cup?

But my number one team is well clear at the top of their fourth tier league. I still live in hope that I will see the Orient get into the Champions League. As for winning the top European trophy; well Man City and Arsenal still have not done the deed. So I know it's hard. But not beyond us.

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

The Irons are off to a bad start. That's a fact. But we'll pull ourselves up the table soon. Maybe after the World Cup?

But my number one team is well clear at the top of their fourth tier league. I still live in hope that I will see the Orient get into the Champions League. As for winning the top European trophy; well Man City and Arsenal still have not done the deed. So I know it's hard. But not beyond us.

Well knock me down with a feather, that's 2 Orient supporters in the same country, my mate is a big Orient fan, he lives tu'p north ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

Well knock me down with a feather, that's 2 Orient supporters in the same country, my mate is a big Orient fan, he lives tu'p north ????

Regular 6k home gates.

Only a stone's throw from WHU's new ground. As the 'O's move up the leagues a lot of Irons's fans will come over.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Regular 6k home gates.

Only a stone's throw from WHU's new ground. As the 'O's move up the leagues a lot of Irons's fans will come over.

Just checked the 'O's only year in the top flight (62/63).

After being promoted alongside Liverpool the previous year - with the best defensive record in the league - we were optimistic. At the beginning of October we were 12th. Had solid wins against Everton and and Man Utd, but a run of seven straight losses, starting in March, sent us close to the bottom. We couldn't recover. And not taking a point from the last five games didn't give a life-line.

On an up-side; we shared the points with The Irons - both 2-0 results - and took 3 from 4 against Fulham.

Down!! But as Arnie famously said; "We will be back."

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1