Big-C Return Policy Questions and Concerns

Hello,

I recently had a very disappointing experience with Big-C Online.  On January 30, I placed an order for groceries to be delivered the next day, after choosing among time and date options on the checkout page.  On the following day, I received a telephone call from a Big-C local store representative, telling me that they could not deliver at the appointed time, but that they could come the following day.  Unfortunately, I had already made plans for February 1, so I asked them to cancel the order and refund instead.  The representative agreed and that was it.  Easy, right?  

A few days later, I noticed that there was no refund in the savings account I had used to pay with a debit card.  I waited a few more days and still nothing, so I contacted Big-C to inquire.  It was then when they first informed me that the refund would "take 45 to 60 days."  I was baffled, as every other vendor that I use online has a refund policy that takes about 3-5 business days, and never more.  Still, I just assumed it would take until the end of March, so I decided to wait for my 2,015 Baht refund.  However, the end of March came and still no refund, so I wrote to ask them about it again.  The Big-C reps kept telling me "oh, sorry... we are really very sorry, but the policy is 45-60 BUSINESS DAYS, not counting weekends and holidays."  I checked back to read the original messages, and indeed, there it was: "45 to 60 business days" for a debit card purchase refund.  "If it doesn't arrive, you will need to call your bank, but Big-C isn't keeping customer money" as an interest-free loan to cover cashflow shortages, as I thought.  "We processed the refund on January 31.  You will have to wait.  We're very sorry."

When the 60 business days finally arrived, near the end of April, I contacted Big-C again, as there was still no refund in my savings account.  They wrote back right away, urging me to call my bank, so I did.  When I spoke to the representative at Bangkok Bank, where my savings account is held, she told me that the bank "cannot investigate missing refunds that are more than 60 days old."  "Seriously?," I asked.  "You mean that Big-C, a giant multi-national corporation is willfully misleading customers and keeping customer refunds?"  How can that be possible?  Surely, there must be some mistake.

Surely, if it's true, there are others with a similar experience.  When I need a refund from Tops, Food Panda, Lazada or a number of other Thailand-based e-Commerce sites, it arrives in my account 3 to 5 business days later, and never more.  Why is Big-C's refund policy even possible in 2024?  Is this just an old policy that needs to be updated?  Is it their bank?  Is it my bank?  Who else has had such an experience with Big-C?  Please let me know.

You’re lucky if you ever get it back. I have “refunds” on lazada I still can’t get to. It’s all a designed plan to keep your money. They never give you your money back in asia. Once they have it they refuse to relinquish it

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)

This is not my experience over the last five years in Thailand.  This is the first time I've had any issue with a refund from any online source here, except for one scammer on Facebook marketplace that tricked me into buying cherries for an unbelievably low price.  Lesson learned.  This is a big corporation.  It doesn't make sense.  I'd really like to hear from others who have had the same experience.  That would be helpful to me.  Thank you.

Edited by mikerwriter

Go back to Big C and demand written evidence, including date and transaction number, that a credit to your debit card was processed. Present this to your bank and ask them to confirm it has been received.

My experience with "it has been processed" means that it has to some extent been dealt with internally by the company, not that it has actually been credited back to the debit or credit card or account. Refunds can sit for one or more accounting cycles before being credited to your card depending upon the company's internal policy.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Do check your historical transactions.

I've noticed that Lazada refunds, whilst taking to the "next billing cycle", actually appear on the statement at the date the refund was processed (so if you were refunded on Feb 29th look there on your online transactions) so that could be well in the past.

2 hours ago, mikerwriter said:

This is not my experience over the last five years in Thailand.  This is the first time I've had any issue with a refund from any online source here

I would say you have been lucky, then.  No offense.

I will only deal with online orders that have COD options, at this point.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/27/2024 at 10:59 AM, Crossy said:

Do check your historical transactions.

I've noticed that Lazada refunds, whilst taking to the "next billing cycle", actually appear on the statement at the date the refund was processed (so if you were refunded on Feb 29th look there on your online transactions) so that could be well in the past.

As if I wouldn't have done so already?  Apparently, you're not using online banking mobile apps, because we can check transactions there, going back six months, at any time.

Edited by mikerwriter

14 minutes ago, mikerwriter said:

Apparently, you're not using online banking mobile apps, because we can check transactions there, going back six months, at any time.

Actually, I do use online banking apps and am fully aware of the history available.

I was just pointing out that transactions can appear in the history long after one would imagine they should.

Since you evidently don't need further help, I'll not bother.