E-sports become a serious business

rooster59

E-sports become a serious business

ข่าว-Eng-4.jpg

Once perceived as a mere recreational pastime, e-sports will be included in the multi-sport 30th SEA Games for the first time this year, reflecting growing popularity of e-sports which has become a lucrative business.

Thai e-sports teams are now attending grueling training sessions to gear up for the SEA Games event, which will be held early December this year in the Philippines, after e-sports was a demonstration sport last year at Asian Games in Jakarta, Indonesia.

As the notion of the cyber game has changed from being a form of recreation to become a professional e-sports competition, e-sports has created revenues for related companies. Kasikorn Research Center expects e-sports to generate at least Bt500 million for businesses directly involved in 2019.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/e-sports-become-a-serious-business/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-11-24

I've never understood e-sport, why sitting in front of a screen and playing games equals sport – not stating against e-games, and other games, they might be very creative brain work – so if that is a sport, then playing chess, and similar games, should also be a sport...????

I checked with Google if chess is considered a sport...

No, chess is not a sport Dictionary.com defines "sport" as, "an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature." As the basis of chess competition is not athletic, most persons do not define chess as a sport. However, chess is LIKE a sport in many ways!

Source: www.chess.com

If chess and like games should be considered as sport, I would begin to better understand the expression "Sports Bar", as we often see here in Thailand, and the healthy improvements one can obtain from attending such an exiting venue...????

18 hours ago, khunPer said:

I've never understood e-sport, why sitting in front of a screen and playing games equals sport – not stating against e-games, and other games, they might be very creative brain work – so if that is a sport, then playing chess, and similar games, should also be a sport...????

I checked with Google if chess is considered a sport...

Source: www.chess.com

If chess and like games should be considered as sport, I would begin to better understand the expression "Sports Bar", as we often see here in Thailand, and the healthy improvements one can obtain from attending such an exiting venue...????

It has to do with strategy, eye hand coordination, muscle memory, and often teamwork and communication.

All teams train hard and have coaches and trainers and agents.

It is not even close to compare it to chess or scrabble. Just because you do not use your legs does not mean it is not a sport.

1 hour ago, elcaro said:

It has to do with strategy, eye hand coordination, muscle memory, and often teamwork and communication.

All teams train hard and have coaches and trainers and agents.

It is not even close to compare it to chess or scrabble. Just because you do not use your legs does not mean it is not a sport.

Dictionary.com defines "sport" as, "an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature."

– was the official argument I found quoted, the question is the definition of "athletic"...????

Dictionary.com says about "athletic"...

adjective

1. physically active and strong; good at athletics or sports:an athletic child.
  2. of, like, or befitting an athlete.
  3. of or relating to athletes; involving the use of physical skills or capabilities, as strength, agility, or stamina:athletic sports; athletic training.
  4. for athletics:an athletic field.
  5. Psychology. (of a physical type) having a sturdy build or well-proportioned body structure.Compare asthenic(def 2), pyknic(def 1).

Wikipedia says...

Athletic may refer to:

Archived