Trump is fourth U.S. president to face impeachment as Democrats unveil charges

webfact

Trump is fourth U.S. president to face impeachment as Democrats unveil charges

By Richard Cowan and Susan Cornwell

2019-12-10T144811Z_1_LYNXMPEFB918S_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP-IMPEACHMENT.JPG

House Intelligence Chairman Adam Schiff (D-CA) speaks to reporters with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA); House Judiciary Chairman Jerrold Nadler (D-NY); House Financial Services Chairwoman Maxine Waters (D-CA); House Foreign Affairs Chairman Eliot Engel (D-NY); House Oversight and Reform Chairwoman Carolyn Maloney (D-NY); and House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Richard Neal (D-MA) during a news conference to announce artiicles of impeachment against U.S. President Donald Trump on Capitol Hill in Washington, U.S., December 10, 2019. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democrats in the U.S. House of Representatives announced impeachment charges against President Donald Trump on Tuesday, making him the fourth president in U.S. history to face a formal effort to remove him from office.

The Democratic-controlled House is almost certain to vote to impeach the president as soon as next week, setting up a trial in the Republican-led Senate early next year, shortly before the presidential election kicks off with primaries in Iowa and New Hampshire.

The effort to force Trump out of the White House faces long odds of success. At least 20 Senate Republicans would have to vote to remove him from office, and none so far have indicated they are considering such a move.

The Senate may opt to forego a full trial and instead hold its vote after House Democrats and Trump's defenders make their opening statements, Republican Senate Leader Mitch McConnell said at a news conference. That may go against the wishes of Trump, who wants to call his own witnesses.

The impeachment charges accuse Trump of "betraying" the country by abusing power in an effort to pressure Ukraine to probe a political rival and then obstructing Congress' investigation into the scandal.

Democrats announced formal charges against President Donald Trump on Tuesday that accuse him of abusing power and obstructing Congress, making him only the third U.S. president in history to face impeachment. Jonah Green reports.

House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerrold Nadler told reporters that Democrats had to take action because Trump had endangered the U.S. Constitution, jeopardized national security and undermined the integrity of the 2020 election.

"No one, not even the president, is above the law," Nadler said at a news conference. His panel could take up the charges as soon as Wednesday ahead of the full House vote.

White House spokeswoman Stephanie Grisham accused Democrats of engaging in a "baseless and partisan" attempt to undo his surprise victory in the 2016 election.

"WITCH HUNT!" Trump wrote on Twitter.

'OBSTRUCTION AND STALEMATE'

He is the fourth U.S. president to face impeachment.

Democratic President Bill Clinton was impeached in 1998 for lying about a sexual relationship he had with a White House intern, but he was acquitted in the Senate. Republican President Richard Nixon resigned in 1974 before he was impeached over his involvement in the Watergate scandal. Democratic President Andrew Johnson was impeached in 1868 but not convicted in the Senate.

Democrats have moved rapidly since launching their inquiry in late September after a whistleblower complaint about a July 25 telephone call in which Trump sought help from Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy to investigate former Vice President Joe Biden, a leading contender in the Democratic race to challenge Trump in next November's election.

The abuse of power charge accuses Trump of using nearly $400 million in U.S. security aid and a possible White House meeting with his Ukrainian counterpart to solicit Ukraine to publicly announce the investigations of Biden and a debunked theory that Ukraine, not Russia, interfered in the 2016 U.S. election.

The obstruction charge accuses the president of defying and impeding the House's efforts to investigate the scandal, adding that Trump would remain a threat to the U.S. Constitution if he remained in office.

Republicans argue Trump did nothing improper in his call with Zelenskiy and say there is no direct evidence he withheld aid or a White House meeting in exchange for a favour.

Top Democrats initially had been reluctant to pursue Trump's impeachment out of concerns that it could inspire a voter backlash in 2020.

According to Reuters/Ipsos polling, 44 percent of Americans support impeachment, with 42 percent opposed. Roughly three out of four Democrats support the effort, while fewer than one in 10 Republicans back it.

Nadler and other Democrats involved in the effort opted to focus solely on Trump's dealings with Ukraine, rather than the president's efforts to impede Special Counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into Russia's involvement in the 2016 election, or other controversial aspects of his tenure.

They say the two articles reflect Trump's worst offences and have the broadest support.

The two impeachment articles are bundled into a single resolution, which minimizes the risk of either of them failing on their own. During the Clinton impeachment, the House voted separately on four articles and two of them failed, including one on abuse of power.

Republican Senator Lindsey Graham, a leading figure in Clinton's impeachment, warned that Democrats were setting a dangerous precedent.

"Future Congresses will inevitably make impeachment a political tool to be used anytime a President of the opposing party occupies the White House," he said in a statement.

Representative Adam Schiff, the Democrat who spearheaded the investigation in the House Intelligence Committee, said Trump had given Democrats no choice.

"The evidence of the president's misconduct is overwhelming and uncontested," Schiff said.

The White House has refused to participate in the impeachment inquiry so far, but is expected to mount a vigorous defence in the Senate. It is unclear whether Trump himself will testify, but he refused to sit for an interview during Mueller's investigation.

