English Teacher's Salaries in Bangkok

Thainess

5 hours ago, Raymonddiaz said:

I meant no minimum salary to be able to have an extension of stay at the immigration office...

If you are married (extension) and teaching you must have income of 40k thb per month. Technically you could mix salary and income abroad but I think the school would not like that. Income method very unstable. Further if you had a problem which many do it would put your WP into jeopardy as well.

Teachers worth a half a damn are making 40k. I was making that second year in and that was six years ago. Many schools will pay new teachers in BKK 38-42.5 first year if desperate.

Otherwise you're on a B visa.

Myself, I just have always had the 400k (800k) in the bank.

It's the absolute best way to be employed. Something just entirely pisses you off you can give notice and walk. Go find a job the next day legally.

Edited by Number 6
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Absolutely dire, whorish way to make money.

Orange shirt, props and toys. Teaching fat little Chinese boys online. It's not teaching. It's entertainment.

Agreed, and for some reason every scumbag and his boyfriend are recruiting for these fly by nights.  Many are writing positive reviews to get a 150 THB bonus...if and when they do get their first check.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, moontang said:

Agreed, and for some reason every scumbag and his boyfriend are recruiting for these fly by nights.  Many are writing positive reviews to get a 150 THB bonus...if and when they do get their first check.

It detracts from the teachers responsibilities of lesson planning and preparation as well. Unless the teacher actually holds a full licence from home country I've zero respect for teachers that do this in spare hours. They're always leaving early, sneaking out whether to teach, prepare or just rest up. Their their Thai school gets cheated. Nevertheless, their entire ability to be in country if B Visa is the school.

• Haha 1

I know a few - around 10 or so - who teach at OBEC regulated public schools in the greater Bangkok area... 

each of them are fully TCT licensed (holding a permanent 5-yr license, hold a degree in education or a related field and are citizens of “native speaking” countries) and now have a minimum of 4 years in-class teaching experience in Thailand... each makes a fixed monthly salary of at least B50,000.. a few earn a touch more.. no one over B65,000.. most do (of their own choice) side work tutoring or other related jobs on the side which adds a few Ks into the mix... so at the end of the month, they’re taking in gross around maybe B55k to as much as B65k (again gross before minimal taxes, SSF and the like)

I DO however think there’s a LOT of range in terms of who gets paid what and where and even why.  While I don’t know any non-natives on a close personal level, I have heard (albeit second hand) that the salary scale can be radically different.. 

so I think who you are, where you’re teaching and other factors play a HUGE role in determining your pay.  Again- my opinion based on the limited people I know first hand.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2019 at 11:06 AM, Cats4ever said:

I am sure there are good English teachers about; there are some shockers also. I have met some with broad northern english accents, germans with a solid accent and more. Cambodia has been much more successful in spreading reasonable english, particularly when you consider they were a French colony and the horrors of Pol Pot.

What has accent got to do with being a good teacher or not? absolutely nothing. And it doesn't hurt students to be exposed to various accents because that is what we have in the world. I remember one International school I worked in, they had a Welshman teaching English, I couldn't understand what he was saying most of the time, but the children knew, we had 63 Foreign teachers at that place with 63 different accents and the students managed to understand them just fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 11:17 AM, Happy Grumpy said:

I know 2 English teachers.

Paid hourly at around 750thb p/h, both teach English online for 75-85k per month.

Don't need to leave their living rooms, no dealing with Thais. Who on Earth would trundle off in the heat to some Thai school to dance around like a monkey for 40 or 50k. ????

Maybe people who want to work legally over here and pay their taxes.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

Maybe people who want to work legally over here and pay their taxes.

No problem for them to pay Thai income tax, and they are working legally. ????

They just need to go to the tax office, get a TIN number, then pay their Thai income tax. No work-permit is required to pay Thai income tax on earnings here, because not all incomes come from work that falls under Thai Labor Law. Such as remote employment for non-Thai companies, stock trading, property....

You're welcome. ????

Edited by Happy Grumpy

On 12/17/2019 at 6:59 AM, kingstonkid said:

No one is forcing you to be here.  Even 35 k is a good salary by Thai standards and is quite liveable even in Bangkok

For a single man maybe. But eating out daily can be pretty expensive.

Then a few beers on the weekends where you aren't sitting in front of a 7 Eleven....

But once you have a wife and kids, 35 k is nothing. 

15 years ago it was good money, unfortunately did salaries not increase.

Edited by Isaanbiker

On 12/17/2019 at 1:28 PM, Happy Grumpy said:

They don't need one as they're working remotely. Just go to one of the 1000's of co-working spaces around Thailand.

Fully legal to do, as already explained by immigration police. ???? 

“It turns out that the reason for the raid wasn’t because we were working online, it was because they thought Punspace was illegally hiring western staff without work permits. They did not know the concept of a co-working space or why we would pay to use an office,” he said on his blog.

The owners of Punspace were helpful, he added, bringing lunch for those affected and giving them a free month’s use of the facilities.

Chiang Mai immigration officials said at a press conference in August that “digital nomads” – people who can work remotely from anywhere – would be able to do so on a tourist visa.

https://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/citynews/general/immigration-officers-raid-popular-co-working-space/

I would be more inclined in that situation to be teaching for the WORK PERMIT and VISA and not simply because I could work remotely. Isn't that why most people took the poorly paid teaching gigs in the first place?

40 minutes ago, Nakmuay887 said:

I would be more inclined in that situation to be teaching for the WORK PERMIT and VISA and not simply because I could work remotely. Isn't that why most people took the poorly paid teaching gigs in the first place?

He is just quoting a person who has nothing to do with the labor law. Has been declared as not valid hundreds of times but these digital nomads live in their own fantasy world and know nothing about the actual labor law or just tend to ignore it. On a tourist visa it says NOT ALLOWED TO WORK but they are coming up with all sorts of BS why it should affect them.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

He is just quoting a person who has nothing to do with the labor law. Has been declared as not valid hundreds of times but these digital nomads live in their own fantasy world and know nothing about the actual labor law or just tend to ignore it. On a tourist visa it says NOT ALLOWED TO WORK but they are coming up with all sorts of BS why it should affect them.

Isn't it absolutely amazing just how angry some people get, over the young guys that breeze on in and legally work remotely from one of the thousands of co-working spaces set up for them, or wherever they live.  ????

Absolutely furious about it. ????

I don't like the fact that I'm now listed as being the OP of this topic. I wasn't the OP here! I simply replied to it. Then I think the OP must have deleted his first post, and now I become the OP? That's simply not right. I feel violated.