Honda PCX Hybrid

Pinot

I'll be picking up a new Honda PCX Hybrid at the end of the month (99900b) but have never driven one. Can new owners give me their driving impressions? I expect the bike to have more power off the line where the electric motor kicks in. 

Thanks

• Like 1

Any other PCX owner have the problem I do. I have 2 PCX bikes about 7 years old. Still very good both of them. The bike I use has a front shock absorber problem, go over say a small pothole, or rough part of the road and its a clunk noise and feels like you are riding on a flat tyre. Took it to a good Honda service place who topped up the oil in the cylinders and replaced with harder springs. Now its worse. Another Honda workshop said its normal for PCX? but other bike is perfect and so was this one for 3 years. They also said you cannot get replacement shockies from Bangkok, I cant believe that story. Open to advice guys other than one smart Somchai at the first workshop who said time to buy a new bike.

21 hours ago, Pinot said:

I'll be picking up a new Honda PCX Hybrid at the end of the month (99900b) but have never driven one. Can new owners give me their driving impressions? I expect the bike to have more power off the line where the electric motor kicks in. 

Thanks

How much more expensive is it on the standard version ? I seem to recall they were about 80K Baht plus last time I looked. 

What is your reasoning to get hybrid ? Better fuel economy ? One would think you would need to hang onto it for a very long time to reliase any monetary benefits ? ????

• Like 1

92000 for the PCX (I can't remember this might be 90k)

99900 for the PCX Hybrid 

It comes in deep blue only. Any color you want as long as it's dark blue. I think the regular PCX is limited to dark blue and black. 

12 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Stand facing the rear of the bike, front tire between your knees.

Stand facing the rear of the bike, front tire between your knees.... then kiss your ass goodbye.

Actually what you do is assume the above position, grab the base of the front forks, one with each hand, then pull / push back and forth to see if there is too much play in the fork bearings. These are adjustable.

• Thanks 1

I'm thinking that the "hybrid" is simply a marketing exercise using the starter/generator system already in place. I suspect the "hydrid" battery to be quite small and ineffective in any real terms. Maybe useful in creeping traffic jams. 

Hope to be proved wrong as the appeal of any hybrid for me would be brief noticeable extra performance when needed.  

Edited by VocalNeal

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'd like to see hybrid bigger bike (real bike not a scooter)... for me the issue with riding in traffic is the engine heat. 

I always end up turning the engine off at lights etc, but 'creeping traffic' can get a bit 'crotch hot' - this is where an hybrid would be ideal and then once moving again at normal speeds the engine can kick in and range is provided by the combustion engine.

I hear you. That is why riding a sports bike in Bangkok, even to get out of the city is a pain. I added two fans and still..... 

• Like 2

On 12/2/2019 at 6:16 PM, Pinot said:

I'm looking forward to seeing how the electric/gas work together. I know the hybrid is faster off the line, we'll see if that is worth 9000 baht

On 12/5/2019 at 3:46 PM, Pinot said:

I understand there is a 10% increase in HP and torque but I think the important part is where that increased torque hits.

I'm thinking that for 9000 baht you could get more than 10% by "conventional" means. But each to his own.

On 12/5/2019 at 3:46 PM, Pinot said:

I'm guessing here but I think it will make a significant difference in acceleation of the line where the electric motor takes over almost completely.

The electric motor never takes over completely. The engine is running all the time when driving (driving with the electric motor alone is not possible).

The electric motor assists a little bit when accelerating, but this is limited to something like 5 seconds at a time.

So how often do you accelerate giving full throttle? If the answer is "often", then you might enjoy the hybrid (or maybe not, it's a small boost, so maybe you think it's not worth it). If the answer is "nearly never", then you might complain about having wasted the money.

Here is a comparison (at 13:14):

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

On 12/7/2019 at 9:25 AM, jackdd said:

The electric motor never takes over completely. The engine is running all the time when driving (driving with the electric motor alone is not possible).

The electric motor assists a little bit when accelerating, but this is limited to something like 5 seconds at a time.

So how often do you accelerate giving full throttle? If the answer is "often", then you might enjoy the hybrid (or maybe not, it's a small boost, so maybe you think it's not worth it). If the answer is "nearly never", then you might complain about having wasted the money.

This comparison is ridiculous... first of all the other PCX is the old model, which is slower than the all new PCX anyway. On top of that is it packed with numerous accessories and even the rider has some more "grip" around the belly it seems to me.... :D

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Doctor1 said:

This comparison is ridiculous... first of all the other PCX is the old model, which is slower than the all new PCX anyway. On top of that is it packed with numerous accessories and even the rider has some more "grip" around the belly it seems to me.... ????

How do you rate the PCX vs your Forza?

On 12/7/2019 at 9:25 AM, jackdd said:

Yeah, what he said. How much is the Porsche 911 Turbo vs the just the plain ole 911? Worth another 30K USD? Of course not. The Hybrid is 7000 baht more than the regular PCX and there is a bump in fuel economy. (I always add that)

I'm trying to rationalize the selling of a one year old Aerox to buy the Hybrid to my wife. It's not working.

My money. It's cool.  ; )

Edited by Pinot

4 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Almost exactly equals the extra 133 pounds ????????

Big and useless for city and shopping! Pcx is small and smooth,

but everyone have to make their own decission what the need, and for what purpose.

However, when meeting a forza driver with my Pcx is totalt different than when meeting them with my 1000 ????

They useally have a tendency to look down on small scooters, 

11 hours ago, Pinot said:

Yeah, what he said. How much is the Porsche 911 Turbo vs the just the plain ole 911? Worth another 30K USD? Of course not. The Hybrid is 7000 baht more than the regular PCX and there is a bump in fuel economy. (I always add that)

I'm trying to rationalize the selling of a one year old Aerox to buy the Hybrid to my wife. It's not working.

My money. It's cool.  ; )

92k or 99k..does it really matter. Jeez.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Tagged said:

Big and useless for city and shopping! Pcx is small and smooth,

but everyone have to make their own decission what the need, and for what purpose.

However, when meeting a forza driver with my Pcx is totalt different than when meeting them with my 1000 ????

They useally have a tendency to look down on small scooters, 

And Forza’s have the tendency to give PCX Drivers the small scoot syndrome; Making up reasons for their insufficient wallet to get the big boy scoot ???? But true... if u only tingle around to get some “lao khao” at 7 11. Wave or PCX totally fine... ride on. Luggage space, power, comfort for two, touring ability... 

Edited by Doctor1

11 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Almost exactly equals the extra 133 pounds ????????

ai do like the pcx... rode it for years 2016 and 2017 models. But in terms of power and comfort/ability to drive longer. its a different animal. Definitely dont wanna switch back to pcx for now