What if my wife dies before me?

OK, all is good now, but for future reference, I was wondering what would happen to my O visa if my wife died before I died.   I have Thai Social Security for life as I've paid into it for 20+ years. I read a thread on TV about Thai SS NOT counting as an approved health insurance plan in order to renew an OA visa, which is what I assume I might have to do (get additional health insurance) if my wife dies before me. 

If my wife died, I could no longer have a non-imm O visa (or extension), correct?  I would have to change it.  Is there a visa option for folks in my situation that I can get 'in country'?  ... in other words, not go back my home country to get a retirement OA extension. I think this would still be called an O extension, but I don't know.  I'm confused and concerned about possible scenarios. ????

BTW, I am working in Thailand (work permit of course) and I'm 64 years old with pre-existing medical conditions.  Thai SS is covering that wonderfully, but I'm sure other insurance schemes would not be happy with me or expect a wild amount of money for a policy. 

Much thanks for all forthcoming comments ????

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You could remain until normal expiration of extension and then extend for retirement using the same non immigrant O visa entry you used for marriage.  You would not need an O-A visa.

Thanks Lobburi3!!!  This is EXACTLY what I was hoping to hear. 

I know I'd have to double my bank account from 400K to 800K, but that's not a problem.

6 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You would have to cease working if going to retirement.

Yep, I'm not going to do anything illegal. 

Back to your comment about keeping my O visa after she died, having the O instead of OA means no mandatory health insurance I assume, which is potentially a huge issue given my age and pre-existing condition status... fingers crossed that they don't change the current policy to put us O visa folks in the same mandatory healthcare scheme. 

Thanks a lot for your comments. ????????

• Like 1

Do you have any children? You can continue to live here on the basis of being a parent to Thais. I don't know about the specifics, like, if you have to drag them to the immigration office like they require for a spousal extension. Other stuff like home visits / checks, I wonder how would that be done if, say, the kids have grown, married, moved, maybe even migrated. 

I often ponder this myself. I know I can still obtain a Non-O based on being a parent to Thai children, but as they grow and life changes and, who knows, they might not want to be in Thailand. Happened to a friend who loves Thailand but his kids would rather be in Singapore where he's from.

Just hit my 40s, still young relatively speaking. My plan is to make sure I have a home to go back to. I don't really fancy dying here if my wife isn't around anymore. 

• Like 2

Just now, BoBoTheClown said:

Best of luck to you. 

Thanks BoBo... that's very kind of you.  ????

It'll all work out I'm sure. I'm just researching my options and seeing if anyone has any insight into a scenario like this.  Hopefully, I'll die before my wife dies, so this is a for naught.  BTW, neither of us is in bad health.  I am 7 years older than her (64 vs 57... not spring chickens) 

2 hours ago, Galong said:

Yep, I'm not going to do anything illegal. 

Back to your comment about keeping my O visa after she died, having the O instead of OA means no mandatory health insurance I assume, which is potentially a huge issue given my age and pre-existing condition status... fingers crossed that they don't change the current policy to put us O visa folks in the same mandatory healthcare scheme. 

Thanks a lot for your comments. ????????

After you stop working you can extend the SS 'forever' on a personal basis, currently at 432 thb per month for the 100% health insurance

Not sure if you are aware of that...

6 minutes ago, abrahamzvi said:

Isn't an entitlement to SS a proof of the necessary insurance?

Not officially yet. 

The problem is that the insurance is based around people applying for a OA visa at an embassy or official consulate.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jumbo said:

After you stop working you can extend the SS 'forever' on a personal basis, currently at 432 thb per month for the 100% health insurance

Not sure if you are aware of that...

Hi Jumbo... yep, I've actually paid into the system for so long that the head of SS in Phuket said I was covered for life.  Apparently, if you've paid into the system for more than 180 months, you're covered forever.  I, of course, have ZERO problem paying 432 baht/month if I was misquoted. 

The problem is, I've read on another thread here on Thai Visa that immigration isn't accepting Thai SS as health insurance!  That's absurd if it's true.  Thai SS is extremely good healthcare... better coverage that what I could buy is some cases due to my age and a pre-existing condition.   Geez, I sure would like to know the actual facts on this matter.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Get a retirement visa which is extendable (wife or not) after you have finished work.

Have a happy life together

Yep, just need to know if I actually need to buy insurance or not... it would be an unpleasant/expensive surprise if I do as I've planned my life around using Thai Social Security as my healthcare plan.  It covers everything and I'm very happy with the hospital here in Phuket that is in the SS system.  In other words, life is good... unless the big bosses in BKK decide to change the rules. ????

9 hours ago, Galong said:

Much thanks for all forthcoming comments ????