Senate Leader McConnell complained that the process had crowded out work on other matters.

Congress is set to consider a rush of bipartisan legislation in the coming weeks, including legislation that upgrades military housing and establishes three months of family leave for federal workers. House lawmakers may approve a new trade deal between the United States, Canada and Mexico, which the Senate will not take up before the holidays.

Congress also must tackle legislation to fund the government through next September, which is due to expire on Dec. 20.

(Reporting by Susan Cornwell, Richard Cowan, David Morgan, Doina Chiacu, Patricia Zengerle, Ginger Gibson, Chris Kahn and Susan Heavey; Writing by Andy Sullivan and Paul Simao; Editing by Ross Colvin and Jonathan Oatis)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-12-11

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over 50%support impeachment and removal up from 37% before this last scandal crying dick I think that’s not good eh?personally the polls aren’t looking so good for Donald everyone’s getting tired of the constant scandals lies and corruption 

Just now, Tug said:

Over 50%support impeachment and removal up from 37% before this last scandal crying dick I think that’s not good eh?personally the polls aren’t looking so good for Donald everyone’s getting tired of the constant scandals lies and corruption 

Take a look at swing state polls. Also look at favorability over all and not just impeachment. Nation wide polls become meaningless because California and NY etc are already priced in as dem wins. The writing is on the wall.

IMO anyone who does not believe he did what he is accused in the articles of impeachment has a tenuous grasp on reality. Players are watching to see what the new rules of the game are, if this behaviour is  allowed, don't think they will not notice. 

This will not be problematic only for Democrats, if history is an indicator sooner or later they will also be in power. and there are just as many players within the democratic party as there are in the republican

This is not a game, Americans need to tread carefully, and try to keep the players at check as much as possible.

What happened to America first??

And so it begins...

I think that I view this situation a bit different than others; while Trump is officially on trial, I view it as the Republican Party as being on trial. Trump is what he is, I think most knew what he is and there isn't much more to say about it.

The Republican party, on the other hand, was something different, something much better. While not perfect (nothing is actually perfect), it stood for numerous principles that mattered; ethics in government, a free-market economy, a strong judicial system, morality in public affairs, a promotion of Rights and Freedoms abroad, the Rule of Law, efficient and effective government that lived within it's means, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

I don't recognize the Republican party in Trump's America, and I find that sad. I see people who spent their careers fighting for honesty and ethics in government meekly spouting Trump's ever-changing defense/lie of the day. I see people who spent their careers trying to ensure that the government lived within it's means and did not run huge deficits meekly voting to balloon the deficit. I see people who spent their careers fighting the evil ideologies around the world and promoting truth, morality, ethics, and Rule of Law now spewing Putin's talking points. 

The decline of the Republican party is a hard thing to watch. I see Senators like Burr, Portman, Alexander, Sasse. Romney, and more being silent when they have a duty to speak. I see Grassley, a life-long advocate for a whistle-blower law demanding that it be suspended. I see Cruz (NOT a favourite!) defending Trump's nonsense after he had his own father accused of being involved in the JFK shooting!

I could go on. And on. And on. And on.

The Republican party desperately needs to get it's Mojo back.

I look at Trump and come back to something that I have posted several times; what I call the Trump Test. And, by the way, I have never had an answer...

Can anyone name a person, other than perhaps Niki Haley, who has been associated with Trump and had their reputation enhanced for the effort? A single person? One? If you can't name a person whose reputation has been enhanced for their work/association with Trump, then that speaks volumes.

I have said it before and (sadly) need to say it again;

Donald Trump is an ever-expanding cloud of toxic waste that defiles everything it touches.

Please Americans (Republicans and Democrats alike), get rid of this odious cancer!

Oh, and rejoin the Paris Accords.

4 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

And so it begins...

I think that I view this situation a bit different than others; while Trump is officially on trial, I view it as the Republican Party as being on trial. Trump is what he is, I think most knew what he is and there isn't much more to say about it.

The Republican party, on the other hand, was something different, something much better. While not perfect (nothing is actually perfect), it stood for numerous principles that mattered; ethics in government, a free-market economy, a strong judicial system, morality in public affairs, a promotion of Rights and Freedoms abroad, the Rule of Law, efficient and effective government that lived within it's means, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

I don't recognize the Republican party in Trump's America, and I find that sad. I see people who spent their careers fighting for honesty and ethics in government meekly spouting Trump's ever-changing defense/lie of the day. I see people who spent their careers trying to ensure that the government lived within it's means and did not run huge deficits meekly voting to balloon the deficit. I see people who spent their careers fighting the evil ideologies around the world and promoting truth, morality, ethics, and Rule of Law now spewing Putin's talking points. 

The decline of the Republican party is a hard thing to watch. I see Senators like Burr, Portman, Alexander, Sasse. Romney, and more being silent when they have a duty to speak. i see Grassley, a life-long advocate for a whistle=blower law demanding that it be suspended. I see Cruz (NOT a favourite!) defending Trump's nonsense after he had his own father accused of being involved in the JFK shooting!

