Tesla's electric pickup truck flouts convention with angular design and armored glass

snoop1130

f150.png.06317fb40fa1e0732022c085ed9d26df.png

When I look at this striking photo I finally had that aha! moment. Elon went to Area 51 and secretly wheeled an alien rover out of one the UFOs parked there and smugly presented it as his own idea.

Ford has called foul play on this tug of war test where the Tesla pulled the F-150 uphill. And listening to Ford's arguments, I agree. Ford has called for a fair test and Elon has replied "bring it on". Not sure what Ford has to gain by a totally fair fight, which would mean level ground too instead of uphill, and surely prove the obvious that an electric motor has insanely more torque than a combustion engine and Tesla stock tires appear way better suited to this event.

5 minutes ago, canopy said:

When I look at this striking photo I finally had that aha! moment. Elon went to Area 51 and secretly wheeled an alien rover out of one the UFOs parked there and smugly presented it as his own idea.

Ford has called foul play on this tug of war test where the Tesla pulled the F-150 uphill. And listening to Ford's arguments, I agree. Ford has called for a fair test and Elon has replied "bring it on". Not sure what Ford has to gain by a totally fair fight, which would mean level ground too instead of uphill, and surely prove the obvious that an electric motor has insanely more torque than a combustion engine and Tesla stock tires appear way better suited to this event.

That test was more about traction than torque.

A pull test with a sled is a better plan, but obviously the Tesla has the torque,

45 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

here is the Telsa bed opening and closing

And it was mentioned the bed cover is so rigid you can walk on it. How many bed covers do you know that the manufacturer tells you it is ok to walk on it? And the tesla one frameless and disappears with a button when not in use. Outstanding portability and ruggedness. What amazes me is how much toughened stainless steel is in this pickup, not cheap plastic like everyone else uses these days, and yet the cost of the pickup is in reach of the common man in Thailand. Besides a sticker price of 1.2 million baht for the entry level, there's total cost of ownership factors that improve the pricing picture even more.

I spoke to some of the staff at customs and also from what I read on a few websites, BEV (ie electric) vehicles in thailand will eventually have zero import tax, irrespective of where they originate from.

The government knows they have to keep up with the rest of the world and have similar incentives etc, and the pollution in big cities is becoming a health hazard. So hopefully 2 years from now, by the time this beast is actually available to buy, it will come into Thailand at 1.2 million baht (tax free) and have proper dealers and workshops available to maintain and service it.

10 hours ago, canopy said:

Bravo Electric Jesus  Pulling a lighter 2WD truck backwards - another triumph of marketing

F150 are over-sized as it is - the Tesla looks like a giant.  Going to be hard to sell wasting electricity to power that thing as an environmental win.  

The Tesla is in fact the same length and width as the f-150 down to 1 or 2 tenths of an inch. Something about this photo makes the Tesla seem huge in comparison; a photography expert might be able to explain why.

Who is your money on in the rematch? Apparently it will happen in a week and both Ford and Tesla are serious about it rather than just some tongue in cheek rhetoric. I think it's going to be ridiculous. Both are surely feverishly googling how to get an edge and setups will be heavily modified by that time with both sides employing every cheat in the book. I doubt which can pull the other is relevant to a buyer. Just another Elon publicity stunt for the fanboys.

On 11/24/2019 at 11:44 AM, Isaanbiker said:

And the rear seats are made for little red Aliens

The aerospace design without a traditional frame makes the tesla a lot roomier inside than other vehicles of the same size. And don't forget under the hood is not an engine but rather a huge trunk for storing stuff.

Read about Tesla - as a company. Seen a few UTube videos.

Customer service sure not their strong point. Refuse to sell parts to individuals looking to repair their own or vehicles which they purchased.

Reminded me of Apple - and not in a good way

So unless you are HiSo - and DGA<deleted> - not a good choice

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Customer service sure not their strong point.

Note: "Tesla owners are more satisfied than any other auto brand's" -- Consumer Reports 2019.

56 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Refuse to sell parts to individuals looking to repair their own or vehicles which they purchased.

Other manufacturers are even talking about putting a safety seal on the hood of the car. Anyone opens the hood to so much as look at the engine voids the warranty.

9 minutes ago, Coremouse said:

Regarding people awed by car-pulling-uphill(questionably)-stunt: does no one learned high school physics or no one subscribing EngineeringExplained?!

