Who want to work in the 3 world country

13 hours ago, Pravda said:

Yes, I don't know what this guy is talking about. Being a teacher is one of the cushiest government jobs in the west. Unions, guaranteed raise every year, nice pension and huge vacation times.

A lot of teachers in Thailand are TEFL teachers, and this type of teaching is very poorly paid in most European countries and certainly in the UK where it is mostly seasonal work.  TEFL teachers in the west rarely get the benefits or salaries that school teachers get.  

AS a TEFL teacher myself I can earn much more here in Bangkok than I could in the UK, or in a "3rd world" country.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Trolleen said:

Have people from Europe work as 200.000 baht per months. They never gets problems with immigration because the company take care. It is not many but very few. The most Europeans gets problems in Thai costume because immigration thinks they work in Thailand . What people who have no big experiences can get in Thailand  200.000 baht per month.some can get  50.000 per months? Who want to work for it?'why stop the tourist of false accusations of working here?

48 hours per week. NoI vacation. No pension

"Maybe some European over 65 years want to do it for fun."

How many foreigners over 65 works here? Then you have to be self employed, because companies don't normally hires people over 55. 

22 hours ago, CharlieH said:

May be those that have a family or other relationships in Thailand. Its not always about the money.

Sure,

And many people are not just about ' cash ' they like work/home life balance.

I know many that don't care about money, but as such that they have enough to live off, but are happy to work for much less to be in an environment that they feel contented.

The world has literally thousands and thousands who quit the ' rat race ' of big salaries and high powered jobs to just be happy.

The OP seems to have a narrow view on life.

3 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Sure,

And many people are not just about ' cash ' they like work/home life balance.

I know many that don't care about money, but as such that they have enough to live off, but are happy to work for much less to be in an environment that they feel contented.

The world has literally thousands and thousands who quit the ' rat race 'v of big salaries and high powered jobs to just be happy.

I'm happier when not have to work. ????

22 hours ago, Liverpudlian said:
22 hours ago, secondfusilier said:

Where are you referring to because Thailand is not a third world country ?

How would you rank it ?

Thailand is ranked as  a MSCI emerging market country, as is China.

Once upon a time USA was considered a first world country and Russia was a 2nd world country. Times have sadly changed since the term 1st world was first coined. 

18 minutes ago, Onrai said:

Thailand is ranked as  a MSCI emerging market country, as is China.

Once upon a time USA was considered a first world country and Russia was a 2nd world country. Times have sadly changed since the term 1st world was first coined. 

It's still a third world country in many aspects. 

22 hours ago, Trolleen said:

Cost of living here as same as Europe this days except for house costs.

That is the crux of the issue-housing costs. Google engineers in Silicon Valley, CA. starting salary of 90,000-100,000/year sounds great until you can barely afford rent much less buy something on that salary. Lot’s of recent articles in the news about starting engineers living in mobile homes in the google park lot to save up enough to rent a place. An equally valid question is who wants to make 90,000-100,000/ a year and has to live in a trailer to survive? 

But who want to work in third world country for 40.000-50.000baht per months.

Working week 48 hours 

No pension .

Perhaps you should compare with buying force here, and in your home country after tax – which of course might be different, depending of where your home country is – and living costs and life-style in general here, and there.

A very good way to compare salary, i.e. the money in your hand after tax, is eggs – because eggs are locally produced everywhere – so how many similar sized eggs can you buy for your salary here, and there?

Work week for employed foreigners is normally 5 days of each 8 hours, so 40 hours a week.

You can get some pension, if your employer pays SS (Social Security), however small, but SS also includes a number of other benefits like health care at government hospitals– which can be fine in some areas, and not so good in others – and unemployment fee for 6 month. If you retire in Thailand, after your work life, you can continue your SS for a tiny voluntary fee and keep your health insurance.

Additional pension you can buy yourself, for example mutual retirement funds in the banks, and tax-deduct from your income. The funds might work just as well, as similar funds in one's home-country.

40,000 to 50,000 baht is in the low end for foreigners – often what school teachers are paid, or what a foregner need to pay himself, or herself, in salary when being employed in one's own company. Many skilled foreigners earn a lot more, just like skilled Thais, 200,000+ baht a month is indeed possible.

There might be a number of reasons – including family – for choosing to live, and work, in Thailand, instead of staying home. Again it's depending of from where you originate, but for me weather would be a major point among several others.

I have country fellowmen that for example (legally) work with tele-marketing or support, talking their native language to home-country clients eight hours a day – they might even get a salary bonus – and enjoy the tropical climate and relaxed beach boy life-style the other 16 hours, and during week-ends. 50,000 baht – or more – with a very small income tax deduction of a few thousand baht, can actually buy you a fairly cool life-style that pals staying home will envy you...????

That no true . No good teacher with that experience makes 60.000 baht per months unless they come maybe for itali. Cost of living here as same as Europe this days except for house costs.

