Pattaya shamed into action on safety and scams after German TV show exposes Thailand

webfact

Pattaya shamed into action on safety and scams after German TV show exposes Thailand

1pm.jpg

Thai caption: Attacks...solve Pattaya's safety issues

Pattaya can expect a greater police presence - at least in the coming days and weeks - after a German TV show exposing scams and lack of safety in Thailand prompted the Thais to take action.

It was noted that scams abound in Pattaya a well-visited resort where in recent weeks there has been a large number of snatch thefts. Manager had pictures of Russian tourists with children who had been robbed. 

The German TV show "Achtung Abzokc" (look out for rip-offs) pulled no punches in pointing the finger at Thailand.

This prompted the upper echelons of government - the Interior Ministry - to order Pattaya officials to get serious on crime and scams against the resort's 10 million annual foireign tourists.

Deputy mayor Ronnakit Ekkasingh jumped to the call of the interior ministry's beat.

He immediately called a meeting demanding action. Present were tourism officials from the Pattaya TAT and Chonburi representatives of the tourism ministry and the local chamber of commerce. 

They were joined by the tourist police and regular police from all four of the stations in the Pattaya area - Pattaya police, Bang Lamung, Na Jomtien and Huay Yai. Immigration's presence was also demanded. 

562000012110403.jpg
Picture: Manager Online

Among the observations at the gathering was the feeling that there had been a considerable loss of face concerning the continuing plans for the EEC (Eastern Economic Corridor), indicated Manager. 

This is a plan that aims to promote the eastern seaboard and Pattaya in particular as a fine tourist destination for both domestic and international tourism alike. 

Pattaya also wants to attract families and the bad press is hardly likely to do that.

Pattaya can expect more police on the streets between 10 pm and 4 am from today and through the tourist season. 

CTTV is also being reviewed. 

Many in Pattaya will be asking themselves why it takes foreign media to highlight issues in the city that have been known for years, notes Thaivisa. 

And why such issues as scams and safety for tourists can't be solved by local action without the need for foreign prompting. 

Source: Manager Online

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-12-09

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uh oh, the facade and window dressing got knocked off. Sound the alarm. Given how long Thailand was able to deflect; Teflon Thai Tourism. You wonder if they can make any substantive changes and how long to get back the tourists they have lost?

Maybe it's not possible ?

Hilarious thats what it is, German tv highlights the scams in Pattaya.

So nowthere will be a massive knee jerk reaction, from city hall, police, then in a week or 2 back to the usual, police sleeping, cameras not working, pityfull, pathetic situation.

14 minutes ago, webfact said:

They were joined by the tourist police and regular police from all four of the stations in the Pattaya area - Pattaya police, Bang Lamung, Na Jomtien and Huay Yai.

They're all on the busiest roads, jamming up traffic and robbing motorists to give a hoot about Pattaya's reputation - the police more than any other institution here is responsible for lowering how tourists view Thailand.  Ask how many taxi drivers have been prosecuted by Plod for not using meters?  If they can't cure this problem in a week then there's no hope.

I lived in Manila for 11 years back in the late 70's and 80's and ran the red light district waaaaay too much, but I never had a problem and never knew of anyone being scammed or attacked. As in most red light districts there was a mafia that protected the area and they policed their own. They were smart enough to realize that a few bad apples would destroy the business for everyone, so they dealt with them immediately without the necessity for police intervention. Why oh why are the Thais not wise enough to figure that out for themselves. It's not rocket science!

20 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Now if maybe Panorama could do a show about Thailand's inconsistent immigration policies then we'd be cooking on gas.

why should they? People in the UK have absolutely no interest in how expats who have managed to escape to the 'tropical paradise' of Thailand have some small local issues with immigration.  Tough luck they would say and they would be dead on. Suck it up and get on with life,

6 minutes ago, fittobethaied said:

I lived in Manila for 11 years back in the late 70's and 80's and ran the red light district waaaaay too much, but I never had a problem and never knew of anyone being scammed or attacked. As in most red light districts there was a mafia that protected the area and they policed their own. They were smart enough to realize that a few bad apples would destroy the business for everyone, so they dealt with them immediately without the necessity for police intervention. Why oh why are the Thais not wise enough to figure that out for themselves. It's not rocket science!

