Tesla's electric pickup truck flouts convention with angular design and armored glass

snoop1130

If you see the presentation he shows a pic of the typical pickup and mentions that we have been seeing and using the same tech for the last 100 years. 

He built something completely new from the ground up which is very innovative. It therefore allowed the platform and space to get around many limitations.

This new pickup may look strange but the specs (as mentioned by the above post) are undoubtedly incredible.

Also he mentions amongst many things is the handling is ‘like on rails’. I don’t know if you all have seen the way normal pickups handle, is terrible. They lose control very easily and I see so many crashes because of this in Thailand (also poor driver ability)

People will inevitably dismiss it on face value because it is different but I think is important to leave space to see how the reviews are. I mean actually driving it, using it day to day as a means of transport and utility, for work etc.

Also it appears to be quite popular, Elon Musk announced that Tesla already received 146,000 Cybertruck pre-orders just over a day after they unveiled it.

Edited by madhav
  • Like 1

I'm another unsure about the styling, but the specifications are incredible!

A pickup that does 0-100 in about 3 seconds and a 10 second quarter mile!

Perhaps not fully appreciated by Europeans, but without a whopping big V8 up front, the approach (and departure) angles are incredible.

Self driving, trailer docking, etc. for 40,000 usd.

tesla.JPG

tesla2.JPGtesla3.JPG

image.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canopy said:

That's a good lead into another unique attribute of this pickup.  Unlike others Tesla has a cold rolled stainless steel exoskeleton, the same used on Tesla rockets. And unlike others pickups, it does not have a frame. Think of the old days bi-planes were made of wood frames with canvas wrapped around it. Modern planes the aluminum skin of the fuselage/wing IS the frame. This is stronger and lighter. People who rode in the cyber truck said it resulted in more spaciousness even though from the outside it is the same size as others.

es.png.a78f5687bb0f35a38eeaf96ab67d5bda.png

And as we saw, it's so tough it takes 9mm bullets and sledge hammers don't dent it. While Tesla leveraged technology from the aerospace industry, all the other pickups are still out there building old fashioned frames. I don't know why no other auto maker has innovated the pickup in the last 100 years. Tesla has completely rethought everything from the ground up. It makes all the others seem so utterly boring for being the same old thing with different badges. I am thinking how could I ever be happy with a normal pickup after seeing what a pickup could/should really be like? I almost wish I hadn't seen it.

The pickup designs are not entirely unchanged in a 100 years. A lot of time has been spent on safety. Engineering crumple zones and cabin safety. I do wonder what would be left of a no frame Tesla after a big impact. It might be in one piece, but how do you straighten out? And the energy of the crash, where does that go?

I would love to see some crash info

Agreed and good points. Surely passing crash testing has been fully thought out and Tesla is the best in the business at it. But I also wish to learn the details to the issues you raised due to the very different attributes of their exoskeleton. I wonder if a moderate crash, even if safe for the occupants, could total it instead of being a new front end like a regular truck. Again, good points to watch.

2 hours ago, canopy said:

That's a good lead into another unique attribute of this pickup.  Unlike others Tesla has a cold rolled stainless steel exoskeleton, the same used on Tesla rockets. And unlike others pickups, it does not have a frame. Think of the old days bi-planes were made of wood frames with canvas wrapped around it. Modern planes the aluminum skin of the fuselage/wing IS the frame. This is stronger and lighter. People who rode in the cyber truck said it resulted in more spaciousness even though from the outside it is the same size as others.

es.png.a78f5687bb0f35a38eeaf96ab67d5bda.png

And as we saw, it's so tough it takes 9mm bullets and sledge hammers don't dent it. While Tesla leveraged technology from the aerospace industry, all the other pickups are still out there building old fashioned frames. I don't know why no other auto maker has innovated the pickup in the last 100 years. Tesla has completely rethought everything from the ground up. It makes all the others seem so utterly boring for being the same old thing with different badges. I am thinking how could I ever be happy with a normal pickup after seeing what a pickup could/should really be like? I almost wish I hadn't seen it.

Monocoque vehicle bodies have been around for along time, To my knowledge only Honda has done it with a pickup to date.

Body on frame is cheaper to manufacture so I guess thats why the manufacturers still go that route.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, canopy said:

Agreed and good points. Surely passing crash testing has been fully thought out and Tesla is the best in the business at it. But I also wish to learn the details to the issues you raised due to the very different attributes of their exoskeleton. I wonder if a moderate crash, even if safe for the occupants, could total it instead of being a new front end like a regular truck. Again, good points to watch.

