Non-Immigrant O-A re-entry

I am US citizen in Thailand on non-imm o-a that expires Feb 11th 2020

I will most likely leave end of December 2019 and return approximately June-Sept 2020.

If a re-entry is not possible on same visa, would another O-A not be worth it for 4 month stay? 

the 800k in bank is only for O-A renewal/extension?

I may go to Vietnam and come back this month, not sure that would matter on re-entry. 

thank you for any help. 

If you do indeed have a valid O-A, you could do  a quick border run, get a Permit to Stay until Dec 2020, and protect that with a Re-Entry Permit. Vietnam trip would do that. You could then return and stay until Dec 2020.

A New O-A will require insurance.

What is the date of your current permit? (Not same as Visa validity.)

800k (seasoned) is needed to make a retirement extension, beware that also requires insurance on an O-A Permit to Stay.

Edited by jacko45k

I just got back from Immigration and she showed me that I have a stamp in my passport until Oct 28th 2020. I had no idea that was there. 

so a re-entry is not an "extension"?  she said I would need the money in the bank when getting extension. (I assume past the Oct 28th 2020 stamp in my passport)

I would do a multiple re-entry.

Edited by mitebbots

15 hours ago, mitebbots said:

so a re-entry is not an "extension

No, a Re-Entry permit simply keeps your current Permit To Stay valid if you leave and re-enter the country. An extension is exactly that, the Permit To Stay is Extended (usually for a year). 

A Non-Imm-OA Visa allows for one year Permit To Stay for each entry during it's validity, it is a multiple entry Visa valid for a year from date of issue..

If you wish to apply for an Extension, that can usually be done 30 days to a few days before the Permit To Stay Ends at your local IO. 

Thank you very much for this. I will definitely do the TM.8 before leaving. didn't realize this could go until Oct 2021. 

The only thing that i am trying to figure is my 4 day turnaround to Vietnam next week, before I leave Thailand the end of December. Would i want to do the multiple re-entry before the Vietnam trip? 

35 minutes ago, mitebbots said:

Thank you very much for this. I will definitely do the TM.8 before leaving. didn't realize this could go until Oct 2021. 

The only thing that i am trying to figure is my 4 day turnaround to Vietnam next week, before I leave Thailand the end of December. Would i want to do the multiple re-entry before the Vietnam trip? 

Double check your Visa (this  will be the one you obtained in USA and should show it is a Non-Immigrant category O-A. Look for the Enter by Date - this is the expiration date.  According to your original post, this should be February 11, 2020. Thus, the Visa will still be valid for entry when you return from Vietnam - since O-A Visas issued in the USA are multiple entry, you should get another one year stay until December 2021 when you return - no need for a Re-Entry stamp so long as you return before the Enter by Date on the Visa. 

Therefore, the previous information will apply, but when you get your Re-Entry Permit before you depart again, it will expire in December 2021. When you return June-Sept 2020, the Permission to Stay stamp will be the December 2021 date. 

19 minutes ago, mitebbots said:

You write that your OA Visa validity expires on Feb 11, 2020.

When you exit Thailand and re-enter BEFORE that expiry-date you will be stamped in again for a full year.

So if you want to get the maximum out of your original OA Visa, you could exit and then re-enter Thailand e.g. on Feb 10, 2020.  Doing so you will be stamped in till Feb 9, 2021.

However, you write that you will exit Thailand end of December 2019, and will only return 4-6 months later.

So in your case to get the maximum out of your original OA Visa, you could exit and then re-enter Thailand e.g. on Dec 15, 2019 (or earlier/later as convenient for you).  Doing so you will be stamped in till Dec 14, 2020.

Once your original OA Visa validity has expired (after Feb 11, 2020), you will need to have a single (1000 THB) or multiple (3800 THB) re-entry permit to re-enter Thailand.  That re-entry permit keeps your permission to stay (e.g. till Dec 14, 2020) alive when exiting and re-entering Thailand.

So in your case you need to do that BEFORE you leave Thailand end December 2019.

The re-entry permit can be bought at your local IO or at the re-entry desk in Suvarnabhumi airport before having passed immigration.

After your return 4-6 months later, the re-entry permit will have kept your permission to stay alive, allowing you to stay till Dec 14, 2020.

if you want to extend your stay after the permission to stay date (Dec 14, 2020), you need to apply for an extension of stay based on your original OA - retirement Visa.

Doing so, you need to meet the requirements (a.o. the financial requirements by parking money or transfering money to a thai bank-account 2 months before your application).  Please note that for an extension of stay based on an OA Visa for reason of retirement, that you most probably would also need to meet the new health-insurance requirement.

