Disrespected and insulted at the US embassy. Tourist visa denied to wife of US citizen for no specific reason.

Many years ago I looked into this and it seemed daunting/near impossible at that time.

Found this on a google, from Thailand Lawyer website, "In our experience, the following characteristics will assist in granting a tourist visa:  professionals employed by large or multinational companies, high status Thai government civil servants, the very wealthy, and elderly persons seeking to visit relatives."

They only say "assist" not "allow", so no guarantees ever it seems

Get in the back of the line. Your story is only the one of many Similar ones over the years. The same happened to my wife, and we had a stronger case than yours. They gave us a list Of excuses and we went back the next day (when you could just get in line). The second lady talked to the First Lady and she rejected the application, too.

However, an obvious working girl with a tank top, super short and tight skirt, many tattoos, high heels and at least 15 baht of gold adorned in various places got a 10-year visa at that same time. I overheard her boyfriend (not legally registered husband) say that they had been together less than a year and lived in Pattaya. 

Its a fairly subject process getting a visa at the US embassy. Especially under Trump. One point to note is that a travel history (with lots of photographs!) is important, but the trips don’t carry much weight if it’s to Asian countries. Trips to Australia or Europe carry a lot more weight. After we did a trip to the UK and Norway, had been together and I’d had my job longer, my wife was five a one-year and then a ten-year visa. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

A very common theme for this particular American Embassy in Bangkok.  Having used the services of American Embassies in Cairo and Singapore in the past, this one seems to be staffed with the most rude consular officials of the bunch. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

In cases where married to a US citizen, usually what they suspect is that the intention is to circumvent the lengthier process of getting a spousal visa and then apply to stay once in country. They suspect this because many people do it.

And another citation needed.

Eight years ago my wife had zero problems. Only letter of job guarantee from her job in big BKK city corporation. No serious assets. Few trips about Asia. Nothing.

They suspected her of staying. Seems like your so indignant because that was the plan.

You just got married and NOW want to visit after being together better part of ten years?!!? Should have applied prior. Smells fishy. Why wouldn't you want her to meet your family three years ago? Or when you had the spawn?

Do you live upcountry? Wife no job or no job linked to a corporation? Minimum 2-3 years?

Even leaving the kid here is no guarantee. Lots of people go abroad to work and send money home.

Up to them in this case.

Edited by Number 6
  • Like 2

While trying to comprehend why a 'particular' Honorary Consul I knew would take up the position which is supposedly unpaid apart from €1100 per annum and the unchecked 'Diplomatic Bag' I then looked at the small print and discovered that the visa fees etc are or can be paid directly to the Honorary Consul. I often wondered could this have something to do with rejected applications? Also Transparency International last year noted the rise of Diplomatic Crime?

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Obviously they were wrong not to examine suppporting documentation that would establish reason to stay in Thailand.

Your best recourse is to complain to your representative but I suggest you not harp on the issue of wanting to know the reason. The reason was in fact given in as much detail as it ever is. 

Rather the point of your complaint should be that the interviewer refused to look at supporting documentation that would have shown evidence of close ties to Thailand/intention to return.

And the gist of your complaint should be a request for re interview with full examination of the supporting documentation.

Broad agreement with that.

If indeed the US consular officer didn't look at any of the OP's wife's paper submissions, there still may have been something that possibly made them think there was a risk that she would overstay. It has been years since I have done or assisted with a US visa application but I assume like the UK visit visa application, there is a lengthy online procedure where support documents need to be uploaded as part of the application and prior to the interview? The application is itself is a statement of fact and must be corroborated by any supporting documentation. If this is the case, I would assume this consular officer has access to these digital submissions or statements and something misstated or misrepresented in those obviated the need to look at any other paperwork? I would focus on the 4 simple questions she was asked and review thoroughly the documentation or statements digitally submitted for a clue before kicking off any appeal procedure.

When my wife was applying for her initial visit visas for the UK, she stressed that since she was my wife and mother of our children, she would be returning to our family home which was in Thailand with me, her husband, who has long-stay non-immigrant visa status. In my accompanying letter, there was no suggestion whatsoever that I was planning to stay in the UK as my employment was not in the UK and I would be returning for work in the far east (not in Thailand BTW). Similarly, there was no mention of my having my own property there and we would either be staying with relatives or in hotels. The plan was to ensure there was no way they could assume that she/we would do otherwise. We didn't mention in the support documentation for her application that the kids would be traveling with us. Since they have dual Thai/UK citizenship and would use their UK passports to enter the UK, it didn't seem relevant to her application.

Good luck and I hope the OP's wife manages to get this decision overturned.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Thanks 1