How loud is too loud?

Ventenio

3 hours ago, fittobethaied said:

Just one more reason why Thais generally reject Christianity. They do not want to be beholden to a God that demands any sort of accountability. Biblical principles like "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" or "put the interests of others before your own" or "love your neighbor as you would love yourself" are foreign concepts that clash with the Thai behavioral attributes of selfishness and everyone for themselves. 

Rather the opposite regarding responsibility in my opinion. I told Buddhist wife about how Jesus can save you and wipe away all of your sins. She said "Impossible. It's your karma and you have to deal with it." Christianity is a like a "get out of jail free" card if you accept JC as your "personal savior". Do unto others was around far earlier than Christianity, FWIW. Love your neighbor as yourself is also an absurdly high bar, besides if I love loud bass heavy music, I would love to share it with my neighbor with this commandment (command love? as if), right? And that's what they do.

One reason that I look forward to holidaying in the condo I own in Jomtien is that it’s so much quieter than where I live in Australia, where there’s continuous noise all day from a wide assortment of various machinery such as leaf blowers, chain saws, angle grinders, lawn mowers, hedge trimmers, a garbage truck that drives up and down the street 10 times a day on three days of the week, and those infernal reversing beeps that never seem to stop.

It’s delightful to wander down the path to the beach from my Jomtien condo and see the gardeners using rakes and brooms to tidy up fallen leaves, instead of the inevitable leaf blowers that would be used in Australia.

Of course it does help that much lower property prices in Thailand means that I can afford a condo in a high rise instead of my crappy first floor Australian flat, but I’ve also stayed in a variety of hotels and apartments in Bangkok, and all have been quieter than my place in Australia. 

On 11/30/2019 at 6:01 PM, ratcatcher said:

How loud is too loud?

When the vibrations cause you to have multiple bowel movements.

When items in your house on shelves start falling to the floor.

When you actually feel like committing murder.

When you start thinking of moving to another country.

For starters.

WHAT? I can't hear ya!

On 11/30/2019 at 6:12 PM, Beggar said:

High rise condos and here the higher floors are not always a good idea since you then hear the noise even from places that are further away. 

Or, one day, with no forewarning, your neighbors embark upon a four month-long renovation of their unit - effectively turning your domicile into a construction zone. You have no legal recourse whatsoever, i.e., can't seek damages, compensation for hotel (or Air B&B) expenses, etc.

Moral of the story: No matter where you choose to live, you're a persona non grata.

On 11/30/2019 at 6:55 PM, CNXexpat said:

Then you have a very special neighbor. I saw people set fires beside an open air restaurant or when people are drying their clothes outside. Nobody complains. I always wonder why.

So for your theory to be true, my neighbour has to be a special case? Well, I know of another foreigner who had trouble with Thai neighbours over domestic noise.

Here's how we can test your theory. Go and rent a house in a quiet Thai neighbourhood, and start playing your sound system at high volume late at night, or even in the day, and report back. I'll put money down the complaints will come in thick and fast.

The thing is, many normal Thai people don't like excessive noise, it's just that if the source is public they cannot do anything about it, so they just deal with it, but if they know the source (a foreign neighbour, for example), they'll complain... and because you're not Thai, if you don't heed the warning, things can get nasty. Their understanding is that as a foreigner living in Thailand, you have no rights, and they can bully you whenever and however they please. Thai people might be known for their smiles, but get on the wrong side of them and see what happens. That's the time you cease being a guest and become an unwelcome intruder.

yea, it's common sense.  the police will likely never, ever help you over a resident.  that wouldn't help them, so why do it?  yea, i've seen farangs kicked out of apartments for loud noise and everyone really ganged up on him.  yes, it was loud, but it seemed like now everyone could vent their frustration in the open when before they had to deal with noise from a Thai.  It was like a public hanging and it was if they never heard loud noise before.  then, after he was kicked out, that night there was a crazy Thai party across the street and everyone suffered in silence.

yea, month-to-month, low deposit, and if you want rights then go back home.  

13 hours ago, Ventenio said:

yea, it's common sense.  the police will likely never, ever help you over a resident.  that wouldn't help them, so why do it?  yea, i've seen farangs kicked out of apartments for loud noise and everyone really ganged up on him.  yes, it was loud, but it seemed like now everyone could vent their frustration in the open when before they had to deal with noise from a Thai.  It was like a public hanging and it was if they never heard loud noise before.  then, after he was kicked out, that night there was a crazy Thai party across the street and everyone suffered in silence.

yea, month-to-month, low deposit, and if you want rights then go back home.  

You hit the nail on the head. They dislike noise, but won't confront other Thais about it, but if it's a foreigner making the noise, they can get stuck in and vent their frustrations without the slightest concern of any payback. The situation you described above was quite similar to my experience, only we made hardly any noise and it was just an excuse for the Thai neighbour to vent frustrations. In our case she got quite a shock as we (both foreigners) fought back and didn't take it lying down. After court cases etc, we learned a lesson, but so did she. 

Archived