Bangkok falls in popularity amongst expats: survey

webfact

I used to love Bangkok but after they socially cleansed sukhumvit, drove away the vendors and hawkers, imposed western rules on go go bars, closed the clubs down, and effectively introduced curfew and martial law for white people I left to live in Pattaya, the last late night,  free wheeling,  cosmopolitan city in Thailand.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, BobbyL said:

In terms of being an affordable place that offers a good lifestyle then that is definitely true. However, pollution and the constant immigration nuisances are things that seem to be getting worse over recent years.  

I live in Thailand and EVERY time I have to visit Bangkok, I end up with a sore throat and feel bad

Pollution is the one reason I do not nor ever will live in Bangkok ! 

Taipei and Taiwan are very nice and high up on my list of "next place" when I decide to leave BKK. Prices are comparable for food, drink and traveling. A cursory glance at apartments also showed similar rates, but these all vary by location. The Taiwanese are great - super friendly, well mannered and more educated than Thais in general. English is spoken and understood in most places in Taipei and the other major cities (if not, there usually is someone around that can help).

The national parks in Taiwan are amazing and there is no dual pricing system (in fact I think they are mostly free). Taxis are cheap and honest, the train network is brilliant and roads are safe and in great shape. The visa situation is very straightforward and it is possible to get permanent residency after a period of years. Government corruption is significantly less than Thailand.

Only downside I know of, the weather sucks from May to Sept during typhoon season.  

I wake up every day, look out at my view of the Chao Phraya River, my lovely Thai wife, the life we have ... and am happy and grateful for the past 9 years in Bangkok.  It has everything I need, and would be very surprised if I ever left it.  The best decision I ever made ... was packing up and putting the USA in the rear view mirror, and moving to a country filled with beautiful people and places.  I would consider it a great favor if the haters would just read this ... and move along. This posting is for like minded people who love life in The Kingdom, and respect Thai People.

Two things.  Firstly I wouldn't listen to anything Internations had to say.

I have been a member for years and have never met one of them.  All they are after is a payday of one form or another.

Secondly, the old school have left the place anyway and what is left is married men who can't get out and young guys who think they are experienced.

6 minutes ago, car720 said:

Two things.  Firstly I wouldn't listen to anything Internations had to say.

I have been a member for years and have never met one of them.  All they are after is a payday of one form or another.

Secondly, the old school have left the place anyway and what is left is married men who can't get out and young guys who think they are experienced.

Please read this slowly ... it is bordering on making no sense.  Perhaps you sent it before you proof read it?

You have been a member but never met one of them?

All that is left is married men and young guys ... so like ... every type?

52 minutes ago, bangkokequity said:

I wake up every day, look out at my view of the Chao Phraya River, my lovely Thai wife, the life we have ... and am happy and grateful for the past 9 years in Bangkok.  It has everything I need, and would be very surprised if I ever left it.  The best decision I ever made ... was packing up and putting the USA in the rear view mirror, and moving to a country filled with beautiful people and places.  I would consider it a great favor if the haters would just read this ... and move along. This posting is for like minded people who love life in The Kingdom, and respect Thai People.

Well how lovely for you...but maybe open your tiny American mind to the possibility that there are lovely people in many other countries, that there are great views everywhere and that people can have a great life elsewhere without the excessive number of negatives and annoyances that have been worsening here over the years. Thailand isn't the only country, there are many others, get out a map and have a little look.

And one more thing, people can be critical of Thailand and especially its immigration process without that implying that they hate or disrespect Thai people or Thailand in general. I am sure most posters understand that, but obviously not all.

5 hours ago, shy coconut said:

Blimey, you didn't mention cost of living.

I see London languishing at #72 and we don't have TM30, 90 day reports and a currency

in the gutter, any thoughts? 

...also Vancouver at #64. probably cost of living & weather come into it?

2 minutes ago, uncleeagle said:

Well how lovely for you...but maybe open your tiny American mind to the possibility that there are lovely people in many other countries, that there are great views everywhere and that people can have a great life elsewhere without the excessive number of negatives and annoyances that have been worsening here over the years. Thailand isn't the only country, there are many others, get out a map and have a little look.

And one more thing, people can be critical of Thailand and especially its immigration process without that implying that they hate or disrespect Thai people or Thailand in general. I am sure most posters understand that, but obviously not all.

There is always one, isn't there?  My "tiny American mind" has traveled the globe, and most of the USA.  Yes, of course there are endless examples of wonderful places to live, all different, and with fantastic happy lives possible.  Who suggested otherwise?  As to criticizing immigration policies ... "up to you" I guess ... since I am SURE venting on Thai Visa is going to CHANGE policies (not 555) ... But I do understand that frustration.  That is different that the Thai Bashing that is really the core element of Thai Visa.  
Thank you for confirming my suspicion that SOMEONE could not resist the temptation to pi$$ on my posting .. jealously perhaps?  There are people in this word who truly DO have "Tiny Minds" ... and can not bear to see others happy. 