I could go on. And on. And on. And on.

I look at Trump and come back to something that I have posted several times; what I call the Trump Test. And, by the way, I have never had an answer... Can anyone name a person, other than perhaps Niki Haley, who has been associated with Trump and had their reputation enhanced for the effort? A single person? One? If you can't name a person whose reputation has been enhanced for their work/association with Trump, then that speaks volumes.

I have said it before and (sadly) need to say it again;

Donald Trump is an ever-expanding cloud of toxic waste that defiles everything it touches.

Please Americans, get rid of this thing! Oh, and rejoin the Paris Accords.

Well said ,indeed it is sad i to see what has happened to the Republican party:sad:

3 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Well said ,indeed it is sad i to see what has happened to the Republican party:sad:

I remember when the dems weren't a bunch of raving lunatics as well. I have heard the same stuff from the dems for decades. They said it when it was Reagan, then Bush Senior, then W.  Although when they were president or still alive they were all considered the great satan at the time.

Just now, Kelsall said:

A lot of effort on a nothing burger and that effort could have been spent on more productive things. Doomed to fail.  Pelosi doesn't have the votes.

I think it fails in the senate and that much is obvious. Where are you getting the info that makes you think there are not enough votes? You can use a conservative source if you want. I am just not that certain this doesn't pass the house.

If the source is banned here by the powers that by just give me general info.

7 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

I think it fails in the senate and that much is obvious. Where are you getting the info that makes you think there are not enough votes? You can use a conservative source if you want. I am just not that certain this doesn't pass the house.

If the source is banned here by the powers that by just give me general info.

PM'd you

41 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Take a look at swing state polls. Also look at favorability over all and not just impeachment. Nation wide polls become meaningless because California and NY etc are already priced in as dem wins. The writing is on the wall.

A trump supporter quoting polls, how ironic.

45 minutes ago, sirineou said:

IMO anyone who does not believe he did what he is accused in the articles of impeachment has a tenuous grasp on reality. Players are watching to see what the new rules of the game are, if this behaviour is  allowed, don't think they will not notice. 

This will not be problematic only for Democrats, if history is an indicator sooner or later they will also be in power. and there are just as many players within the democratic party as there are in the republican

This is not a game, Americans need to tread carefully, and try to keep the players at check as much as possible.

What happened to America first??

I'm sure most people believe that Trump made a phone call and maybe tweeted some things.  As far as new rules of the game, you can be assured that the next Democrat president, if and when, will be impeached shortly after inauguration. Just like Trump, it will not really matter why. A report here, phone call there.  Such will be the legacy of the Democratic party.

54 minutes ago, Tug said:

What about nothing getting done because of all this!  Is there a poll for that?  Is there a poll for how Americans are sick of nothing getting done in Congress? So they will push a few things through ( maybe ) in the next two weeks. Really the polls you seem to love are full of it. They don’t measure reality. They just make you and some others temporarily happy. Speak to real Americans and talk to them  about how they truly feel. 

Samui as always so well written I’m in total agreement with you it’s devestating to see what’s become of the republicans crying dick I’m well aware trump eked out a win with 70,000 votes spread across three states now he’s probably not running against a unpopular woman he has also done grevious damage to the farming industry with his failed  trade war people see him for what he is a mentally ill weak little man he’s not good for the country 

11 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

What about nothing getting done because of all this!  Is there a poll for that?  Is there a poll for how Americans are sick of nothing getting done in Congress? So they will push a few things through ( maybe ) in the next two weeks. Really the polls you seem to love are full of it. They don’t measure reality. They just make you and some others temporarily happy. Speak to real Americans and talk to them  about how they truly feel. 

Congress is in many cases waiting for Senate to approve laws. But apparently they did not have time yet due to impeachment hearings. Strange, how have they been involved so far?

6 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Congress is in many cases waiting for Senate to approve laws. But apparently they did not have time yet due to impeachment hearings. Strange, how have they been involved so far?

They have been busy confirming judges while the house has been caught in impeachment decoys.

1 hour ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I view it as the Republican Party as being on trial. Trump is what he is, I think most knew what he is and there isn't much more to say about it.

The Republican party, on the other hand, was something different, something much better. While not perfect (nothing is actually perfect), it stood for numerous principles that mattered;

If by this you mean the Dem party is any better you must be kidding

Because to be honest the Dem Party has sunk to all new lows in previous years

The kind of behavior we would never want our children to mimic

Starting with the tantrums that earned them the snowflake nickname to all the so called investigations etc etc etc

Look at the photo in the OP not one besides the speaker can even raise their eyes

Same as any lying child.

Same in the video still shot ( I am not about to watch it)

Washington in general is a lost cause now both right & left wings of a dying bird

1 hour ago, Cryingdick said:

Add Illinois to that list already priced in as dem wins.

1 hour ago, Cryingdick said:

The polls are becoming problematic for the dems in the battleground states. It seems they can not grasp that the election is pretty much down to a handful of states. Speaking of which Trump is having a rally in PA tonight. 

Gee, would hate for politicians to do the right thing instead of worrying about their jobs...

Archived