Four day overstay, after second extention question.

Hey guys, we messed up on our flight booking before starting the trip and didnt realize it would land four days after our visa extention expires to go home. With my understanding getting caught is much harsher nowadays. We have our return flight of course and are awaiting it in Bangkok. In this scenario is it best just to wait and pay the fine at the airport, or to go to immigration? I do not want to be arrested or banned from the country as I love this country with all my heart. What is the likelyhood of getting caught? Worries me, would like to clear up the issue to be legal the next four days if possible before flying out. I have the 2,000 baht for the fine waiting, just don't want it to turn into anything more. Thanks! ????

Edited by Traveler808
Misspelling
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Traveler808 said:

Worries me, would like to clear up the issue to be legal the next four days if possible before flying out. I have the 2,000 baht for the fine waiting, just don't want it to turn into anything more. Thanks! ????

It’s best to stay legal if you can. Go to immigration and they will give you an extra 7 days — from when your current stay ends — to leave the country.

You will need to pay 1,900 baht plus 500 baht for any days overstayed at the time you apply.

• Like 2

OP, keep in mind that while short overstays are regarded as minor issue, it can impact. You may never want to obtain elite visa but as the saying goes things can change. My understanding is that EV is not too happy with even shortish overstays. 

Mainly type that for members thinking overstay in minor and will not impact you.

I would never overstay on principle. Recently have considered an EV even while very comfortable doing extensions based on retirement.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, keep in mind that while short overstays are regarded as minor issue, it can impact. You may never want to obtain elite visa but as the saying goes things can change. My understanding is that EV is not too happy with even shortish overstays. 

Mainly type that for members thinking overstay in minor and will not impact you.

I would never overstay on principle. Recently have considered an EV even while very comfortable doing extensions based on retirement.

Indeed, although a short overstay may be considered a minor thing, it can have serious consequences.

E.g. when considering to dump your OA - retirement Visa for reason of the BS health-insurance, be aware that applications for a 90-days Non Imm O - retirement Visa at your local IO are denied if you have overstayed.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

E.g. when considering to dump your OA - retirement Visa for reason of the BS health-insurance, be aware that applications for a 90-days Non Imm O - retirement Visa at your local IO are denied if you have overstayed.

There is no such rule. The rules only say if you are on an overstay you cannot apply for the visa. Not sure why they put that in the requirements since it states you have to have at least 15 days remaining on your entry to apply. Perhaps a carry over from when 15 days was not required.

• Thanks 1

Its telling  that people are suggesting to buy new flights  500$ easy for me.  Change 300$ on delta plus difference in airfare.    I do wish  these airlines  had a number of days  trip is in country  when booking flights.  It's not easy counting days of a trip but four days overstay is kind of a big miscalculation but I did it my 2nd trip in 16.  

If you're staying somewhere who is sending in your tm30 every night . I would worry about immigration with their current electronic system of checks and balances.    Wasting 2/3 of a vacation day to get an extension  is no fun.  Welcome to Thailand  4.0

• Like 1

It used to be harmless but nowadays it is quite a risk if you get caught. You are also likely to miss your already booked flight in that case.
I guess it was a few months back in the news that some were arrested on just a few days overstay at their hotel too.

Would only do it myself if staying at a friends place without TM30 report, else not worth the risk anymore.

in all seriousness, short overstays like that is only a problem for people abusing tourist visas to stay long term in the country, in that case they will instantly use the excuse of overstaying previously to deny you entry the next time you try to get in.

for regular tourist who come once a year or so I sincerely doubt this could be an issue at all, could be wrong though ...

Edited by freeman01