It your dream that good teacher work here 

A teacher at an international school can make way more than 100K

3 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

quite obvious, you don't have a clue about what is really happening here.

It's you who has their head in the sand, as always.

Come back to me in 5 years when the country is on it's knees!

If you think the next 20 years + of Junta is the key to success then you are deluded

23 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I taught because it was the easiest way to earn 15,000 pounds tax free income (plus a years NI contributions) for working 90 days per year in the UK. Didn't even need to teach, all that was required was to keep the kids in the classroom and sitting quietly for 5x 1hr per day, without them damaging each other or the classroom. Harder to do than you would think as it was in council estate schools so bad, they couldn't keep regular staff.

Yeah well, that is clearly not a career and didn't make you end up with a lavish pension here either. So I guess I stick to my point.
You do not become a teacher to get rich or make a career, best case, it is a better deal than other jobs as you described here.

48 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

It's you who has their head in the sand, as always.

Come back to me in 5 years when the country is on it's knees!

If you think the next 20 years + of Junta is the key to success then you are deluded

I know and actually work on plans for the next 3 to 4 years. What do you do, sitting in a bar somewhere or drink at home in a village in the middle of nowhere?

18 hours ago, Ventenio said:

most do it to get a work permit and a longer stay in LOS.  

but, yes, if young then they are pretty stupid.  they could make much more back home and setup their future much better.  however, they want to avoid real responsibility until they must.  yea, most are horrible teachers but they are better than non-native speakers.

then you get the older guys who have cash back home and just want to wait until spending their money from back home.  

i'm sure a lot less would work if the visa situation was different.  

A lot more would work if the visa/work permit system was different

23 hours ago, Trolleen said:

That no true . No good teacher with that experience makes 60.000 baht per months unless they come maybe for itali. Cost of living here as same as Europe this days except for house costs.

"Cost of living here as same as Europe" ... I am going to guess you do not actually live in Thailand.  That statement is ABSURD!

(1) For people under the retirement age ... a work permit (or marriage) is really the only viable option for a long term stay

(2) It is quite easy to live a (modest ... but) comfortable life in Thailand for those sums of money.

(3) Any question?

On 11/25/2019 at 2:09 PM, secondfusilier said:

Where are you referring to because Thailand is not a third world country ?

If Thailand is not a third world country, no one who has lived here for any length of time can

say it is not a backward country. Lawlessness, traffic road fatalities, shutting down peoples employment

because of religion, should I go on?

On 11/25/2019 at 2:34 PM, Trolleen said:

You are not an English teacher here by any chance, are you??

On 11/25/2019 at 2:53 PM, secondfusilier said:

Developing nation.

Third world refers to a country that was not aligned to either NATO or the Communist Bloc.

"Developing nation."?? Well they sure have an awful lot of developing to do.

17 hours ago, JaiLai said:

Where do i say i do not enjoy Thailand?

It's only the majority of the people that annoy me...

You must be easily annoyed, take away their dreadful road behaviour, and the vast majority of

Thai people are decent, honest and very non confrontational.

On 11/25/2019 at 8:13 AM, Liverpudlian said:

How would you rank it ? 

Is it not a third world country, have a look and you see the thai are very unhappy with the world ranking they have. As well they do have a lot of money too. When you look around you see thailand proces are nearly the same as in the west.

And 40000 thb is about 1250 euro which in in many countries an income people earn too when deduct the western taxes.

On 11/26/2019 at 3:53 PM, secondfusilier said:

If Thailand is not a third world country, no one who has lived here for any length of time can

say it is not a backward country. Lawlessness, traffic road fatalities, shutting down peoples employment

because of religion, should I go on?

Sadly the USA is on its way to being a 3rd world country. Thousands of homeless sleeping and defecating in the street. Draconian traffic laws-fines for using headphones while driving, car seats that have to meet ridiculous safety standards. Cops on every street corner for minor traffic offenses. God help you if you jay walk. People being thrown out of restaurants because they are gay or lesbian. Religious zealots using “ We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone” to discriminate indiscriminately. Ethic minority being marginalized and isolated into cantons. Racial and religious equality being trampled on daily. Corruption at the highest level of government where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. America, the land of the free, with 5 % of the world’s population and 25% of the world’s prison population. Cops shooting fleeing suspects in the back and calling it self defense.  Gunmen daily going berserk and gunning down innocent people in the streets, movie theaters, music events, our schools. 

Teachers wearing guns in the class room and metal detectors in the corridors for protection. The director of the NRA whose solution to mass shootings is to arm citizen. Need I go on? 

If Thailand is backwards thank god it hasn’t attained the level of corruption, chaos and crime the permeates the USA.

On 11/25/2019 at 2:53 PM, secondfusilier said:

Developing nation.

Third world refers to a country that was not aligned to either NATO or the Communist Bloc.

Why not just say POOR countries , I'm pretty sure that's what the op means .

Archived