As @lopburi3 said, you can just continue your extension of stay, but based on "retirement" instead of marriage. To my knowledge your SS can continue, but you cannot continue to work on a retirement extension. You might need to pay a small voluntary fee to SS to have it to continue, but worth doing it, instead of considering health insurance, especially when elder.

Extension of stay based on retirement either mean a deposit of 800k baht, or an ongoing foreign income of minimum 65k baht a month in average, or a combination; same conditions as for all of us on retirement extension of a non-O entry.

It might be wise to consider a last will – for both parties – if there are any property; in fact, it's always wise to make a last will, and it's not that difficult.

????

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Galong said:

Yep, just need to know if I actually need to buy insurance or not... it would be an unpleasant/expensive surprise if I do as I've planned my life around using Thai Social Security as my healthcare plan.

No. no insurance needed (so far) for extension of stay based on retirement. Se my above post for SS. You can find detailed SS-information here.

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

As @lopburi3 said, you can just continue your extension of stay, but based on "retirement" instead of marriage. To my knowledge your SS can continue, but you cannot continue to work on a retirement extension. You might need to pay a small voluntary fee to SS to have it to continue, but worth doing it, instead of considering health insurance, especially when elder.

Extension of stay based on retirement either mean a deposit of 800k baht, or an ongoing foreign income of minimum 65k baht a month in average, or a combination; same conditions as for all of us on retirement extension of a non-O entry.

It might be wise to consider a last will – for both parties – if there are any property; in fact, it's always wise to make a last will, and it's not that difficult.

????

Thanks a lot Khun Per. 

I tend to worry a lot about 'what could be' as I get older instead of 'what actually is'. That's not a healthy way to think, but alas... ????

I guess my main concern is if the government changed their policy whereby my Thai SS wasn't considered insurance, which would seem crazy.  I'm 64 with a pre-existing condition, so getting insurance seems out of the question from my research.  I am extremely happy with and grateful for Thai SS. It's literally a life saver. 

Yep, I did a Will a few year ago.  That's covered. 

Yep, I'm aware of the financial requirement if I go from married to single or working to retired.  I'm not rich, but money isn't a huge issue, thankfully. 

Thanks again for your helpful comments. ????

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AtlasAus said:

@Galong interesting topic, I have no answers but do have a question ????  Can I, being married to a Thai get this Thai SS you speak of ? 

Hi AtlasAus, I have it through working here. I had it long before I got married. It's not linked in any way to my marriage. 

I don't think it's available to any foreigners who don't have a Work Permit.  I do know that when/if I retire, I can stay on the program, but I assume that is only because of my many years of working here.

1 minute ago, SteveK said:

I often worry about the same thing. If my wife died before me, then I am sure that I would very quickly become a person non grata, hence my continued efforts to make sure that I die before her.

Same boat. My life would not be worth living without my Thai wife.  She is definitely one of the main reasons why I live here. I'm sort of a hermit. I only really hang out with her. I love Thailand, but I might actually go home if I lost her.   

I cycle in Phuket traffic every day, so the other aspect of your comment applies to me too. I could go out quickly at any time. ????

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Galong said:

I know I'd have to double my bank account from 400K to 800K, but that's not a problem.

Right, but you need to have the 800k two months before applying for an retirement visa on your bank account. I don´t know how this can fit with the situation that when your wife died, you need the retirement visa immediately, because you are not married anymore. 

Another question: when our house is on my wife´s name and I can´t own land, how quick do I have to sell it? I´ve heard during 1 year. Is this correct?

3 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

Right, but you need to have the 800k two months before applying for an retirement visa on your bank account. I don´t know how this can fit with the situation that when your wife died, you need the retirement visa immediately, because you are not married anymore. 

Another question: when our house is on my wife´s name and I can´t own land, how quick do I have to sell it? I´ve heard during 1 year. Is this correct?

Hi CNXexpat... I keep more than that in my Thai bank account, so that's not really an issue.  It does seem like the government should have some stipulation for folks who don't have that amount in their account ahead of an unknown death time.  I mean, who actually know when they'll go?

We rent, so I don't have the house ownership issue, but that's a very legit question. I have no idea how house stuff works here, sorry.

Do you have relatives (of your wife) who could take over the house documents and let you live there?  I guess that would be an option for some folks.

• Like 1

Why do you not apply for permament residence?

Solve a lot of problems and your are equal to thai nationals too.

Not worry if your wife passes away before your time was up.

Your have non O based on marriange I presume that woudl all make easier for you to get permanent residence granted.

3 minutes ago, Galong said:

I keep more than that in my Thai bank account, so that's not really an issue.

That´s good, but my bank accounts is during the time when the Baht is so high, so low as possible. I have some 10k Euros in my safe, but my heart would hurt so much if I would change them now.

• Sad 1