Shoes Off.

gennisis

I know nothing of the history of this practice but I'm happy that it exists.

Here in Australia, (most) Thais remove footwear before entering their own homes and the homes of others. Not only does it save carpets etc. from getting dirty but it is much more comfortable to walk shoe less inside the house.

As a result, the practice is catching on with many Australians too.

Regular pedicures are now a must.

Not just Thailand. You remove your shoes when going into homes in Hong Kong, too (& I assume many other Asian countries). I think it's a very sensible & clean idea. Having been in Asia for 13 years, I find it disgusting people wearing shoes inside UK homes, whenever I go back there. Just think of all that dirt & carpets aren't nearly as easy to clean as tiles or wood!

Not just Thailand. You remove your shoes when going into homes in Hong Kong, too (& I assume many other Asian countries). I think it's a very sensible & clean idea. Having been in Asia for 13 years, I find it disgusting people wearing shoes inside UK homes, whenever I go back there. Just think of all that dirt & carpets aren't nearly as easy to clean as tiles or wood!

I agree wholeheartedly. I visited my parents in the UK last year, I couldn't believe that they tolerated all and sundry trampling all manner of dirt into their carpets with outside shoes. They had a party and folk were going up to the bathroom with shoes on, how disgusting is that?....you take a shower next morning, step out onto the bathroom floor and get half a street's worth of grime on the soles of your bare feet, nice. :o

In Norway you would probably be executed at dawn if you entered somebodys home with your shoes on. A crime only second to failure to accept your hosts offer of a cup of black coffee is more serious. :D

So removing my shoes at the entrance is natural to me. Still a bit shocked when I have non-scandihooligan friends over and they trample in with their shoes on.

So removing my shoes inside is not a problem at all for me. Besides, I to much enjoy my life. Tilac would probably rip my face off if I entered her well manicured floors wearing shoes :o

As in Norway, removing your shoes when entering a private house is common practice in Sweden too. Think about it. You know it makes sense.

Easy to do, better for your feet, and less cleaning to do for the proprietor of the house.

Although in Sweden, it does not extend to official buildings like government offices, shops, etc. Just private homes.

Think it's common courtesy in many countries to remove the shoes before entering a home, the main exception is all Anglo Saxon countries.

Was watching Seinfeld the other day and there were two of the stars with their street shoes on, sitting in the sofa with their feet pulled up in the sofa. How gross is that? no wonder many Thais think farangs are dirty.