Long queues at Bangkok airport: Immigration says it wasn't us, points blame at AOT

webfact

Just now, scottiejohn said:

You may have 20/20 vision but all I could see is a little yellow blob.  I have looked it up and it appears to be a “winking” emoji, which conveys nothing to me!

Nod nod, wink wink.    LOL 555????

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We flew out of Swampy international arriving there about 10 pm Sat night for a 2 am Sunday departure.

The airline did a poor job of managing their checkin queue, so we and many others were kept in line there more than an hour.

But at our time, the outbound baggage/body scans and the Immigration counters had queues, but wait times of maybe 20-30 minutes each, and were well staffed in our area.

However, Immigration wasnt helping matters any by requiring 10 finger scans of all the departing foreigners, though my Thai wife said the autmated machines Thais were using instead, with no queues, were taking only 4 right hand finger scans.

The scanner folks also were requiring everyone to remove their shoes, though they didnt require my wife to remove her laptop from a briefcase nor me to remove a power bank from my carryon bag.

Have to say, though, that at Don Mueang things seem to have improved. Arrived on the same flight at the same time as 3 months ago :While back then the lines were horrendous, took over an hour to get through immigration, this time breezed through in 5 minutes. 

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

We flew out of Swampy international arriving there about 10 pm Sat night for a 2 am Sunday departure.

The airline did a poor job of managing their checkin queue, so we and many others were kept in line there more than an hour.

But at our time, the outbound baggage/body scans and the Immigration counters had queues, but wait times of maybe 20-30 minutes each, and were well staffed in our area.

However, Immigration wasnt helping matters any by requiring 10 finger scans of all the departing foreigners, though my Thai wife said the autmated machines Thais were using instead, with no queues, were taking only 4 right hand finger scans.

The scanner folks also were requiring everyone to remove their shoes, though they didnt require my wife to remove her laptop from a briefcase nor me to remove a power bank from my carryon bag.

I think it's only the first time they do all the fingers and thumbs. Subsequently it's just one scan for foreigners as well. 

10 minutes ago, toenail said:

Totally a poor design for going through departure security (upstairs) then waiting to go down the escalators (peak hours I guess) to wait 30 minutes in a packed room to go through passport patrol. This area is made for an airport 1/4  the size or volume of people. 

I look at the airports in SE & E Asia and their security & passport patrol are more spacious. 

That is a part of the problem, the airport was designed for 20 Million less passengers than the current throughput, for those that remember, the original design of the airport had the security screening at the start of each gate wing.

If they hadn't reopened DMK then this over capacity would be far far worse!

I've just been on a business trip to the Philippines and Thai airports are ultra efficient compared to there, nearly 2 hours to enter in at Clark airport and over 2 hours for check in, immigration and security screening at Manila airport T1!!

Just now, thecyclist said:

I think it's only the first time they do all the fingers and thumbs. Subsequently it's just one scan for foreigners as well. 

Could be. But I got 10 and saw lots of others in front of me the same. Though, it was my first intl flight in the past 12 months, so that would fit w what u said.

For me, they did 4 right, then 4 left, then 2 thumbs together.

31 minutes ago, toenail said:

Totally a poor design for going through departure security (upstairs) then waiting to go down the escalators (peak hours I guess) to wait 30 minutes in a packed room to go through passport patrol. This area is made for an airport 1/4  the size or volume of people. 

I look at the airports in SE & E Asia and their security & passport patrol are more spacious. 

At Swampy, the whole area being used outbound for Immigration and baggage/passenger screening kinda has the look and feel of something that was set up in somebody's garage, especially the Immigration kiosks downstairs.

Not at all befitting what's supposed to be a major international airport.

2 hours ago, Reigntax said:

Same on the 11th of last month. blocked up and queues to the base of the inclinator and more than an hour to get processed.

11 pm Sat night, we were able to get up the escalator and into the carryon luggage check queues without any blocking at the escalator, but it was a 20-30 min queue upstairs for outbound screening. And they werent using all of the available machines, only two in our section when we went thru...

53 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Avoiding both Bangkok airports on international arrivals starts your frustration free time in Thailand.   There is nothing appealing about either airport. It is all hassles.  

And in case you get stressed from it all and want to smoke......mai dai krab.

1 hour ago, Thian said:

Nobody expects that they have to take their shoes off, belt off, open laptop, no liquids and so on.....especially the ones who never flew before start arguing and refuse to bin their stuff.

Thats the issue I have when in transit from Chiang mai to International departure at Swampy. Already been scanned twice at CNX so why in the letter F in transit you need to be scanned again? I laughed last time , the alien in front of me got a bollocking as he didnt take his flip flops off for scanning; REALLY the body scanning machine must be poor quality.

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

And of course you asked a large number of these departing souls the reason for their departure to make such a statement.

Did you?

What these minions dont understand its not about blaming another department albeit AOT or IMM. In the passengers mind the blame lies with Thais who cant run a chocolate wheel let alone an airport.

13 minutes ago, legend49 said:

Thats the issue I have when in transit from Chiang mai to International departure at Swampy. Already been scanned twice at CNX so why in the letter F in transit you need to be scanned again? I laughed last time , the alien in front of me got a bollocking as he didnt take his flip flops off for scanning; REALLY the body scanning machine must be poor quality.

At Swampy i sometimes have to take my shoes off but not always...same for the belt.

Can that bodyscanner not see through it? The thing even goes off for a package of cigarettes in my pocket.

4 hours ago, Reigntax said:

Same on the 11th of last month. blocked up and queues to the base of the inclinator and more than an hour to get processed.

"inclinator"? What a lovely word! They should have more of them so that people can have a lie down while they are waiting in the queue! 

Only the incompetent at all levels, I went to Japan recently where the security system and the same, ten finger prints and scanner, took 5 minutes returned to Bangkok only after an hour I was able to go out and ten minutes more to take the taxi to wait for a stupid number that nobody needs.

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:
1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

These are not arrivals, they're leaving the country.

Emigration then?

Is there an Emigration Bureau in Thailand with RTP Emigration officers?   I'm pretty sure that the personnel who check you in and out are Immigration Officers working for the Immigration Bureau!

22 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

The taking off shoe ballet doesn't help either. It's the only airport I've been in the last three years where taking off shoes is required.

I travel  now only in my clear plastic speedo  trunks and nowt else to speed  up the process

Archived