Top Republican calls on U.S. Senate to correct 'toxic' impeachment case

webfact

8 hours ago, marf said:

You do know that in the last 60 years, the Democrats have tried impeachment after the election of every president they didn't like - i.e. all the republican ones...

Well, almost correct. Gerald Ford is the only one they didn't go after. 

3 minutes ago, PhonThong said:

Not really. The process isn't finished until the articles for impeachment are delivered to the Senate. If Pelosi insist on holding on to them, then McConnell has the right to call for a mistrial. 

No, thats when the trial starts.

Its like charging a person and then not presenting the indictment. The person is still charged.

Congress has sole authority to impeach. They did.

There are so very few honorable Republicans left anymore.  Certainly pretty darn few still serving in the Congress.  Here's one former Senator who still has some moral backbone....

[“If there ever was a time to put country over party, it is now,” Flake concluded the op-ed. “And by putting country over party, you might just save the Grand Old Party before it’s too late.”] 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/jeff-flake-op-ed-trump-impeachment-063332759.html?.tsrc=jtc_news_index

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Catoholic said:

and Nancy Pelosi will go down in history as the most incompetent speaker of the house in American history... lol ... how dare you!!! lol

So.... I spent a few minutes running this up and down the flagpole... and the flagpole said bull poop.... pelosi is gaining in popularity from lows last decade and currently has better approval ratings than past republican speakers of ill repute.

lol... republicans of ill repute... I’m sorry, that was called for

Edited by jany123

18 minutes ago, Tounge Thaied said:

When the Dems stall this, it only gets worse for them. The fact is, this Ukraine thing goes way back. The Obama whitehouse has some explaining to do. If the republicans had any balls, they would try this case accordingly in the Senate. 

You quoting giuliani? And you believe it? How strange. Even trump supporters in the whitehouse think hes a loon.

To put it in terms you umderstand. Fake news.

Edited by Sujo
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sujo said:

You quoting giuliani? And you believe it? How strange. Even trump supporters in the whitehouse think hes a loon.

This is the problem with any debate. Failure to look at real evidence. I am not a fan of Beck or Guliani. But I do believe he has some credible evidence or he wouldn't be sticking his neck out like he is. I admit, I have not read the "documents" in question, nor will I. But I do remain objective and everyone appears to have been caught with their hands in the cookie jar on this Ukraine thing. Take a look at Beck's analysis on the connections in the Ukraine (seperate youtube vid he has) it goes on like a real mafia job. 

Edited by Tounge Thaied
Spelling errors add a link
  • Like 2

On 12/19/2019 at 9:16 PM, samran said:

Donald could indeed stand in 5th Avenue, shoot someone live on TV, and his followers would somehow make it all Hillary’s fault. 

On the other hand, if on the main street of, let's say, Baton Rouge Louisiana, he shot a white Baptist with an IQ of 86 and a name like Billy Bob, that would be a game changer.  Or paid for an abortion for one of his girlfriends...

3 hours ago, Tounge Thaied said:

This is the problem with any debate. Failure to look at real evidence. I am not a fan of Beck or Guliani. But I do believe he has some credible evidence or he wouldn't be sticking his neck out like he is. I admit, I have not read the "documents" in question, nor will I. But I do remain objective and everyone appears to have been caught with their hands in the cookie jar on this Ukraine thing. Take a look at Beck's analysis on the connections in the Ukraine (seperate youtube vid he has) it goes on like a real mafia job. 

There is absolutely zero credible evidence from giuliani. All he has are complaints from people fired for incompetence and being corrupt. Plus a couple of dodgy characters charged with crimes in US.

Its pure fake news for trumps base that knows no better. Even lindsay gtaham has his doubts by inviting giuliano to give evidence but warning him he better be ready to back it up

On 12/21/2019 at 5:10 AM, marf said:

You do know that in the last 60 years, the Democrats have tried impeachment after the election of every president they didn't like - i.e. all the republican ones...

Agreed, but it is not just the Democrats. The Republicans did it to Clinton too when they had the power. This isn't a failing of one particular party, it is a new normal in politics.

I have stated this before, but I will say it again. Filibustering in the Senate used to be an unthinkable act. Sure, it was always possible, but it was viewed as something morally unacceptable. Right up until it wasn't, and today it is simply a tactical ploy to defeat bills, without any moral component at all.

Impeachments are going to be the same way. It is no longer a "stain", as I see the media saying. It is simply political theater, carried out when one side thinks they can get a tactical advantage from it.

Much like the Clinton impeachment, this is going to be a battle of public relations and optics. And much like Clinton, all the signs currently point to Trump's popularity improving because of it. It is a dangerous gamble taken by the Democrats, but as more and more presidents get impeached in the future, I think the rules of this new political tool will start to come into focus.

4 hours ago, Tounge Thaied said:

I had never heard of "Krystal Ball" before, but that girl is pretty much spot on with her analysis of this farce. I hope more people start listening to her message.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tounge Thaied said:

When the Dems stall this, it only gets worse for them. The fact is, this Ukraine thing goes way back. The Obama whitehouse has some explaining to do. If the republicans had any balls, they would try this case accordingly in the Senate. 

Giuliani, lol!

By the way, the Dems don't stall anything. It's the Republicans who control the DOJ, not the Dems. Why is it that Barr did not start an investigation into the Bidens?