Thaivisa exclusive: Indian entertainment moguls plan to open "Nana Plaza" style Go-Go venue in Pattaya

webfact

My favourite is The Drunken Duck on LK Metro. Happy Hour till midnight - think beer is 65 baht - my tipple is Sang Som Soda at only 35 baht a shot. Still not as cheap as my local in Jomtien at 60 Baht a double - but travel broadens the mind ! 5555

On 1/18/2020 at 9:06 AM, jacko45k said:

Not only, quite a few simply offer cheaper beers and seem to have sucked the majority of Western visitors in. While Soi 7. and 8 , and Walking St are bereft of them, they are packed in around LKM and Buakhao. 

I have seen cheap beer on offer, but not with live music, sport on TV's, and staff not there simply to be bar fined.

Can you name a bar in Central Pattaya, other than Billabong and Triangle, offering 65 baht beers, with live music, sport on TV, and staff that serve you, without demanding you buy them a drink?

Edited by Leaver

4 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I have seen cheap beer on offer, but not with live music, sport on TV's, and staff not there simply to be bar fined.

Can you name a bar in Central Pattaya, other than Billabong and Triangle, offering 65 baht beers, with live music, sport on TV, and staff that serve you, without demand you buy them a drink?

Well actually Billabong and Triangle don't offer all of that... plenty of bars offering 65 baht beers is more the point. Live music is not obligatory, sports on TV is commonplace. More generally, I feel sure it's the lower prices taking the falangs to this area. The Walking St, 100baht + beer bars, and even a special on a bottle of beer is 90+ in GGBs. The fact that even in LKM, crowded out and about, no seats to be found, unless you go into a GGB. 

14 hours ago, androokery said:

I totally agree. So much untapped potential, such great promise???? Instead of a NEP2 we could have a PAC (Pattaya Avenue Complex)

We mustn't forget what purpose The Avenue was originally designed and built for.  To that regard, The Avenue has already gone broke, so it's going to take a complete change of use to make it profitable, and in the current economic climate, I don't see selling alcohol and sex being able to do that. 

in order to be successful, The Avenue would basically have to steal customers from from just about every bar in Central Pattaya. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Well actually Billabong and Triangle don't offer all of that... plenty of bars offering 65 baht beers is more the point. Live music is not obligatory, sports on TV is commonplace. More generally, I feel sure it's the lower prices taking the falangs to this area. The Walking St, 100baht + beer bars, and even a special on a bottle of beer is 90+ in GGBs. The fact that even in LKM, crowded out and about, no seats to be found, unless you go into a GGB. 

Are you saying, that if there was no band playing music at Billabong and Triangle, and no sport on the TV's at these two bars, and they didn't have pretty girls working in the sex trade, they would still be successful? 

I don't think so. 

Edited by Leaver

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

Are you saying, that if there was no band playing music at Billabong and Triangle, and no sport on the TV's at these two bars, and they didn't have pretty girls working in the sex trade, they would still be successful? 

I don't think so. 

No, I say they are not offering 65 baht beers. 

Just now, jacko45k said:

No, I say they are not offering 65 baht beers. 

130 baht for 2 beers, right?

Yes, I get the argument that's not exactly 65 baht a beer, because you have to pay 130 baht for the first beer, but most guys here go to these bars for a while, not just to call in for one beer. 

6 minutes ago, Leaver said:

130 baht for 2 beers, right?

Yes, I get the argument that's not exactly 65 baht a beer, because you have to pay 130 baht for the first beer, but most guys here go to these bars for a while, not just to call in for one beer. 

I thought I paid 140 last time....  and yes I don't see 2 for one the way they present it (one is much more). But as I stated last post but one.... oh never mind. 

Edited by jacko45k

Just now, Leaver said:

Not wrong.

I see a lot of guys settled in for the show. 

I do not see the entry and exit being used every 30 minutes by people coming in, drinking their two beers, and leaving. 

