Pattaya Grab Food drivers strike over wage cuts, long hours

Rimmer

Pattaya Grab Food drivers strike over wage cuts, long hours

1366-p-05-Grab-Food-bikers-strike.jpg

PATTAYA:--About 150 Grab Food drivers went on strike to protest wage cuts and heavy workloads.

The motorcyclists assembled Nov. 18 outside Big C South Pattaya. All the drivers signed off the food-delivery mobile app, leaving hungry Pattaya residents searching for other dining options.

Driver Sanor Engseng, 44, accused the Singapore-based firm of exploiting workers by making them work 12-hour shifts and cutting their wages recently and not providing insurance.

He said drivers are losing money and feel unsafe by having to drive long distances after dark to areas in Nongprue subdistrict. Such a delivery used to pay 55 baht, but Grab recently cut the fee to 30 baht.

He said drivers want to meet with Grab’s Thai management before going back to work.

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2019-11-24--

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Grab is a taxi company, getting into food delivery doesn't seem a great fit. It never bothered me until I was asked to carry a large pizza when being taken home recently, and not being allowed a slice. 

The opposite happened to me!... When my Grab pizza arrived there was one piece missing!... 

52 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

The opposite happened to me!... When my Grab pizza arrived there was one piece missing!... 

I made a small comment about this in my post (#6). I read a story recently, can't remember what news feed, but I think USA, where UBER drivers are dipping into the customer's food along the way.

Perhaps "helping themselves" is how they avenge their low rate of pay.

Expect many more bad press stories from Uber and Grab services until the authorities realize that they have opened a monumentally bad can of worms. Uber has already lost London cab licence. 

They will exploit their workers to maximize profits. Then massively increase their fees without compensating  their workers creating a monopolistic environment to benefit their investors. 

Thai workers and the general public will lose and bemoan they day they whinged about taxi drivers and the like. 

Rooster