Thai economy: Thais staying home and not going out to eat

webfact

4 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

I can't believe the part about Thai people turning off lights.

To save money is nice but saving the planet is out of my scope and most certainly out of the scope of the majority of Thais.  I'm a fully-fledged climate change denier and I don't care.  I'm all for recycling and doing our bit but will never get excited about turning a light switch off.  

6 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is the smartest cost saving tip of all. If you can avoid the medical costs associated with chronic disease, you'll save an absolute fortune.

eating healthy in Thailand is 7x the price, gyms with machines that work are Western prices

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I've been out to eat once this month (bill was 159bht including a large Leo).

My Thai gf hasn't been out with me for ages, she can't afford to eat out.

When she asks for more money I tell her to find a wealthier lover, but I'm afraid the market for live-in gfs has almost completely dried up (Thai and foreigner employers) in Chiang Mai.

i would guess that your pay them to leave policy changed to pay one to stay was also a

money saving decision ?    what is your plan if she does find a wealthier lover ?  

4 hours ago, GarryP said:

Asked motorcycle taxi guys how things are in the soi I live in and they all said pretty much the same thing. The street traders and food shops/restaurants are all complaining that business is way down.

Had a large roller blind installed 2 weeks ago and asked the guy installing it how business was. He said it was his first order of the month. He claimed that usually November and December are the busiest months for his business, but so far it had been terrible. His business was really suffering. 

All rather anecdotal but seem to support others interpretation of the state of things.

Is "business" really down or just the number of "eat in" customers?

Many restaurants are booming now, selling take away food. I sometimes see 20 - 30 motorcycles parked outside a certain restaurant on Ekamai.

There is another restaurant where we have ordered food for delivery at 6 pm only to be told 5 or 6 times now that they were sold out.

10 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

Is that healthier or less healthier than occidental diets?  All those ingredients are readily available in the west.  

Of course you can eat unhealthy in Farangland - but you will know it: fries, hamburgers,....

In Thailand many foods look healthy, but contain large amounts of msg, salt (f ex fish sauce) and sugar (diabetes is common). Nobody checks frying oil.

And the government does not check chemicals in agriculture.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nickstav said:

Wish my gf would learn to turn off the lights.

Had that dispute last year, after a bit of screaming and shouting, she said she'd pay the electricity bill in future.

The bill has shrunk from 1,500bht a month to just over 1,000bht/month.

(I did pay to change all the lights to LED lighting, and bought a 1 unit a day solar panel with grid tie inverter)

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, marqus12 said:

plaza accord 

That was an induced depreciation, not a devaluation (WIKI too confuses the 2).

A devaluation is a unilateral government decision, in a system of fixed exchange rates

A depreciation is the result of market forces. These market forces can be autonomous, or stimulated by governments in a joint effort: usually by a coordinated selling of foreign reserves by several participating governments.

Edited by oldhippy
add

48 minutes ago, mickey rat said:

I think that's a slight exaggeration but must certainly eating healthy costs more than eating street food or 7-11 crapfood. 

I have never understood why 7/11 is so successful. All I can find in there is mostly junk food. Popular with Thais, perhaps this explains why there are so many obese Thais now? I recall when you almost never saw a fat Thai girl.... now look... no, dont look!

I guess we Farang are also to blame as we introduced our burgers and fast food etc.

Edited by DaRoadrunner
  • Like 2