Because no need, prostitution does not exist in Pattaya apparently.

Another pathetic non response from the authorities.  They didn't need a meeting to know that Pattaya is a (deleted) hole full of scams and criminals. As usual they wring their hands, but will do nothing.  I wonder how the farang apologists for this dump of a  City will react to this German programme.  That will be more interesting to me.   No doubt the " I have lived here for 20 years and I have had no problems at all, it's a lovely place" , brigade will be up in arms shortly.  ????

7 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

why should they? People in the UK have absolutely no interest in how expats who have managed to escape to the 'tropical paradise' of Thailand have some small local issues with immigration.  Tough luck they would say and they would be dead on. Suck it up and get on with life,

MMMMM you hab ploblem this morning ? 

38 minutes ago, webfact said:
Many in Pattaya will be asking themselves why it takes foreign media to highlight issues in the city that have been known for years, notes Thaivisa. 
And why such issues as scams and safety for tourists can't be solved by local action without the need for foreign prompting. 

It's obvious it needs a loss of face in the foreign press/TV to get them to pretend they'll do something about it - until it fades from the local authority's memory, but not that of the foreign devils.

1 minute ago, Liverpudlian said:

MMMMM you hab ploblem this morning ? 

Not at all, except that I was freezing cold in bed last night, I just don't see that immigration issues are such a big problem in my live, irritating sometimes, but not so big a problem.  To be honest, I would rather see a programme on how to avoid green algae in my pool.  ????

46 minutes ago, webfact said:

Among the observations at the gathering was the feeling that there had been a considerable loss of face

I can feel a face saving crackdown coming on. Come on Pattaya, get that face back, you know how crucial it is!

20 minutes ago, fittobethaied said:

Because only 'now' exists. Long term planning is an alien concept.

The Article was spot on with this:

"

And why such issues as scams and safety for tourists can't be solved by local action without the need for foreign prompting."

I find it pathetic that they never care about anything else than stopping motorcycles for some tea money.
But when a foreign tv show highlights the important issues, then they "jump to action"
to land again on their comfortable feet in a few weeks, probably doing nothing again until the next tv show.

It's crazy that people who need police assistance have to pay to get them do their job in the 1st place.
And wealthy people can pay to have them not do their job.
Have they found out yet where Mr. Redbull lives?

Rapes, murder, thefts, drug abuse and more are rampant in Thailand.
It's well known by local people, yet the police does not seem to know anything at all....
I know two areas, not just a house, but STREETS, where you can openly buy yaba, weed, ice,...
How come Mr. Foreigner knows and 300.000 officers do not??
It's almost funny if it weren't to laugh at

59 minutes ago, webfact said:

It was noted that scams abound in Pattaya a well-visited resort where in recent weeks there has been a large number of snatch thefts

I think that "large number" of snatch thefts is 4.  NYC and San Francisco it happens daily, not usually newsworthy, but it happens. 

Anywhere there are tourists there are snatchers and scammers. 

19 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Not at all, except that I was freezing cold in bed last night, I just don't see that immigration issues are such a big problem in my live, irritating sometimes, but not so big a problem.  To be honest, I would rather see a programme on how to avoid green algae in my pool.  ????

It's called chlorine.

called a meeting, that will sort it, i like the *formed a committee,* sounds a bit more *official* remember the  famous US guy (name slips me) who shamed them into getting rid of the power lines, and the farangs picking up trash, its sad they should  have to be shamed just to do normal every day jobs

Multiple off topic troll posts from the same person trying his hardest to hijack the topic have been removed,  also replies,  you need to stop this now or you will be going on holiday

Archived