New British passport from KL High Commission

Passports are printed locally. So in KL in response to your Q.

The information ,not the passport, will come from the UK-that's all.

So any delay will simply be a case  of more demand than supply.

That could vary daily

Edited by Delight
  • Haha 1

My application had to be sent back to Liverpool as is standard now and they quoted 4-6 weeks. However it was back in 13 days,

Be careful, as if you don't collect it in 21 days from notification it will be returned to Liverpool. This is through VFS.

4 minutes ago, Traubert said:

My application had to be sent back to Liverpool as is standard now and they quoted 4-6 weeks. However it was back in 13 days,

Be careful, as if you don't collect it in 21 days from notification it will be returned to Liverpool. This is through VFS.

Thanks - was that from KL?

This is the way that I think UK passports are made

1st Stage -The blank passports

These are volume manufactured. The factories are highly secure. Many security techniques are employed within the passport itself. The perforated number will be included at this stage. Each number is unique. Gemalto UK Ltd will produce these blank passports post Brexit

2nd stage Personalising them.

Clearly this has to be done on a one by one basis.

The signature page is printed-as is the detail page . The hologram  film is added after this stage. High tech -maybe -but not high volume.

This has nothing to do with the manufacturer of the blank passports.

It is my belief that this  stage is done locally -under the full control of the relevant  British embassies .

My recent new passport was posted to me internally within  Thailand.

The UK simply holds the information about the  passport holder.

Edited by Delight

No, from Guangzhou in China. I think VFS handles all the British service now.

I did pay a little extra for 48 pages and courier service but the whole thing was a little over 100 quid. 114 if my memory serves correctly.

8 minutes ago, Traubert said:

No, from Guangzhou in China. I think VFS handles all the British service now.

I did pay a little extra for 48 pages and courier service but the whole thing was a little over 100 quid. 114 if my memory serves correctly.

No worries... was thinking the wait could be different depending on the country.

4 hours ago, Delight said:

It is my belief that this  stage is done locally -under the full control of the relevant  British embassies .

My recent new passport was posted to me internally within  Thailand.

The UK simply holds the information about the  passport holder.

Your belief is wrong.

All British passports are completely produced in the UK they are all returned by DHL

In the vast majority of countries the passports are returned directly to the applicant. Thailand is one of the very few countries where they are sent to a central point for collection (VFS Bangkok) they can possibly be resent from there.

4 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

In the vast majority of countries the passports are returned directly to the applicant. Thailand is one of the very few countries where they are sent to a central point for collection (VFS Bangkok) they can possibly be resent from there.

I won't have a permanent address while in KL. Would I not be able to get it sent to the high commission or another collection point in KL?

21 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

I won't have a permanent address while in KL. Would I not be able to get it sent to the high commission or another collection point in KL?

To the best of my knowledge you cannot get a passport sent to anywhere other than an address where you can provide proof that you live. So probably no.

If renewing you passport in Malaysia you will have to send your current passport back. The estimated time taken is 4 weeks 

CCC27BDC-8F3A-4F74-8911-091ED85AD4B4.thumb.png.21027188f34ff15d05259261b3947b6b.png

Edited by sometimewoodworker
Additional information

4 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Your belief is wrong.

All British passports are completely produced in the UK they are all returned by DHL

This is because Thailand makes an excuse that your passport could be forged even though you can produce all the old copies and compare pictures so you had to get it notarised in the past involving a trip to the embassy in Bangkok. Thailand the hub of making easy things as hard as possible and my wife is an expert at this.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

To the best of my knowledge you cannot get a passport sent to anywhere other than an address where you can provide proof that you live. So probably no.

Thanks.... can anyone confirm / deny?

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:
7 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Thanks.... can anyone confirm / deny?

Here in Pattaya we can use an agent and they are picked up by him. 

The sending to a confirmed address doesn’t include Thailand as the  passport goes to VFS and now a representative is permitted. However you still have to provide proof of your address to get the passport.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

I don't remember being asked for proof of address last time. 

Bad memory does not mean that you did not do it ???? Go to https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports and complete the form you will need proof of address

4 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Could this feasibly be a UK address though? 

Of course it can but you will first have to send your passport to the UK and get someone from the UK to send it and the new one back to you. And you will have to lie on the application form. Not a very good idea IMNSHO 

17 minutes ago, Mr Smithy said:

Unless you have a provable address a new passport will not be issued. 

I would question that statement? my last passport, I had to travel to the UK to get it as ran out of pages, I got in Liverpool and they used the hotel directly next door to the office as my address.

Just now, CGW said:

I would question that statement? my last passport, I had to travel to the UK to get it as ran out of pages, I got in Liverpool and they used the hotel directly next door to the office as my address.

Why couldn't you get one delivered to where you were?

1 minute ago, RickG16 said:

Why couldn't you get one delivered to where you were?

I was in Thailand, my retirement visa was due and I had to get a Chinese visa & travel within two weeks - I had no pages left!

The full passport I had was from the UK I applied at VHF in Bangkok, due to holidays etc it took 5 weeks to get in hand, this time I couldn't wait as the previous wait cost me dearly as lost working days due to "delay"

• Like 1