If you are already well-insured, there are relatively easy ways to avoid this.  I won't go into detail on that now, as it will only become relevant for you when you need to prepare for the extension of stay (which will be end 2020 in your case).

14 minutes ago, soisanuk said:

Double check your Visa (this  will be the one you obtained in USA and should show it is a Non-Immigrant category O-A. Look for the Enter by Date - this is the expiration date.  According to your original post, this should be February 11, 2020. Thus, the Visa will still be valid for entry when you return from Vietnam - since O-A Visas issued in the USA are multiple entry, you should get another one year stay until December 2020 when you return - no need for a Re-Entry stamp so long as you return before the Enter by Date on the Visa. 

Therefore, the previous information will apply, but when you get your Re-Entry Permit before you depart again, it will expire in December 2020. When you return June-Sept 2020, the Permission to Stay stamp will be the December 2020 date. 

Hi Soisanuk,

The information you provided is correct, except for the dates you mentioned.  I think you got a little confused because of the end of year dates 2020/2021.  I have taken the liberty to correct the dates in your post just above (rendered in red). 

Thank you, I am only going to Vietnam for 4 days, retuning in Dec 2019, so since my original OA is still valid when I return I will be stamped that date. when I leave for US and return after original O-A expiration date, that is when the TM.8 would be important? sorry, this is just so confusing. 

21 minutes ago, mitebbots said:

Thank you, I am only going to Vietnam for 4 days, retuning in Dec 2019, so since my original OA is still valid when I return I will be stamped that date. when I leave for US and return after original O-A expiration date, that is when the TM.8 would be important? sorry, this is just so confusing. 

You will be stamped to Dec 2020 if you indeed have a non-expired O-A Visa. A TM 8, ie Re-Entry Permit can then be obtained to keep that Dec 2020 Permission to Stay in the event you leave Thailand and do not return before the O-A Visa expires. It must be obtained before you leave Thailand for the USA from Immigration or the airport.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, mitebbots said:

I just hope they do not stamp me 30 days for health insurance when I return from Vietnam.

Thanks again to everyone, huge help.

Its highly unlikely and if it comes up, gently, politely, but firmly, try to speak with thier supervisor. 

Hi...slightly confused, would appreciate some clarification

I have a one year Type O-A retirement visa, valid until March 24th 2020. My visa also has the multi-entry permit.

I am planning on flying to UK on December 22nd 2019 for xmas, and returning to Bangkok on January 8th 2020. This will be my first trip outside Thailand since getting the retirement visa in March this year.

My questions are..

1. Do I need to apply for the re-entry permit at airport when I leave, or am I covered by the re-entry permit stamp in passport?

2. Do I need to prove Health insurance cover at re-entry on January 8th 2020...will immigration at the airport ask to see this?

3. Will my passport be stamped with a further one year extension upon return as this is my first exit/return on this visa?

Apologies if these questions so basic and obvious, but I'm paranoid about 'ticking all the boxes'

Thank You 

9 minutes ago, SORTMO1 said:

I have a one year Type O-A retirement visa, valid until March 24th 2020. My visa also has the multi-entry permit.

if you have a valid OA visa issued by embassy or consulate it is a multiple entry visa that allows unlimited one year permits to stay up to the date it expires. You do not need a re-entry permit.

9 minutes ago, SORTMO1 said:

Hi...slightly confused, would appreciate some clarification

I am planning on flying to UK on December 22nd 2019 for xmas, and returning to Bangkok on January 8th 2020. This will be my first trip outside Thailand since getting the retirement visa in March this year.

My questions are..

1. Do I need to apply for the re-entry permit at airport when I leave, or am I covered by the re-entry permit stamp in passport?

2. Do I need to prove Health insurance cover at re-entry on January 8th 2020...will immigration at the airport ask to see this?

3. Will my passport be stamped with a further one year extension upon return as this is my first exit/return on this visa?

Apologies if these questions so basic and obvious, but I'm paranoid about 'ticking all the boxes'

Thank You 

1. I assume you have a Non-Imm-OA Visa that as issued from London March 24th 2019! If you return before March 2020, no Re-Entry Permit is required as the Visa is still Valid.

2) No Health Insurance requirement for O-As issued before Oct 31st 2019.

3) You will be given a new Permission of Stay Valid for one year. It is not an extension.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I returned from Vietnam on Dec 19th, with my still valid non-imm o-a from US and they didn't stamp me 30 days for insurance. 

i did the tm.8 multiple re-entry at immigration and I have Dec 17th 2020 in the passport. (the day I departed for Vietnam).

thanks again for all the help.