I do. Also do you see people ensuring that the number of beers they have are multiples of 2? 1, 3, 5 beers, all a rip off.

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I thought I paid 140 last time....  and yes I don't see 2 for one the way they present it (one is much more). But as I stated last post but one.... oh never mind. 

If I ran a poll and asked, how many beers would you have on a night out, averaged, and how many establishments would you go into, to drink those beers, averaged, do you think it would really equal out to one beer per establishment?

I don't think so. 

Unless there is something really wrong with the bar, like a bar I went into on Soi 6 recently, the music was that loud that I struggled to order a drink, so I just walked out, the maths equation above would see people have more than one beer in each establishment, so I don't know what the big problem is with the 2 for 1 business model, but happy to hear the argument against it.

5 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

I do. Also do you see people ensuring that the number of beers they have are multiples of 2? 1, 3, 5 beers, all a rip off.

Your observations are not mine, particularly with the Triangle Bar.

I don't see the customers that walked 30 mins ago, leaving. 

Many times in Triangle I have seen tables reserved. 

There's more of a turnover in Billabong because it's right in the middle of so many other options that mainly offer sex.  Just on this point, I have seen a lot of guys with their bar fined girls for long time in Billabong partying.  

13 minutes ago, Leaver said:

maths equation above would see people have more than one beer in each establishment, so I don't know what the big problem is with the 2 for 1 business model, but happy to hear the argument against it.

I would stay away from the maths argument if I was you, more than one isn't always an even number you know! And the 'for one' option doesn't even exist. Your original inclusion of 65 baht beers does not exist in either establishment you mentioned. Nearby it does, although these would be simply drinking places. 

If all patrons were having more than one beer, I simply fail to see the point of the 2 for 1 arrangement, other than saving the cashier effort. 

Edited by jacko45k

9 minutes ago, Leaver said:

If I ran a poll and asked, how many beers would you have on a night out, averaged, and how many establishments would you go into, to drink those beers, averaged, do you think it would really equal out to one beer per establishment?

I don't think so. 

Unless there is something really wrong with the bar, like a bar I went into on Soi 6 recently, the music was that loud that I struggled to order a drink, so I just walked out, the maths equation above would see people have more than one beer in each establishment, so I don't know what the big problem is with the 2 for 1 business model, but happy to hear the argument against it.

Two arguments:

It's only fair to the customer if he drinks beers in multiples of 2.

What incentive is it to the customer when the price of 2 beers is double the price of one beer in a nearby establishment?

Edited by DannyCarlton

23 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I don't think so. 

Are you saying that your large floor area bar with live music (that had better be good) and large sports screen TV is going to be sustainable - without sexy available ladies there?  Edit: It would only be successful if it included a freelancer venue.

Edited by morrobay
add

10 minutes ago, morrobay said:

Are you saying that your large floor area bar with live music (that had better be good) and large sports screen TV is going to be sustainable - without sexy available ladies there?  

Triangle Bar is, but I would say their clientele is mainly expats, most of whom would have a partner, and not really into mongering these days.

19 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Two arguments:

It's only fair to the customer if he drinks beers in multiples of 2.

What incentive is it to the customer when the price of 2 beers is double the price of one beer in a nearby establishment?

Even if a customer didn't like either of these bars, it's no big deal drinking the second beer and leaving.

Both bars are easily seen from the street, so most people would know if the bar appeals to them, or not, before setting foot in the place, plus, there's 2 for 1 signage everywhere. 

24 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I would stay away from the maths argument if I was you, more than one isn't always an even number you know! And the 'for one' option doesn't even exist. Your original inclusion of 65 baht beers does not exist in either establishment you mentioned. Nearby it does, although these would be simply drinking places. 

If all patrons were having more than one beer, I simply fail to see the point of the 2 for 1 arrangement, other than saving the cashier effort. 

It's all about the maths argument for these establishments.

Their margins are so small per sale, they need a high turnover of sales, and that means customers buying two beers, minimum.