Please do me a favor, don't go away mad ... just go away.  

3 hours ago, chilli42 said:

I concur, I detest the place. The only plus I can think of is affordability.  I lived in Canada with my Thai wife for 3 years.  She hated it - boring was the first word out her mouth followed closely by Canadians have no sense of humor (maybe she meant me).  Well, to each their own.  I would happily leave Bangkok and never come back.  Happy wife happy life.

I bemoan the day I moved back to polluted, noisy, expensive, stressful Bangkok from Vietnam 5 months ago. I knew it was going to be expensive but you really don't know how much until the thousand baht notes start flying out the wallet in pairs and the debit card spends more time in the ATM slot than the wallet. And I'm just talking about every day expenses. I gave up the night life years ago. 

Unfortunately, I still have substantial amount of money on deposit. When the lease (and O-A-based retirement extension) ends, so does my tenure here. I'm considering returning to Vietnam next spring. I'm starting off with a visit there next week.

Off topic: Where did you live, Edmonton? Lacking sense of humour? I've found life pretty smooth and friendly the last few years of revisiting Toronto, for example. Maybe your wife was setting you up because she really REALLY wanted to move back to Thailand. I know some Thais and Viets in Canada and the US, none of whom want to go back to the home country. Full stop. Not even to visit family. 

3 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

I bemoan the day I moved back to polluted, noisy, expensive, stressful Bangkok from Vietnam 5 months ago. I knew it was going to be expensive but you really don't know how much until the thousand baht notes start flying out the wallet in pairs and the debit card spends more time in the ATM slot than the wallet. And I'm just talking about every day expenses. I gave up the night life years ago. 

Unfortunately, I still have substantial amount of money on deposit. When the lease (and O-A-based retirement extension) ends, so does my tenure here. I'm considering returning to Vietnam next spring. I'm starting off with a visit there next week.

Off topic: Where did you live, Edmonton? Lacking sense of humour? I've found life pretty smooth and friendly the last few years of revisiting Toronto, for example. Maybe your wife was setting you up because she really REALLY wanted to move back to Thailand. I know some Thais and Viets in Canada and the US, none of whom want to go back to the home country. Full stop. Not even to visit family. 

I hear Vietnam is a great fit for some people ... so ... why did you leave it?

12 minutes ago, bangkokequity said:

I hear Vietnam is a great fit for some people ... so ... why did you leave it?

I don't really want to go off topic here but as always, there are pros and cons. This thread, which contains some posts by me, is worth reading from the beginning. 

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1121082-what-they-dont-tell-you-about-clearing-off-to-vietnam/#comments

8 hours ago, intheheartoftheheart said:

Interesting list.

As someone that's been criss-crossing the globe for 4 years, staying wherever I like (with money not really an object, but also not something I like wasting) for a few months at a time, Taipei makes no sense to me.

Monthly rentals are few and far between and Toyko-level TINY. Food is great and everything else is cheap though. Housing is an issue. The new generation seems to have given up on learning English outside of Taipei, though.

KL is the most underrated town in SEA for expats. All the convenience of Bangkok (malls, healthcare, Grab) with none of the <deleted> (traffic, drunken chavs, airborne STDs) . It's the quietest, greenest SEA capital I've been to. Except for when the Sumatran burnings waft over ????

Singapore is the most boring city on earth. HCM is always good for a few weeks but can't imagine a few years there. 

Barcelona a tourist-hellhole, equal parts Nigerian scammers and Chinese herds. Nothing good left. Girona up the coast or Tarragona (or Valencia) are much better. 

Lisbon great if you have strong legs. Veering towards Barcelona levels of mass-tourism though.

Hague/Zug/Basel, no comment. Likely financial-parasite postings. Will dry up in the 2020 reset. 

I agree almost with all you said, especially KL. Visited KL 20 years ago and then it was as dirty as Bangkok, today it’s a green city. If only the beer wasn’t so expensive.

Basel is known for pharmaceutical industry, not banks.

Zug is by far the smallest town in the top 10. Amazing how it scored so high. Zug is attractive for international firms due to low taxes. Banks are in Zurich and Geneva.

2 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

I don't really want to go off topic here but as always, there are pros and cons. This thread, which contains some posts by me, is worth reading from the beginning. 

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1121082-what-they-dont-tell-you-about-clearing-off-to-vietnam/#comments

That was a very well written summary. thank you.  My take away was not Vietnam Verses Thailand.  It was Big City verses "other choices."  I think Thailand wins in that race.  What is wrong with smiling people? Let's not compare Bangkok to a village in Vietnam ... or any other village ... that is just silly.