There is a lot of betting going on and you could make a lot of cash if you have the data to calculate the winner in advance.

Next talking point. Porsche seems quiet after the clip showing the tesla out drag racing a new porsche 911 so the publicity bait might have failed on that one. Beating a super car is not on my list of requirements, but I must say the tesla performance figures are simply jaw dropping: top model is 0-60 in <2.9 and a 10 second quarter mile from a big, heavy pickup truck. It's not because it's electric, it's because Tesla designed an epic tri-motor and super battery pack for huge performance. And they hit the mark with 41% of orders being for the big performance model.

Back to the real world of Thailand. The Vigo is 0-60 in 12 seconds or something like that. The tesla would already have completed the quarter mile in that time. Even the "slowest" tesla would make total mincemeat out of a vigo. Pickups sold in Thailand today are just so severely under powered and I for one am so sick of these useless, puny little 4 bangers putting out pathetically little power and torque. This is simply not befitting of a pickup truck that will get used like a pickup truck. But alas, that's all you'll get from toyota, the raptor, and others.  This is a phenomenon of Thailand. Many other countries you can get a more respectable V6 or V8 if you so choose. But forget about all that now because tesla performance is the new king and sets the mark to judge all others. Competition is a great thing to have. Let Tesla in Thailand and everyone else is squashed and must get up to date.

Range. Top cyber truck model has a range of 800km. Many could drive from pretty far across Thailand, and possibly back home again, without needing to recharge. That could be a key convenience and is noteworthy in a country without charging stations.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, transam said:

Comparing a gas ride against an electric ride is a bit like diesel vs nuclear submarines,

Only a bit. Unlike nuclear vs diesel submarines comparing a Toyota vigo vs a Tesla cybertruck is a direct and valid comparison for buyers--same class of vehicle, same price range, same usage model, same market segment of customers.

And again, don't be fooled into thinking electric vehicles necessarily means a quicker car. The nissan leaf is small and light sedan and electric and yet only does a 15 second quarter mile. Not bad at all, but nothing to write home about. The reason Tesla's huge, heavy, non-aerodynamic pickup truck can beat a super car is only because they have an absolute beast of motor system and such a superb battery pack. It's not that it's electric that matters, but that it's a Tesla. I would also expect the cybertruck to run the Nurburgring in eye raising lap times. Not because it's electric, but because Tesla put so much thought into their advanced suspension. The gas suspension adapts by itself to the load and road conditions. And one of clever benefits is Tesla had the idea to add an air compressor port from this gas system so you can use the vehicle as an air compressor. How cool is that? Again, nothing to do with electric vs diesel. So you can paint your house using your car and run nail guns and things with it all day long. And even do so without grid power of any kind and never turn on a generator. Excellent for contractors, DIY people, camping. And if a handy person gets a flat he can patch & pump her right back up with the built in air compressor and continue driving from anywhere without calling, waiting, and paying for help. Nice.

Don't think for a second this is just an electric motor plopped into a conventional pickup. Tesla redesigned absolutely everything, and then some. We are looking at something so extraordinary in every way. I've never seen anything like this happen in my life. The part that confuses me more than this is how the price is so low. It's like pricing a Lamborghini down there with a Yaris. It's just so out of that league but the price is so way down there.

On 11/23/2019 at 12:53 PM, worgeordie said:

It looks like something a sheet metal worker would

knock up in his spare time,if he did not have an english wheel.

regards worgeordie

Too bad an english wheel won't work on 302 cold-rolled. Form follows function.

On 11/24/2019 at 9:50 AM, Don Mega said:

Monocoque vehicle bodies have been around for along time, To my knowledge only Honda has done it with a pickup to date.

Body on frame is cheaper to manufacture so I guess thats why the manufacturers still go that route.

It most definitely IS NOT a monocoque. It is an exoskeleton. Not anything like a traditional unibody.

On 11/22/2019 at 5:43 PM, Crossy said:

Yuk!

Yep. Why can't they just build a conventional truck based on sound engineering rather than science fiction. Reinforces the fact that people buy electric vehicles to feel good about themselves and to stand out rather than any higher cause.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Yep. Why can't they just build a conventional truck based on sound engineering rather than science fiction. Reinforces the fact that people buy electric vehicles to feel good about themselves and to stand out rather than any higher cause.

But, you/we will all be driving your "science fiction" rides in the not too distant future. Diesel cars being banned from city centres is just the start.  ????