CMI Non-O Retirement visa current requirements

For anyone that is interested, here is a copy of the current requirements to convert to a non-O retirement visa at the Chiang Mai immigration office. Just picked it up this morning (2 Dec 2019).

Note the following:

Requires 2 sets.

Submit at least 21 days before your tourist/transit visa or entry under visa exempt expires. (Most likely will need to do a 30-day extension unless you head pretty much straight to immigration on arrival)

Blue ink only.

Bank book updated to the present date (assume they mean the date you file the application so it looks like no day before will work)(also note that there is no mention of the 800k needing to be seasoned)

Copy of receipt for TM30 report.

Lease/rental agreement of at least 3 months duration.

Copy of oner's ID card and house book. (while not specified, I would have the owner sign all copies - in blue ink ????)

Interesting that there was no mention either in the documentation or from the person at the front desk that you need to get an appointment to file the application. I had heard that you do but it may have been at another office. 

Hope this is helpful.

David

CM-non-O-Retire.pdf

• Thanks 2

Thanks Dave for the info.  A question that I have troubles finding an answer to is on the length of stay granted after the change is made.  Currently I have an O-A which allows me to stay in the Kingdom for the entire year with only doing 90 day reporting.  If changing to the O-for retirement, can I stay in the Kingdom for the entire year or must I leave every 90 days?

Being an old buzzard, travel outside the Kingdom every 90 days is a major problem and the new insurance requirement is well .... we all know.  Thanks for the clear answer to come.  Cheers    :)

This Chiang Mai specific checklist is similar to the Division 1 (Bangkok) document posted by Ubonjoe in another thread.
The difference is Chiang Mai added #9 - Photo copy of house book and ID of owner.  

I'm interpreting that it's not an additional requirement to #8 (Rental contract), but an OR (in lieu of) not having a rental contract (#8), as in if someone is staying in wife/gf/partner/friends house/condo, etc.  

???

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nowisee said:

This Chiang Mai specific checklist is similar to the Division 1 (Bangkok) document posted by Ubonjoe in another thread.
The difference is Chiang Mai added #9 - Photo copy of house book and ID of owner.  

I'm interpreting that it's not an additional requirement to #8 (Rental contract), but an OR (in lieu of) not having a rental contract (#8), as in if someone is staying in wife/gf/partner/friends house/condo, etc.  

???

While your interpretation makes perfect sense, we are dealing with Chiang Mai immigration which lives in a world all its own. ????

David

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Genericnic said:

Lease/rental agreement of at least 3 months duration.

??  Certainly possible but many reasons why one would not have one.  One may plan on moving to another province soon, one may be in a lease but planning on looking and moving to another, one may not want to sign such a lease and just prefers month to month, etc.

8 minutes ago, Nowisee said:

???

I think it is a and/or statement.

It is normal to need a copies of the owners house book and ID card along with the rental agreement.

If you are living in house owned by your wife only her house book and ID card.

If living with somebody that has their own house a statement from them that your are living with them would be needed and copies of their house book and ID card.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

??  Certainly possible but many reasons why one would not have one.  One may plan on moving to another province soon, one may be in a lease but planning on looking and moving to another, one may not want to sign such a lease and just prefers month to month, etc.

The 3 months mentioned is to prove you are not applying for the non immigrant visa in Chiang Mai to avoid doing it at another office for where you actually live.

20 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The 3 months mentioned is to prove you are not applying for the non immigrant visa in Chiang Mai to avoid doing it at another office for where you actually live.

Why anyone would want to apply for a visa in Chiang Mai when they can do it in another province is beyond me.  Most people would welcome the opportunity to apply anywhere but Chiang Mai.

• Like 1

Just an update. Swung by the CM immigration office again today. 

If you are renting/leasing, both the copy of the lease/rental contract and the owner's ID and house book are required. The answer as to what was required if you are living with a wife/girlfriend/friend was unclear. Sorry.

You do not need an appointment to file a TM86 or TM87. As you come in the front door, the person on the left at the main counter is where you do the filing.

David

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Or is this merely changing from visa exempt

That is what he will have.

The visa can only be applied for with a visa exempt or tourist visa entry.

It is not possible to change non immigrant visa categories at immigration,

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

I thought non imm B could be to non imm O ? 

That would be changing the reason for an extension of stay. That does not change the visa category.

If married to a Thai is should be possible to change from a retirement to one based upon marriage with a OA visa entry but it can depend upon the immigration office a person has to go to.

• Thanks 1

On 12/3/2019 at 11:09 AM, ubonjoe said:

I think it is a and/or statement.

It is normal to need a copies of the owners house book and ID card along with the rental agreement.

If you are living in house owned by your wife only her house book and ID card.

If living with somebody that has their own house a statement from them that your are living with them would be needed and copies of their house book and ID card.

in both cases the tm30 that one has filed would  be needed to validate or confirm.

all should show the same address  and  "housemaster"