marriage extension phuket

steve2112

what's needed in phuket imm for marriage extension? i know marriage license and letter from bank about 400k, what else? medical, police report? 

also,my wife's working and hard for her to get time off so don't want to drag her there several times. is there a way to make an appointment or just have to show up and wait?

thanks

Been a few years since I applied for an extension based on marriage ...

You need 2 copies of all papers.

Your passport.

Proof your TM30 up to date. 

Wife ID.

Wife Tabian Baan.

Marriage certificate.

Letter from bank and certified copies of your bank book (must be in your name only. Cannot be joint account). 400 k seeded for 2 months first application.

Photo of the happy couple outside place of residence with house number in the shot. 

Hand drawn location map your area of residence.

Not need medical or police report. If you have a WP then that's a whole world of company paperwork. 

I think that's a complete list, but might have changed in recent years.

Although married for 10 years, it was only in April of this year that I changed from a Retirement to a Marriage Extension.

Here is a list of document requirements from the Phuket Immigration Volunteers website:

http://piv-phuket.com/long-stay-extensions/marriage-m/

Yes, your wife is required to attend with you, and what the list does not mention is that you also need to have a witness present (who should have their ID Card/Blue book with them).

You should not be in there for too long, from recollection we were seen straight away.   It would also be advisable to visit Immigration before you apply for your extension, just to double check with a volunteer that the requirements haven't changed.

Other points, I was free to use the 400,000 in the bank after applying, not keeping the balance until the end of the under consideration period.   Also no house visit was made by Immigration Officers, though that might not always be the case.

2 hours ago, pagallim said:

Although married for 10 years, it was only in April of this year that I changed from a Retirement to a Marriage Extension.

Here is a list of document requirements from the Phuket Immigration Volunteers website:

Yes, your wife is required to attend with you, and what the list does not mention is that you also need to have a witness present (who should have their ID Card/Blue book with them).

You should not be in there for too long, from recollection we were seen straight away.   It would also be advisable to visit Immigration before you apply for your extension, just to double check with a volunteer that the requirements haven't changed.

Other points, I was free to use the 400,000 in the bank after applying, not keeping the balance until the end of the under consideration period.   Also no house visit was made by Immigration Officers, though that might not always be the case.

As a dreaded O-A, I face the prospect of having to pay for an expensive insurance policy that wouldn't pay out for most of my ailments.

I have thought of transferring to a marriage extension to avoid this waste, but have heard Immigration doesn't like to process this change.

Did you have any problems doing so? Did they ask why you moved from retirement?

(Of course I would have to marry the old girl first!) 

2 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

As a dreaded O-A, I face the prospect of having to pay for an expensive insurance policy that wouldn't pay out for most of my ailments.

I have thought of transferring to a marriage extension to avoid this waste, but have heard Immigration doesn't like to process this change.

Over the years I changed extension type quite a number of times. Started as married with the 200K in bank. When I was over 50 the IO noticed I had the then 400K to meet retirement type. As that meant a lot less paperwork and only one copy he pushed me to go that way. A number of years later an IO noticed I had a WP so could not have retired (had the retired extended a few times and no one noticed I had a WP. So back to married Thai with WP. Recently I did not renew the WP. Labour office not happy with over 65 old applicants. So back to retired but given the 800k tied up much of the year I am considering the married with 400k and seems can use this through the year. 

51 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

In my case it was a change of extension type for an O visa, not an O-A.   No questions were asked (though I had enough in my account to have continued with a Retirement extension, I just did not want to be in a position of being forced to move money to maintain the 800K/400K minimum or the 65K/month route.   Like many I guess, I move my annual budget at a time when the exchange rate is as reasonable as it can be nowadays).

As I understand it, changing from an O-A to an O would mean your leaving the country and applying for an O visa at a neighbouring Embassy/Consul, or alternatively re-entering by visa exempt and applying for an O visa here.

The OP was Phuket specific, but for more general information on visa/extension change, probably best to look here:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/forum/1-thai-visas-residency-and-work-permits/

18 hours ago, pagallim said:

In my case it was a change of extension type for an O visa, not an O-A.   No questions were asked (though I had enough in my account to have continued with a Retirement extension, I just did not want to be in a position of being forced to move money to maintain the 800K/400K minimum or the 65K/month route.   Like many I guess, I move my annual budget at a time when the exchange rate is as reasonable as it can be nowadays).

As I understand it, changing from an O-A to an O would mean your leaving the country and applying for an O visa at a neighbouring Embassy/Consul, or alternatively re-entering by visa exempt and applying for an O visa here.

The OP was Phuket specific, but for more general information on visa/extension change, probably best to look here:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/forum/1-thai-visas-residency-and-work-permits/

Thanks for the reply.

As we know Immigration procedures and outcomes can vary from region to region which is why I sought your knowledge of our local Phuket office. 

I accept that someone on an O visa originally can amend their status, but am still unclear if the A-O could also be changed on shore. Opinions vary.

I would like to avoid the uncertainty of letting my current extension expire and travel offshore to obtain a new visa to begin the process all over again.

19 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Over the years I changed extension type quite a number of times. Started as married with the 200K in bank. When I was over 50 the IO noticed I had the then 400K to meet retirement type. As that meant a lot less paperwork and only one copy he pushed me to go that way. A number of years later an IO noticed I had a WP so could not have retired (had the retired extended a few times and no one noticed I had a WP. So back to married Thai with WP. Recently I did not renew the WP. Labour office not happy with over 65 old applicants. So back to retired but given the 800k tied up much of the year I am considering the married with 400k and seems can use this through the year. 

Thanks for your input.

I presume you were originally on an "O" not an "O-A".

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Thanks for your input.

I presume you were originally on an "O" not an "O-A".

Just checked my first ever visa to Thailand issued by Brisbane Consulate. Was an O based on owning a home with 30 year lease. Be honest I had thought is was an O-A. I had to leave Thailand every 90 days.  

Edit - but after I married my Thai lady I was able to apply for a one year extension.

so i went yesterday and a bit of an ordeal but got it done. first they didn't accept the statement from bangkok bank because it wasn't in the exact format they liked, so we talked to the bank and they made a stamped copy of my fixed account savings book and that seemed to work.

then i went back and saw a different office are they said i need a khor ror 2 from the amper and a witness! 

we went to amper and got khor ror 2 in 10 mins but could not rustle up a witness 

so went back and then a 3rd officer (the lady) said no witness needed.

so it totally depends who you get as to what you need.

at the end of the process you end up the the good guy that sits on dest 1, he's known us for years so just signed everything off without a hitch.

On 11/27/2019 at 11:26 AM, pagallim said:

The witness is not really required anymore in Phuket and it is not asked for in the last few years.

Therefore it is not mentioned on the website.

The house visit is only done (if done at all) for the first time extension.

3 hours ago, merijn said:

The witness is not really required anymore in Phuket and it is not asked for in the last few years.

Therefore it is not mentioned on the website.

The house visit is only done (if done at all) for the first time extension.

I can only pass on my own experience in Phuket, in April of this year.

Archived