Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

35 minutes ago, faraday said:

Eartha Kitt - sh!t

Now we are going temporally down this avenue; in Dagenham we would say 'tom tit' and 'jimmy' and 'pony'. 

https://www.cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk

'Cause we didn't pay much attention at school, we didn't even understand what we were talking about. For example Boracic Lint (<deleted>). We would say 'brasic'. We knew about footy (up the Irons) and Ford Cortinas (passion wagon) and Essex girls though.

Any way 'toodle pip' as they say in Coronation Street land.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, pineapple01 said:

Great Road to Drive fast, but one needs to look out for Cycles and the Wobbly Old French Onion Seller on the wrong side of the Road.????‍????

If he went down too fast, he might end up as a Wobbly Old French Onion Cellar.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

Until the beginning of the 20 * century, the English aristocracy spoke only French.

Is that what they teach in french schools?

- 1066, The Normans spoke a rural dialect of French with considerable Germanic influences, usually called Anglo-Norman or Norman French, which was quite different from the standard French of Paris of the period, which was known as Francien.
- In 10th–13th Centuries in France, Latin continued to be the prevailing language in religion, education and law.
- The Hundred Year War against France (1337 - 1453) had the effect of branding French as the language of the enemy and the status of English rose as a consequence.
- The Black Death of 1349 - 1350 killed about a third of the English population (which was around 4 million at that time), including a disproportionate number of the Latin-speaking clergy. After the plague, the English-speaking labouring and merchant classes grew in economic and social importance and, within the short period of a decade, the linguistic division between the nobility and the commoners was largely over.
- 1362 The Statute of Pleading, made English the official language of the courts and Parliament, and in that same year Edward III became the first king to address Parliament in English, a crucial psychological turning point.
- By 1385, English had become the language of instruction in schools.
- Henry IV, 1399, was the first monarch since before the Norman (norsemen, i.e. vikings) Conquest to have English as his mother tongue.
- Up until the 17th Century, written English was rarely used for scholarly or scientific works, Latin or French was used.
- Most English monarchs spoke multiple languages; for some, English wasn't their first language.
https://www.etymax.com/blog/the-queens-english-the-kings-speech-theres-a-lot-more-to-monarchs-than-meets-the-ear/

Edited by Bredbury Blue
  • Like 2

Ive no Idea, but i do know i can understand Native Parisians, but not Farmers from Sothern Provence. Same with Londoners I understand but not  Geordy or Scoots. In essarn my Thai wife relieved a very polite reply for directions

. Where we Go Now i asked.?  Must ask again he spoke Thai Lao. So same for BKK Natives too, dialect probs.

4 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

Ive no Idea, but i do know i can understand Native Parisians, but not Farmers from Sothern Provence. Same with Londoners I understand but not  Geordy or Scoots. In essarn my Thai wife relieved a very polite reply for directions

. Where we Go Now i asked.?  Must ask again he spoke Thai Lao. So same for BKK Natives too, dialect probs.

dialect probs. Others have the same problem too:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Is that what they teach in french schools?

I don't know ..

I left school half a century ago and from what I hear or read here and there, school in France is more and more like that of Thailand;
that is to say that we don't learn much.

2 minutes ago, sotonowl said:

LOL, you misunderstood me my old fruit. I don't mind seeing the bike at all. I had gotten the impression previously, rightly or wrongly, that some poster or posters had doubted your integrity by asking to see your bike in the photo's and in so doing casting doubt on whether you had actually been to the location yourself and taken the pic.

I was trying to defend you, I don't need to see your bike in the pic to believe you'd taken the pic. It's misunderstandings like this what are the reason we've been fighting each other for centuries. 

????

Nah..you have got it all wrong.One poster who has never-as far as I know- posted a photograph on this forum was objecting to having the bike in the photos..

It's been a bit of a running joke ever since...????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 4/27/2020 at 9:47 PM, Odysseus123 said:

Some more photos in honour of my friend-and the Isaan people..

Great pics. Love the one of the girls in the photo of the band with towels over their mini skirts. Females never change- wear exposing outfits and then try to cover themselves so the boys can't see.

On 4/27/2020 at 10:46 PM, Odysseus123 said:

One poster who has never-as far as I know- posted a photograph on this forum 

Just because you've never seen them! I've post(ed) on more sub forums than the ones you go on.

On 4/27/2020 at 10:46 PM, Odysseus123 said:

was objecting to having the bike in the photos..

Lovely photos, but the bike does not add anything- just the opposite. It's like a selfie obsession, but with a bike.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Lovely photos, but the bike does not add anything- just the opposite. It's like a selfie obsession, but with a bike.

As far as I am concerned, I often put my MTBike on the photos because many members do not believe that I am going with it.
Obviously, a tortuous mind could answer me: "you just got off your mountain bike from the bucket of your pickup and you make us a" fake "photo.

It would be something to try on some roads visible on Google-map and which are in reality almost impassable even at the wheel of a 4x4 vehicle .

Never trust Google Map if you don't know the area where you are.
You will very often have very unpleasant surprises.
There, I can not answer anything .. to these "St Thomas" ..:neus:
The Farang and Thai friends with whom I cycle know very well what and where  I go on a MTBike .

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

MTBs are easier on the Eye for us Motorists than those Race Bike things ridden by Bum Waggers. One is ridden by Gentle Folk enjoying life gracefully, the other ridden by Me Me LOOK At ME show boaters.Sorry but those Swerving 3 abreast Clowns are my Pet Hate here.

Bum Waggers ahahaaa I'll be stealing that one.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

As far as I am concerned, I often put my MTBike on the photos because many members do not believe that I am going with it.
Obviously, a tortuous mind could answer me: "you just got off your mountain bike from the bucket of your pickup and you make us a" fake "photo.

It would be something to try on some roads visible on Google-map and which are in reality almost impassable even at the wheel of a 4x4 vehicle .

Never trust Google Map if you don't know the area where you are.
You will very often have very unpleasant surprises.
There, I can not answer anything .. to these "St Thomas" ..:neus:
The Farang and Thai friends with whom I cycle know very well what and where  I go on a MTBike .

Asterix* me old Gallic cock...don't keep falling for it..and enjoy your bike rides and photography.

"Vive la farthing du penny!"????

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

"Vive la farthing du penny!"

I had forgotten this coin that I used when I was in the Republic of Ireland in 1966;

I also ate Gye there for breakfast; product which has also disappeared; it looks like " marmite " .
I sent 5 years ago, 5 years already, a letter to the Guinness company in Ireland and a person very kindly answered me by sending me a document on this subject:
GYE = Guinness Yeast Extract

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pineapple01 said:

Bum Waggers.

Is it the sexy outfit that makes you write that? :cheesy:

I always say that I dress like a clown;
when you are on a bike on the leftmost side of a busy road, it's very good to be dressed in "multicolor" I think .

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

I had forgotten this coin that I used when I was in the Republic of Ireland in 1966;

I also ate Gye there for breakfast; product which has also disappeared; it looks like " marmite " .
I sent 5 years ago, 5 years already, a letter to the Guinness company in Ireland and a person very kindly answered me by sending me a document on this subject:
GYE = Guinness Yeast Extract

Yes mate-the first bicycles in Britain were called "penny farthings" on account of their large front wheel (penny) and their very small rear one (farthing).

A farthing was a quarter of a penny and could still be seen in Australia during my childhood before we switched to decimal currency.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Thanks 1