Forum upgrade in progress! ×

75 brands to stop providing plastic bags from January 1

snoop1130

3 minutes ago, zydeco said:

That would be nice. But it's a moving ramp, not an escalator with steps. Not only that but the escalator at Central Pinklao requires you to walk up a short flight of stairs to get to the escalator. Look, I really wish it were possible to directly move everything to the taxi from the store. But they system, in many places, is simply not constructed for that. 

I recommend you for bag this style,

614C87DB-DEA8-4BC6-9AF7-B63294CCD5A1.jpeg

EAA899B3-1F64-4F6B-9AAF-AE94A5EE8670.jpeg

F01B3444-F3E9-4774-9265-1A57B1E6D810.jpeg

2DE849C6-2F3D-4CC7-AAAC-6B82116936C1.jpeg

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, zydeco said:

Why do you use a private car? You pollute more with your trip to the grocery store than if you used 100 plastic bags. You should bicycle or use public transportation. But you're in hysterics over plastic bags???

I fall into this category mainly because the nearest 7/11 is 3 kms away and the nearest Tesco Lotus 25kms away and there is no public transportation in the rural countryside!!

21 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Hmmm.....no more free plastic bags for you fella...,

He was referring to other posters reply's …. but forgot the "..... " on THEIR quotes , hence his confused emoji

14 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Reducing plastic bags = more profit for the retailers,a windfall,

yes I know we should be getting rid of plastic bags,they are evil,

but why not give us an alternative with paper bags.

regards worgeordie

Years ago we only had paper bags, But we had to save the trees so paper bags were replaced with plastic. 

29 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Then where it go? The bin eat it? Or not?

What this story subject? Is start already.

Huh have you ever heard about recycle ? You can actualy use garbage to produse electricity / district

heating plant to suport a smal village but that means that the people actualy put the garbage in the bin

and not just trow it everywhere because them might have to walk a extra 50 meter to the nerest bin ( no

the bin not eat it silly you lol ). Its probably to late to teach the Thais in there 20 , 30 , 40 , 50 , 60 etc etc but if you to day start teach the children maybe in 20 year from now you will see a Thailand plastic free or not have garbage everywhere you go , its actualy possible but you have to start change the Thai thinking that somebody else will clean up after you and insted actualy clean up after your self its not that hard.

20 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Look, I really wish it were possible to directly move everything to the taxi from the store. But they system, in many places, is simply not constructed for that. 

In such particularly cases, free plastic bags should be continued to been offered. 

14 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

Are you assuming you won’t be offered an alternative? Just in case take your own bags, think less about their profits and more about the good that will come from this. 

1 minute ago, david555 said:

He was referring to other posters reply's …. but forgot the "..... " on THEIR quotes , hence his confused emoji

Well..I will make my peace now.

I congratulate the Thai gov't and the Thai private interests for trying to rein in this curse-for a curse it truly is.

I am flummoxed by "farangs" whining that it may inconvenience them...selfish and beyond selfish.

Habits must change...and pray forgive the lack of humour that I have displayed on the subject because the planet is running out of time..unless we want all our wildlife to choke to death on plastic bags.

And then,of course,we will also choke as they burn the residue.

3 hours ago, david555 said:

Google has a different opinion seems …..

Brick.png

Thanks for the correction on the TetraPak (if that's what brand are used in Thailand) but the coffee cups cannot be recycled.

1 hour ago, wayned said:

And many years ago the reason we stopped using paper bags was to save all of the trees that were being cut down to make them!  If we hadn't switched to paper back then today's environmental situation would be far worse than it is now!

BS! stores stopped using paper bags because it was cheaper for the stores to buy plastic bags.  The plastic bag industry aggressively marketed the use of "single-use" plastic bags in Europe starting in 1965 and migrated to the US in 1979.  

Well, I'm not going to read 9 pages of comments and I doubt few of you will.  But, just to let you know, one of the things that made paper bags so unpopular was the proliferation of the small house roaches.  They love the glue used to seal the bottoms of the paper bags and they would lay their eggs in them.  So, don't keep your paper bags around too long or store them below the kitchen cabinet...  I'll just be buying plastic trash bags and carrying my groceries, etc in them.

15 minutes ago, JWRC said:

Years ago we only had paper bags, But we had to save the trees so paper bags were replaced with plastic. 

And wrong again.... plastic bags were cheaper, easier to manage at the retail shop.... plastic bags are lighter in weight so transportation costs are significantly lower for plastic bags compared to the same quantity of paper bags used for groceries.  In 1985, the cost for 1,000 plastic bags was $24 while the cost for the same number of paper bags for groceries was $30.  You truly believe that the plastic industry or retailers were concerned about the health of the forests? 555  Cost/profit was the driver...    ting tong    555

14 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

villa market has old style brown paper bags just like the 1970's for the last few months.

they have a big sign that says "Due to global warming we no longer have plastic bags." not joking.

Got one at Villa Ploenchit a few days ago although they saw I had a cotton bag.

45 minutes ago, JWRC said:

The could grow more Eucalyptus trees(They already do in Isaan),

which would keep farmers busy,and it's a renewable resource.

regards Worgeordie

15 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

Why not have your own shopping bag like it use to be 40years ago. I have my own bag but the market people will put the items still in a plastic bag if you let them. But I have to except  it if its soup or a liquid item. Haven't  got round to taking a container with me but I will.

1 minute ago, Percy P said:

Why not have your own shopping bag like it use to be 40years ago. I have my own bag but the market people will put the items still in a plastic bag if you let them. But I have to except  it if its soup or a liquid item. Haven't  got round to taking a container with me but I will.

Because I dont always remember to carry a bag,I suppose in time

it will become natural .

regards Worgeordie

10 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Less to burn = better air quality.

But it can still be an eyesore if people throw the bag away on the road side. l live in a village while in Thailand and the trash thrown out of cars is unbelievable. Every morning l walk 500 meters on the way picking this trash up.

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I always mai sai toom. No plastic! Then they start loading up my bag. Most look at me like I am from Mars. Do I care? Not one iota. About 1% thank me, and get it. Not many do

I think look at you from Mars because they not understand you. 

Toom?  You speak Mars language?

You must say “toong” 

“mai sai toong”. 

Better to say “mai sai toong na krap”  polite way. 

Ps. Toong = plastic bag  Not plastic. 

Archived