What if my wife dies before me?

Just now, Autonuaq said:

Why do you not apply for permament residence?

Solve a lot of problems and your are equal to thai nationals too.

Not worry if your wife passes away before your time was up.

Your have non O based on marriange I presume that woudl all make easier for you to get permanent residence granted.

I've actually been working on getting all of the requirements sorted for this. I plan on trying this at some point soon. Being in Phuket and having to do the meetings in BKK is a drawback. I don't like the idea of going through an agent, but in my case it might make a bit more sense. 

Cheers

21 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

That´s good, but my bank accounts is during the time when the Baht is so high, so low as possible. I have some 10k Euros in my safe, but my heart would hurt so much if I would change them now.

I feel for you, buddy.

I split my money into three currencies a long time ago: Baht, Singapore dollars, and US. I can only get hammered so much with this plan... fingers crossed. ????

35 minutes ago, Galong said:

I feel for you, buddy.

I split my money into three currencies a long time ago: Baht, Singapore dollars, and US. I can only get hammered so much with this plan... fingers crossed. ????

My income (dividends) is in Euro. So I have no chance to split ????

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Galong said:

Yep, just need to know if I actually need to buy insurance or not... it would be an unpleasant/expensive surprise if I do as I've planned my life around using Thai Social Security as my healthcare plan.  It covers everything and I'm very happy with the hospital here in Phuket that is in the SS system.  In other words, life is good... unless the big bosses in BKK decide to change the rules. ????

I work on a NON-O marriage visa and with the SS in my personal name

Never ever even been asked about that...

Retirement is for IO an easier visa as they can approve themselves, maybe a better way to go when you stop working at least that is my plan as the flow of docs for a non o marriage is a little too much in my opinion

32 minutes ago, jumbo said:

Retirement is for IO an easier visa as they can approve themselves, maybe a better way to go when you stop working at least that is my plan as the flow of docs for a non o marriage is a little too much in my opinion

Hi Jumbo... sorry, I don't really follow what you're saying. Are you saying that a retirement Non-O is easier for the IO as there is a lot less documentation?  It still boils down to this question about 'what if' they change the law and require Non-O folks (working or retired) to show insurance in addition to their Thai SS.  I read a couple of posts where the commenter said Thai SS is NOT consider insurance, even though it obviously IS!  I hope they sort all of this out and make a defined law concerning folks like us.

I'm 64 and have a pre existing condition. Getting additional insurance on top of my Thai SS would be a HUGE investment, that is, IF I could actually get it... and it would be somewhat superfluous as I've got wonderful healthcare through the awesome Thai SS scheme... geez, this is consuming way too much of my limited brain space. ????

Much thanks for your comment and any followup you have.  Peace. ????

On 11/23/2019 at 10:13 AM, Galong said:

I don't have any Thai children.

Yep, I'm not sure if I would want to live in Thailand without my wife... might go back home as it would be too depressing living here without her.

I guess the Thai Elite Visa would be another (expensive) option if I did want to stay here and things didn't work out with the regular retirement options. That seems hassle-free, though quite pricey.

Thanks for your comment. 

That would make for a good poll question. "How many would stay in Thailand if your spouse died?"

2 minutes ago, Galong said:

Are you saying that a retirement Non-O is easier for the IO as there is a lot less documentation?

It is a local office decision - marriage requires review and approval of higher level.  So safer for officer and less paperwork required of applicant and normally same day service rather than come back next month.

That said marriage is not that much more trouble for most people as long as spouse and applicant physically able to attend for application meeting.  More copies or documents main thing and few photos to help show living together.  There may be a later visit to confirm (although that can happen with retirement as well).

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Galong said:

Hi AtlasAus, I have it through working here. I had it long before I got married. It's not linked in any way to my marriage. 

I don't think it's available to any foreigners who don't have a Work Permit.  I do know that when/if I retire, I can stay on the program, but I assume that is only because of my many years of working here.

Thanks mate. 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

It is a local office decision - marriage requires review and approval of higher level.  So safer for officer and less paperwork required of applicant and normally same day service rather than come back next month.

That said marriage is not that much more trouble for most people as long as spouse and applicant physically able to attend for application meeting.  More copies or documents main thing and few photos to help show living together.  There may be a later visit to confirm (although that can happen with retirement as well).

Hi Lopburi3, thanks for the explanation.  We're already married... have been for years.  That process was quite easy actually.

Yes, I would think that being so (having been married for a while and having all of the accompanying info/docs), it should be a cakewalk if I decide to go from married O working to married O retired.  

I'm still (unnecessarily?) concerned about them changing the need for insurance in spite of having Thai SS.  I need to learn how to relax.  ????????

Cheers 

8 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

On a similar vein to this topic, what happens if a wife is ex government (as mine is) and i am covered for hospital visits and medicals etc, if she dies, i presume my coverage dies as well?

Hi Max,  I don't know what sort of insurance government employees have in addition to Social Security, if any.  You might want to check to see if you're actually getting the Thai SS.  If you are, you can continue to contribute to it and get the benefits.  

Do you have a card to present the hospitals when you visit?  My SS card is blue and white with a triangular logo.   Probably best to ask your wife what you actually have. If you're not actually working, I question whether you'd be on the Thai SS system... that would be a guess on my part.

Best of luck.

3 hours ago, Longcut said:

That would make for a good poll question. "How many would stay in Thailand if your spouse died?"

I only travel to Thailand to be with and stay with the wife and son (since April 2018, before that just 30 day entries using every hour of leave I could get from work). Different to those who have worked and integrated in Thailand over many years. I have no feeling to go into retirement mode in Thailand. Time would perhaps be split more evenly between the Son if he, (likely) preferred Thailand (Thai but UK citizen) and the Daughter (British but Thai Citizen), and soon to be grandson, in the UK, but since she has a Husband to look after her, the son would have priority. 

Of course the wife ❤️  is a decade younger than me and very healthy, and can but hope that scenario never occurs!

Would need to phrase the poll carefully, that question may suggest they would not want to come back, but I would if welcome to do so!

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Galong said:

Hi Lopburi3, thanks for the explanation.  We're already married... have been for years.  That process was quite easy actually.

Yes, I would think that being so (having been married for a while and having all of the accompanying info/docs), it should be a cakewalk if I decide to go from married O working to married O retired.  

I'm still (unnecessarily?) concerned about them changing the need for insurance in spite of having Thai SS.  I need to learn how to relax.  ????????

Cheers 

Hi Galong

Yes, I think you are unnecessarily concerned because the SS is the only insurance accessible for (working) foreigners that really covers 100% of all medical issues. Relax and enjoy man...

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Lopburi is correct on the way he describes the extra documents and copies plus some pictures, for extension on marriage versus retirement. 

That's just it.. but I prefer the easy way. Done it in 2014 when I retired (temporarily) and I found it a lot less hassle.. To each his choice.

On 11/24/2019 at 1:37 PM, Galong said:

Hi Max,  I don't know what sort of insurance government employees have in addition to Social Security, if any.  You might want to check to see if you're actually getting the Thai SS.  If you are, you can continue to contribute to it and get the benefits.  

Do you have a card to present the hospitals when you visit?  My SS card is blue and white with a triangular logo.   Probably best to ask your wife what you actually have. If you're not actually working, I question whether you'd be on the Thai SS system... that would be a guess on my part.

Best of luck.

Thanks for your answer, this is  not SS as far as i am aware, i pay nothing in at all hence no card, and  i have never worked here, it seems since she was a government employee (Teacher) i am covered!

• Thanks 1