I thought of it because my brother had a Delorean and he was quite concerned about body damage. You can't use bodyfiller when you have a car with no paint, and where would you get replacement panels. A good hailstorm would have destroyed the value. Not that there was much value. He sold it in very good condition for about a third of the sticker price.

• Like 2

On 11/22/2019 at 6:55 PM, Scot123 said:

Ah another carbon footprint for a vehicle that no doubt equals 5 or more conventional vehicles which uses electricity obtained by even larger carbon footprints which neve will reach zero carbon. How stupid people are and the same smug people preaching this flying around in their private jets saying at cocktail parties all about their electric vehicles they do not use. 

Yep.  The energy wasted by dragging heavy batteries about, the energy conversion losses, the pollution from the power stations, the toxic waste from used batteries, and the energy, plastic and water used to build any new car means that keeping your old internal combustion F150 or Vigo is much more environmentally friendly than buying a Tesla.

But then you won't look smug like the Toyota Pious drivers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

I'm another unsure about the styling, but the specifications are incredible!

A pickup that does 0-100 in about 3 seconds and a 10 second quarter mile!

Perhaps not fully appreciated by Europeans, but without a whopping big V8 up front, the approach (and departure) angles are incredible.

Self driving, trailer docking, etc. for 40,000 usd.

tesla.JPG

tesla2.JPGtesla3.JPG

image.png

Great post.

Can't wait to get one.

2 hours ago, transam said:

I note that Tesler lost 6% over the broken glass, Musk himself has lost over $768,000,000..

Ouch!........ ????

There was more than the glass. The wobbly back wheel and the reskinned Yamaha ATV also goes to show what a con Tesla really is.

Tesla will be absolutely crushed by the competition the following 1-2 years.

1 minute ago, Kinnock said:

F150 or Vigo is much more environmentally friendly than buying a Tesla.

There's no free lunch that's for sure. Electric vehicles are in some ways better, some ways worse environmentally speaking and it's a valid element of choosing a car. But a lot of studies conclude electric overall is better for the environment and it's improving over time. Some examples. Tesla is sees a 1 million mile battery within reach now. Cleaning at the smoke stack can be more efficient than at the tail pipe. We also have to look at the Thai perspective where diesel pickups merrily belch out towers of black smoke with really bad emissions. I'd still be happy to look at any reference you have that backs up your above assertion.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

Yep.  The energy wasted by dragging heavy batteries about, the energy conversion losses, the pollution from the power stations, the toxic waste from used batteries, and the energy, plastic and water used to build any new car means that keeping your old internal combustion F150 or Vigo is much more environmentally friendly than buying a Tesla.

But then you won't look smug like the Toyota Pious drivers.

I am wondering how did you come to the above conclusions? Did you read a report by Exxon Mobil or something?

Almost all your points are incorrect.

4 hours ago, canopy said:

Specs and pictures abound and the bed is out of this world! They nailed it, another grand slam. One thing I hate about the bed size of regular pickups like the vigo smart cab is the bed is 6 feet long, always annoyingly just a little too short to fit 2 meter long stuff in Thailand where imperial 6 feet makes little sense. The Tesla bed is 2 meters long, hurray! Load capacity is 3500 pounds with adaptive gas suspension. Suspension will tilt back the truck, raising the front and lowering the back for ease of loading. The tailgate can open downward and telescope out into a loading ramp. I am surprised no one is talking about the ability to close the bed. You can extend an integrated roof over the bed to make it a locked vault. Bingo, 100 cubic feet of storage safe from theft and rain. Bed lighting for night time operation. They thought of everything, then thought of way more.

nl1.png.01f67013a6733ac493c02827d5b5c324.png

nl2.png.7a85af9b7c50072164e75c3cb4dcf13f.png

nl3.png.ebdceb53dd4787e16214fe81d82270b3.png

nl4.png.106d1bfe3287902b0b6a295bf755210d.png

Thanks for the pictures of the truck bed and the tailgate ramp, but it hasn't changed my opinion that it is one of the ugliest vehicles around. But that is only my opinion and others may think differently to me.

The latest from Sky News and other media outlets):-"

Tesla boss Elon Musk saw more than three-quarters of a billion dollars wiped off his fortune after a botched launch of his latest electric vehicle.

Shares in the firm slid following the bungled unveiling of the pickup truck, which had its supposedly unbreakable window glass shatter twice during a demonstration.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, canopy said:

Old news. This just in:

About 150,000 orders thus far for Tesla Cybertruck

"146k Cybertruck orders so far, with 42% choosing dual, 41% tri & 17% single motor", Musk said in a tweet, adding separately that the orders were achieved without any advertising or paid endorsements.

