Ages to download anything on win 10,solution?

ivor bigun

Torrents are files so not sure what you mean by "transfer it to a file"?  USB will be limited by computer hardware (USB now at version 3 in current computers) and by the actual USB stick.  It should show the speed of transfer if you click on additional information.  But if your computer had XP expect it is well beyond its use before date so maybe CPU and memory are not up to needs.  If you had a computer shop install that Windows 10 Pro who knows what they may have done (you may be mining for bitcoins or something worse).

My PC is over 5 years old with an i5 CPU and SSD. Latest W10 upgrade. Yesterday I downloaded via Bit-torrent 10 movies in 1080 resolution in 25 minutes with 3BB 600/400 connection without using VPN. It depends on the numbers and locations of seeds and leeches on the torrent, and where you are storing the finished movies on your PC.

4 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

....If you had a computer shop install that Windows 10 Pro who knows what they may have done (you may be mining for bitcoins or something worse).

My aged PC at work (Cambodia) died recently. Office staff helpfully arranged for a shop to fix it. The hard drive was intact just windows problem.

They triumphantly brought it back repaired.

Repairs consisted of:

-- Reformatting the hard drive wiping out all my files (I  had many backed up but not all)

- Installing Win 10 Pro.

I'm not sure which of these things was worse.....????

I was reading as computer to USB copy (which is what I would do) being slow but others believe he is downloading to USB and that is process is slow.  Could well be the downloading program and history/provider if his higher speed was based on a history of seeding (and that info lost with upgrade).

45 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

And the internet speed as such satisfies your expectations?

https://www.speedtest.net/

What ISP do you have (3BB, ToT, AIS, ...)?

As far as I know, torrents are a popular target for throttling by the ISP?

If it is throttling, a VPN would be the easy route to bypass.

I am using 3bb i did have it instaled by a computer shop ,who i have used many times ,they did a great job saved everything i had on xp ,i use a vpn ,and no problem downloading fro torrents ,its just once its on the computer it takes ages to transfer the movie etc to a usb . all my usbs .

11 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

I am using 3bb i did have it instaled by a computer shop ,who i have used many times ,they did a great job saved everything i had on xp ,i use a vpn ,and no problem downloading fro torrents ,its just once its on the computer it takes ages to transfer the movie etc to a usb . all my usbs .

Have you checked the transfer speed?  I left click on file to transfer and drag to USB to start copy in the task bar file folder.  On the copy screen will be the percentage but if you click additional details it will provide the estimated time and real time speed.  My speed on old USB2 with cheap sticks runs between 2-6MB/s or about 10MB/s on a better stick (same brand but some are better than others).   At the 2-6 MB/s rate estimated time for 1GB file about 3 minutes.

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

My PC is over 5 years old with an i5 CPU and SSD. Latest W10 upgrade. Yesterday I downloaded via Bit-torrent 10 movies in 1080 resolution in 25 minutes with 3BB 600/400 connection without using VPN. It depends on the numbers and locations of seeds and leeches on the torrent, and where you are storing the finished movies on your PC.

Sorry Ivor, I did not read your post properly. The movies are downloading to your disk drive OK, yeh, but it is when you copy those to a USB stick the problem starts. Try a new USB stick.

10 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Sorry Ivor, I did not read your post properly. The movies are downloading to your disk drive OK, yeh, but it is when you copy those to a USB stick the problem starts. Try a new USB stick.

tried loads ,no differance????

The downloaded files are on your computer system hdd?  You are using the method I mentioned to copy (click/drag/drop)?  Can you provide indication of speed you are getting for that transfer?

Just wondering how slow it is as file transfers do take some time, especially on older USB2 computers.  Does you computer hdd seem to be busy all the time by chance (even when not doing anything)?

Well , would need to know about your system. What kind of internet connection you have, download speed, how much memory you have, and what your processor is. The internet speed is the driving factor here, but if you have issues with your system, then things like other processes running at the same time could cause slowing. 

2 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

Well , would need to know about your system. What kind of internet connection you have, download speed, how much memory you have, and what your processor is. The internet speed is the driving factor here, but if you have issues with your system, then things like other processes running at the same time could cause slowing. 

And you also have to consider the system hosting the data. Maybe it's a POS, yet the OP is has the "Ferrari" of systems.

2 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

it takes ages to transfer the movie etc to a usb

You may have an expansion slot on your laptop that would allow you to upgrade to USB 3. That would then allow you to use an external drive running faster. Might work for you:

https://www.deskdecode.com/upgrade-laptop-usb-2-0-to-usb-3-0/

Follow post #15.

Numbers are needed.

Clean up and format stick before copying.

I do not believe in any slow computer/hard-disk/internet in this case.

PC hardware not properly working (with W10)?

Stick defect?

Some 3rd "protection" SW added that does more harm than good?

Thai computer shops often overload with SW stuff that interferes badly.

19 hours ago, WalkingOrders said:

As I read it the internet speed is not the issue at all. The OP is stating that the issue is transferring (torrent already downloaded) from his HDD/SSD to an external source (thumb drive, external drive).

OP, are your destination drives USB3 (can usually tell if they have blue plastic inners at the connection)? And more importantly, are you plugging them into corresponding USB3 ports on your source machine? If not, you will still get transfer if plugging a USB3 into a USB2 (or even USB1.1) but the speed will be dictated by the source port.

OP, USB 3 to USB 3 should be no problem with transfer speeds. If you have a problem here (as you seem to be) check your drivers on your computer are up to date, especially chipset drivers. Try a different USB port if you haven't already.

3 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

As I read it the internet speed is not the issue at all. The OP is stating that the issue is transferring (torrent already downloaded) from his HDD/SSD to an external source (thumb drive, external drive).

OP, are your destination drives USB3 (can usually tell if they have blue plastic inners at the connection)? And more importantly, are you plugging them into corresponding USB3 ports on your source machine? If not, you will still get transfer if plugging a USB3 into a USB2 (or even USB1.1) but the speed will be dictated by the source port.

OP, USB 3 to USB 3 should be no problem with transfer speeds. If you have a problem here (as you seem to be) check your drivers on your computer are up to date, especially chipset drivers. Try a different USB port if you haven't already.

Up until a short while ago i did not have a problem ,its just recently also once i have downloaded something ,i put them all in one file ,that is taking ages as well 

49 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

Up until a short while ago i did not have a problem ,its just recently also once i have downloaded something ,i put them all in one file ,that is taking ages as well 

I'm assuming that as you have recently changed from XP to W10 that your computer is quite old? Also assuming that you have just seen the slow file transfer issue while using W10?

If the above are true then without taking you down the road of changing settings, (filepage/swapfile changes, disabling indexing, changing formats from FAT32 to NTFS, etc) none of which are guaranteed to change transfer speeds and may affect normal running of your OS, I would suggest that you try a 3rd party file transfer program, at least to see if it makes a difference. Below is a link for such (free) programs with links to their homepages. Worth at least giving it a look and comparing transfer speeds................:thumbsup:

Probably not what you want to hear, but options none the less.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/free-fast-file-copy-software-for-windows-10-pc  

Archived