I was lucky enough to leave almost 7 years ago. Sold my 26 rai of land (before I left) and my big house in Chiang Mai 6 months later. Always thought I would end my days in Thailand, until all the pollution, environmental concerns, fake "organic" products everywhere, corruption on every level. Bangkok is 40% higher to live than Chiang Mai and the pollution, traffic...forget it.

So you're saving money, big deal when the air you breathe is affecting your health. Good luck guys...happy in California! 

NO surprise...i can only echo TVF sentiment:  Immigration is the biggest issue.  Second, Baht strength, Third is everything else everyone has contributed from the hard reality of life here - Thailand does NOT = Elysium.  As many of my expat friends have done, time to move on...

4 minutes ago, mike787 said:

NO surprise...i can only echo TVF sentiment:  Immigration is the biggest issue.  Second, Baht strength, Third is everything else everyone has contributed from the hard reality of life here - Thailand does NOT = Elysium.  As many of my expat friends have done, time to move on...

Hey Mike ... best of luck ... safe travels.  When are you leaving?

2 minutes ago, bangkokequity said:

Hey Mike ... best of luck ... safe travels.  When are you leaving?

Thank you for the kind well wishes, your so nice.  Making plans with my thai wife we are just looking at that now....will let you know soon.  

4 minutes ago, mike787 said:

Thank you for the kind well wishes, your so nice.  Making plans with my thai wife we are just looking at that now....will let you know soon.  

OK, quick question, how can immigration be a problem, you have  Thai wife ... so a Visa that matches?

29 minutes ago, bangkokequity said:

OK, quick question, how can immigration be a problem, you have  Thai wife ... so a Visa that matches?

Out of respect of your time, If it were as simple as having a Thai wife to fix/avoid all my and the many Thai immigration related issue that so many forum contributors have expereinced since the inception of TVF, we would never be having this discussion nor would most be mentioning immigration issues.   The matter is much more complex than only immigration, though that in of itself is plenty enough to make many consider other countries as easier paths to a more peaceful existence. Adding to the immigration issues as stated by other contributors and outlined by the survey, are additional deal breaking non negotialble issues.  However, I greatly appreciate you reaching out to demonstrate such unwavering concern and compassion.    

Ive been here in Bkk for 10 yrs and I'm out  the government the people have changed  I have a great job but it's to hard now and the attitude of the Thais that  think we are all millionaires  but look at you as your the dumbest bloke in the room maybe I am lol. 

Pollution, Traffic the list  goes on and as they say the Rose coloured glasses have come off. 

7 minutes ago, mike787 said:

Out of respect of your time, If it were as simple as having a Thai wife to fix/avoid all my and the many Thai immigration related issue that so many forum contributors have expereinced since the inception of TVF, we would never be having this discussion nor would most be mentioning immigration issues.   The matter is much more complex than only immigration, though that in of itself is plenty enough to make many consider other countries as easier paths to a more peaceful existence. Adding to the immigration issues as stated by other contributors and outlined by the survey, are additional deal breaking non negotialble issues.  However, I greatly appreciate you reaching out to demonstrate such unwavering concern and compassion.    

Thank you Mike ... it is close to bedtime, and I do not want to lie awake worrying about your plans.  I do wish you all the luck when the shoe is on the other foot and you try to get your Thai wife a visa to a different country ... You may look back and realize, that with really not much effort, Thailand was quite willing to accommodate you. Safe travels ...

5 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

My friends wife from Thailand moved to Canada years ago

she loves it here, fresh air. Great food warm people

she has made it clear she will never return 

boring????

perhaps in a Thai village, far more to occupy their time in Canada 

and with immigrants, many many asian communities here

17 hours ago, hansnl said:

In my circle many did, two went home, two went to Manilla and one is getting ready to leave.

Me too. Tired of Immigration requirements. A day's waiting at the One-Stop centre to get WP renewed. This 'Alien' went to Canada and find life even affordable here. 

11 hours ago, CLS said:

Basel is known for pharmaceutical industry, not banks.

Zug is by far the smallest town in the top 10. Amazing how it scored so high. Zug is attractive for international firms due to low taxes. Banks are in Zurich and Geneva.

Makes total sense. I've been to all three, Zug was my favorite. But couldn't imagine doing more than a year there unless I was really into hiking and cheese. ????

20 hours ago, bangkokequity said:

Please read this slowly ... it is bordering on making no sense.  Perhaps you sent it before you proof read it?

You have been a member but never met one of them?

All that is left is married men and young guys ... so like ... every type?

Then allow me to educate you.  I was nominated as a member of Internations by a friend of mine many years ago and because I have always lived in remote places where they do not have an 'ambassador' then I have never met one.  Of the originals all that are left now are guys that have to stay because they are married and some young guys that make up the tale of the dog.  If you don't know the meaning of that then you will have to ask someone else.

Archived