Holy cow, that's close to $10 billion US dollars in sales lining up in the first few days. I am sure you fellas so concerned about the glass will find this a heart warming moment and now cheer and congratulate Elon on a job well done.

hahahaha, I call bull<deleted>e on the orders.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, canopy said:

Old news. This just in:

About 150,000 orders thus far for Tesla Cybertruck

"146k Cybertruck orders so far, with 42% choosing dual, 41% tri & 17% single motor", Musk said in a tweet, adding separately that the orders were achieved without any advertising or paid endorsements.

Holy cow, that's close to $10 billion US dollars in sales lining up in the first few days. I am sure you fellas so concerned about the glass will find this a heart warming moment and now cheer and congratulate Elon on a job well done.

Why should I congratulate Musk for doing his job?

If anything I would make sure that before I show it off to the public and say that the windows are armoured and bullet proof, that they actually are armoured and bullet proof.

Looking at the photo of the truck bed with the ATV on it means that you cannot close the cover.

10 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

It is a "pickup"  but just try and find an image or picture of the truck bed

Don't know about anyone else but the only real reason to purchase a pickup is so that you can use it to pickup things, something that is a real mystery with what we have see so far 

Notice no wheel wells?

Image result for tesla pickup truck bed

12 hours ago, billd766 said:

If anything I would make sure that before I show it off to the public and say that the windows are armoured and bullet proof, that they actually are armoured and bullet proof.

ct.png.237e254444da90f4d57469058d0635a5.png

Not excusing anything, just answering your question. Just before the demo started they gave it an adlib toss to see what would happen and it didn't break. Full video here: Musk Shares Video Of Cybertruck Window NOT Breaking During Demo.

ct2.png.b42d5a68d81cd36146fb4c2ec0720e5c.png

ct3.png.18525bb846d64ef8691f884768d322de.png

Above. The biggest secret of the demo is the first test no one knows about. It was more scientific. They shattered normal pickup glass using very measured, precise, repeatable methods and the Tesla glass clearly outperformed it by a mile. I don't think they claim the tesla windows are bullet proof, but they showed the stainless steel body can stop a 9mm bullet (but it does dent) and makes you wonder if a 10mm bullet would go through. What I came away with regarding the glass is one of the most memorable demo failures ever, an understanding the tesla glass is stronger than that on regular pickups, though not sure what that means real world. A steel ball I can't understand what that means real world. I would have preferred they peppered the windshield with various sized sharp rocks like pop corn at high speed like a rock would hit it driving down the road and show the performance versus traditional glass. I could appreciate what that means.

Orders keep piling up; 187,000 is the latest number. That's pretty impressive people throw about 20 million bucks in deposits at you (and it will go way up) for unveiling the ugliest truck ever made at a botched, cheesy demo, and it won't be built for years. I guess there were a lot of people that saw what I did--the most amazing truck ever imagined that is light years ahead of what we drive today in every way. The price, performance (big model out drag races a porsche 911!), specifications, and features are outstanding and they did all this in version 1.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, billd766 said:

I missed the part where the glass did not defeat a bullet, do you have a link to that ?

I like it :thumbsup:

A couple of points. There are no tie down hooks on the outside of the load bay. Most pickups don't anyway, but it's a help when tying down more than just your week end shopping.

Looking at the picture the wheelbase seems a bit long for serious off road use.

:smile:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

There are no tie down hooks on the outside of the load bay

I see what look like slots to run ropes around near the bottom. The genius of this is by being down low, you can now tie down very low loads, not just high ones. Also the flush mounting is nice not having hooks extend into the bed and thus not getting in the way. Also notice yet another storage space other pickups don't have.

Another real cool thing about the bed design is there is no longer a need to buy those big black plastic bed liners that cost hundreds of dollars anymore that also eat a bit of space. This is because you don't need to protect the bed from rusty scratches and dings because the bed is stainless steel and a sledge hammer won't dent it.

ct4.jpg.d9355f23464f2e6b551da13581b5748d.jpg

45 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

Looking at the picture the wheelbase seems a bit long for serious off road use.

You are just secretly ASKING for the juicy specs aren't you? ???? I was drawn to it having double the ground clearance of a Vigo 4x4 and the same as a military off road Humvee. They did it again, another home run.

ct5.png.12abf96160ec3efbfb3c7eb6c0ccff21.png

Edited by canopy
  • Like 1