You conveniently left out the live entertainment and sport on TV's.  You have still not named another bar in the area offering these, and having 65 or 70 baht beers.   

• Like 1

Just now, Leaver said:

Even if a customer didn't like either of these bars, it's no big deal drinking the second beer and leaving.

Both bars are easily seen from the street, so most people would know if the bar appeals to them, or not, before setting foot in the place, plus, there's 2 for 1 signage everywhere. 

In Triangle, there's NO 2 for 1 signage apart from a vague reference on the bar towels on the tables. Who reads bar towels before they order a drink?

You still haven't answered the question, "What if you want 3, 5 beers?"

1 minute ago, DannyCarlton said:

In Triangle, there's NO 2 for 1 signage apart from a vague reference on the bar towels on the tables. Who reads bar towels before they order a drink?

You still haven't answered the question, "What if you want 3, 5 beers?"

Like I said, Triangle is mainly for expats, and they know it's 2 for 1.  I accept the signage there is not as noticeable as Billabong.

I, and I suggest, many others, don't go to these bars for 3 or 5 beers.  I'll call in and have two beers, or in the case of Billabong, stay for a couple of sets of the band, because they are good, and have 4 or maybe 6. 

If it's such a bad business model, where are they busy?  It seems to attract more customers than it turns away.     

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Like I said, Triangle is mainly for expats, and they know it's 2 for 1.  I accept the signage there is not as noticeable as Billabong.

I, and I suggest, many others, don't go to these bars for 3 or 5 beers.  I'll call in and have two beers, or in the case of Billabong, stay for a couple of sets of the band, because they are good, and have 4 or maybe 6. 

If it's such a bad business model, where are they busy?  It seems to attract more customers than it turns away.     

Billabong is busy because it's the place for meeting freelancers.

Triangle, I really don't know. Maybe ideal location for monging on Amon across the road? Certainly not the band, who only perform for a small percentage of the time that they are open and are loud and awful. Disagree that the customer base is mainly expats.

23 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Billabong is busy because it's the place for meeting freelancers.

Triangle, I really don't know. Maybe ideal location for monging on Amon across the road? Certainly not the band, who only perform for a small percentage of the time that they are open and are loud and awful. Disagree that the customer base is mainly expats.

The freelancers in Billabong a not pretty.  Many guys bar fine a girl from somewhere else and go to Billabong to party.

Every time I have gone into Triangle, I see many of the same faces.  I doubt they holiday to Thailand every couple of weeks.  Indeed, I will meet up with other expats in Triangle, before going our separate ways, or I leave them there and head off to LK. 

The band in Billabong is better than the band in Triangle, but they are not awful as you say. 

Edited by Leaver

7 hours ago, Leaver said:

It's all about the maths argument for these establishments.

Their margins are so small per sale, they need a high turnover of sales, and that means customers buying two beers, minimum.

You conveniently left out the live entertainment and sport on TV's.  You have still not named another bar in the area offering these, and having 65 or 70 baht beers.   

And you have conveniently not mentioned any, never mind another. Isn't there a new place on Soi Honey, and one opposite Champagne on LK Metro?  I don't mind paying a few baht more....

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

And you have conveniently not mentioned any, never mind another. Isn't there a new place on Soi Honey, and one opposite Champagne on LK Metro?  I don't mind paying a few baht more....

I can't mention any, because there are no bars around that area offering live music, with the sport of TV's, normal staff, and 65 baht beers. 

Last time I took a stroll down Soi Honey, I didn't see any bars with live music.  If there is a bar on that Soi now offering live music, what is its name, I will check it out. 

I also don't mind paying more for a beer.  I go to Billabong for the band, not the 2 for 1.  If that band stopped playing there, I probably would stop going there.

• 1 month later...
47 minutes ago, Jajazazajaja said:

Sat in the Avenue now. No sign of any bar area being constructed. In fact it looks identical to how it did in December. 

and hopefully it stays that way, I love it

It's not the end of March yet.  They have 2 more weeks for completion.  ????

• Haha 2