Foreign cash carried into TL for funding 800k baht account

3 hours ago, Thaidream said:

If one arrives with a Non O- there is no  need to transfer the money from abroad or prove foreign source?   Is that correct?

If you obtain non o outside of Los then there is no need to show monies came from abroad.

3 hours ago, Maestro said:

Cash is not transferred or remitted. It is withdrawn at one bank, transported, and deposited at another bank. Transfer, remittance or transport, perhaps just semantics, but immigration is known to have refused non-O visas based on foreign cash deposits:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1136653-foreign-cash-carried-into-tl-for-funding-800k-baht-account/?do=findComment&comment=14818612

The procedure contemplated by the OP is probably not commonly used by our forum members, as so far nobody has posted a recent experience with it at the Chiang Mai immigration office.

As far as comparing the acceptance by a Thai I.O , for money brought cash  in to Thailand & declared it to a similar Thai official e.g. customs  I agree .

As we all knowthat is a hopeless matter to know what go be accepted in different offices and different I.O. persons .

However the money is accepted by customs as entered from foreign source and banks accept that this way , explain me how else money exchangers and banks can be supplied with the paper bills from any currency !

The acceptance for any rule by I.O is a gamble in Thailand , but not exclude the money becomes accepted  as foreign origin by all Thai banks .

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

Immigration won't accept it. They require it to be a foreign transfer if used for the 800k in the bank method. They are quite tough regarding that requirement.

as long the bank put it in account the money is accepted as from foreign origin with that customs document , …. how in God's name a I.O go know it is brought in cash & carry  , I.O.. has to follow the bank book and bank letter 

But as common known here in Thailand  case a I.O. he / she can be handle case different from desk to office or even day /time of year 

18 minutes ago, david555 said:

As far as comparing the acceptance by a Thai I.O , for money brought cash  in to Thailand & declared it to a similar Thai official e.g. customs  I agree .

As we all knowthat is a hopeless matter to know what go be accepted in different offices and different I.O. persons .

However the money is accepted by customs as entered from foreign source and banks accept that this way , explain me how else money exchangers and banks can be supplied with the paper bills from any currency !

The acceptance for any rule by I.O is a gamble in Thailand , but not exclude the money becomes accepted  as foreign origin by all Thai banks .

Transferring the money would have been easier to start with. The OP has clearly misunderstood the fee if he'd transferred the money. He's talking about $400-500,which is nonsense. 

• Confused 1

Hereby the case document bringing and declaring cash in to Thailand (had to turn whole my doc.in Laptop  ,but found it back...) , Thai and English txt, read  even the purpose for the money is mentioned . So if I.O reject an official document (which they normally even not get to see , AS the Thai bank accept this doc. as a foreign source money brought in .

ThaiCustomsCashReportingForm.pdf

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Transferring the money would have been easier to start with. The OP has clearly misunderstood the fee if he'd transferred the money. He's talking about $400-500,which is nonsense. 

His freedom ...

6 minutes ago, david555 said:

as long the bank put it in account the money is accepted as from foreign origin with that customs document , …. how in God's name a I.O go know it is brought in cash & carry  , I.O.. has to follow the bank book and bank letter 

But as common known here in Thailand  case a I.O. he / she can be handle case different from desk to office or even day /time of year 

This has nothing to do with how immigration officers handles a case.

They want to see a foreign/international transfer. They don't want to see documents from Thai customs and from a bank in the US. Why would anyone even think about bringing a s**tload of money in a bag instead of transferring the money like a normal person? 

• Haha 1

On 12/1/2019 at 9:38 AM, BertM said:

If the money was reported and came from your TD Ameritrade account, then I don't understand why you would want to bring $27,000 in cash when you can simply make an international wire xfer for less that $50 USD after your Thai bank account/s are open. I don't pay any wire xfer fees with Chase bank. I send USD to my Citibank Thailand USD account and then convert to THB at my convenience. So, I don't understand your reasoning, but you must have one for risking bringing that much cash when it's not necessary.

It is not just the 50 dollar fee it is also the exchange rate. Do the math and OP is correct he would lose almost 500 USA dollars on the fee and poor exchange rate. Guys do this every day from USA to Thailand and other places and fill out the forms and no problems. Glad someone answered the non O issue as I may do a non O in the future also. Money launderers don’t laundry 25 to 50 k as that is not  a significant amount of  money for someone doing illegal activities.  

