5m depositors had less than Bt50 in accounts

rooster59

5m depositors had less than Bt50 in accounts

By THE NATION

800_bf005b7ad2580de.jpg

Atchana Lamsam, right

Almost 5 million Thai depositors have less than Bt50 in their bank accounts, according to a recent joint study by Puey Ungphakorn Institute for Economic Research and Deposit Protection Agency on the savings behaviour of Thais.

The study was based on 80 million bank accounts worth Bt12 trillion as of June 2017.

The Puey Ungphakorn Institute's section head of networking and communication, Atchana Lamsam said it was found that as of June 2017, 56.04 per cent of Thai people had commercial bank’s accounts.

Of the total depositors, half had less than Bt3,142 in their accounts.

Also, 32.8 per cent of the total or 12.2 million had an account balance less than Bt500 each, while 4.7 million had less than Bt50.

Only 0.2 per cent of total depositors had over Bt10 million in their accounts.

The study also found that bank customers with deposits of more than Bt3 million each, accounted for 10 per cent of the total.

However, their combined deposits account for 93 per cent of the total of Bt12 trillion in the Thai banking system.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30379682

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-12-21
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, nev said:

I am surprised they still have 50baht in their accounts, I left 500baht in a bangkok bank account and year later went to look and it was all gone. 

50baht a month account keeping fee apparently ????

I think Bangkok Bank charges 20 baht a month for the privilege of having a account... 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ventenio said:

sometimes I wonder what kind of person I would be if I was born in Thailand.  I don't know if my personality is hardwired, probably not.  If it is, I would have gone to America at the age of 18 and came back to Thailand at 50.  But then what if then came back and everyone I knew here was poor?  

yea, i see people constantly stressing over 20 baht and i'm sure they have no idea to get out of this poverty well.  education is the absolute basic necessity...  you need the will.  that means going to where the money is.  that's Bangkok.  

Or Pattaya or Phuket if your a girl.

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

If you stop me in the street and turn my pockets out, you'd be unlikely to find more than 20-100bht.

I See your married then! Lol now back in the UK and for 9 months I've had no cash in my wallet. Everything is swipe and pay now. Oh I have a wife and her purse is never empty. Lol

• Like 1

Who the <deleted> let them look into peoples accounts?Why are the publishing peoples data on public forums?Why are they allowed to publish private data on public forums?Why is it now everybody's business what people have in the bank accounts?Do we now just take it for granted that this kind of thing is acceptable?What have I got to hide?Well that's certainly nobody's bloody business but mine!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

And yet I am sure many of those broke Thais still manage to go to expensive clubs, sit there around their booked table in their cool black clothes with their friends, all looking at their phones,  with their personal bottles, all trying to look rich, take highly beatified pics for instagram doing the V sign pose and the gang hands...and then go back to their single room slum in a drab Bangkok suburb.

Even amongst the expats Ive noticed a tendency to talk big but be in reality earning what in my mind is next to nothing and living in squalor. Im sure they mostly have more than 50 baht in their accounts...but probably not much more.

Edited by uncleeagle
  • Confused 1

Why would they, bank fees are ridiculous.  Atm fees, account fees, reciever fees, deposit fees, transfer fees. They even charge you for an atm card, one bank charged 500baht we asked.

Last bank I signed up with in Australia gave me 100aud (2000baht) and free atm cards and pays for atm fees local and international.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

No surprise there, most locals lives on hand to mouth daily If you'll stop an average Thai Joe in the street and turns their pockets inside out all that you will find would be some coins and no more than a 20-100 baht...

I used to wonder why small village stores sell fuel in half liter servings. I know now. Many riders have so little money that's all they can afford. They'll buy a half liter, run the bike 'til it's dry then push it to the next store.