Edited by Wake Up

3 hours ago, Wake Up said:

It is not just the 50 dollar fee it is also the exchange rate. Do the math and OP is correct he would lose almost 500 USA dollars on the fee and poor exchange rate. Guys do this every day from USA to Thailand and other places and fill out the forms and no problems. Glad someone answered the non O issue as I may do a non O in the future also. Money launderers don’t laundry 25 to 50 k as that is not  a significant amount of  money for someone doing illegal activities.  

You seem to be confusing the xchange rates for banks to change loose currency vs the TT rate which is the rate used when converting a SWIFT transfer. FOr example, yesterday Superrich was offering 30.20 and Kasikorn's TT rate was 30.13...a difference of .07. On 800,000 baht that amounts to a difference of $61.60 + the $50 bank fee but a total fee of $111.60 over carry and xchange

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Maestro said:

The OP's only problem is his uncertainty whether the Chiang Mai immigration office would give him a non-O visa for the purpose of a subsequent application for an extension for the reason of retirement based on evidence of the deposit of USD cash brought in from abroad into his Thai bank account,

The OP posted a new topic yesterday (https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1136745-cmi-non-o-retirement-visa-current-requirements/) with file containing Chiang Mai immigrations requirements. He has not posted since he did the topic. I think he got his answer is the reason for not posting more.

This file CM-non-O-Retire.pdf1.54 MB · 11 downloads states this.

image.png.74447213e23e12cf64f24a53575fd725.png

Remittance means a transfer not carrying it in with him.

From a search on Google.

image.png.91747ccd647a840a6da4b918299705a2.png

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The OP posted a new topic yesterday (https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1136745-cmi-non-o-retirement-visa-current-requirements/) with file containing Chiang Mai immigrations requirements. He has not posted since he did the topic. I thin he got his answer is the reason for not posting more.

This file CM-non-O-Retire.pdf1.54 MB · 11 downloads states this.

image.png.74447213e23e12cf64f24a53575fd725.png

Remittance means a transfer not carrying it in with him.

From a search on Google.

image.png.91747ccd647a840a6da4b918299705a2.png

In October I transferred money from my bank to Bangkok Bank.  

The entry line in the bank book shows I/R next to the date and amount.  

Assuming I/R references International Remittance.  

Hopefully this (copy of bank book) along with the letter of guarantee from the bank (5.1, 5.2 & 5.3) is sufficient proof.  

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The OP posted a new topic yesterday (https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1136745-cmi-non-o-retirement-visa-current-requirements/) with file containing Chiang Mai immigrations requirements. He has not posted since he did the topic. I think he got his answer is the reason for not posting more.

@ubonjoe you are correct. I got the answer I needed on page 1 of the replies. ????

David

4 minutes ago, Nowisee said:

In October I transferred money from my bank to Bangkok Bank.  

The entry line in the bank book shows I/R next to the date and amount.  

Assuming I/R references International Remittance.  

Hopefully this (copy of bank book) along with the letter of guarantee from the bank (5.1, 5.2 & 5.3) is sufficient proof.  

Not sure what I/R means. If you have online banking I suggest you look at a statement to see what it says.

All my international transfers into Bangkok Bank show FTT in my bank book and international on the online statement. On the statements I got from the bank they show foreign T/T.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure what I/R means. If you have online banking I suggest you look at a statement to see what it says.

All my international transfers into Bangkok Bank show FTT in my bank book and international on the online statement. On the statements I got from the bank they show foreign T/T.

This is a Foreign Currency Deposit (FCD) account if that makes any difference. 
A call to the bank (call center), the person said the letter from the bank will be the evidence/guarantee that it was a International Transfer.  He also did not know what the I/R meant.

It would almost be hilarious if Chiang Mai immigration did not accept it based on the code I/R in the bank book over the letter from the bank.   

Here's a screen shot from a section of the receipt I received from Bangkok Bank.

509797231_ScreenShot2019-12-03at11_42_50AM.png.fb2d30becf8047dbb113047a5c4a3087.png

Edited by Nowisee

4 minutes ago, Nowisee said:

This is a Foreign Currency Deposit (FCD) account if that makes any difference. 

That could well be the reason for the different coding.

Not sure the letter from the bank will show it as foreign transfer unless you specifically request it.

It will need to show the amount in your account in baht based upon the exchange rate for the day the letter is written.

Since it is only one transfer the receipt you got should be enough.