Best way to change from OA to O in Chiang Mai

I am amongst the unlucky ones who have been extending an OA visa (based on retirement) for several years.  In spite of having outstanding health insurance from the USA (Blue Cross/Blue Shield) which fully covers me without limit in Thailand, it appears that I will need to change to an O visa. I am NOT married. 

My current permission to stay runs out in March, 2020, I have no unused reentry permit.  My plan is currently to travel to Mai Sai in early February 2020 and walk across the border and then re-enter on a 30 days visa exempt entry.  Then the following week I will apply for a conversion to an O visa at Chiang Mai IO.  Then at the beginning of May I will apply to extend my permission to stay for one year.  

Further notes: I will use the income method and I have been getting >65 K transfers into my Bangkok since January 2019 (properly labeled).  I live in a house I built on land owned by my adult Thai son, and I have an usufruct on the land with my name on the back of the Chanote.  

My Questions:

1.  Is my plan better (cheaper/faster, less hassle) that getting an O visa in Laos or Viet Nam?

2. Any special requirements for entering on the visa exempt at Mai Sai (cash, on-ward tickets, etc)?

3. What are the current requirements at Chiang Mai for converting a 30 day visa exempt entry into a 90 day NonImm O visa based on retirement?

Any constructive suggestions will be much appreciated!

44 minutes ago, bprhodes said:

My plan is currently to travel to Mai Sai in early February 2020 and walk across the border and then re-enter on a 30 days visa exempt entry.  Then the following week I will apply for a conversion to an O visa at Chiang Mai IO.

Do not wait a week.  Go to Chiang Mai Immigration as soon as possible when you return to Thailand so you will have time to fix any problems that may come up.  Chiang Mai requires that 21 days are remaining on the 30 day entry in order to process a Non-Immigrant O visa. 

1. HCMC does not issue Non-Immigrant O visas based on retirement.  
2. No comment
3. No comment

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

1. Yes

2. No

3. It should be about the same as shown here but CM want 21 days instead of 15. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

You can apply for a 30 day extension if you need more time to get it done.

Hi @ubonjoe

I noticed that the requirements in the link you posted on 3. application for a Non Imm O - retirement Visa,

are almost same as 

https://division1.immigration.go.th/download/1551323081128.pdf

but in this one there is an extra requirement:

8. Rental Agreement between the Applicant and the Landlord, Location map of the house

Which of both links is the correct one?

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

I'm also considering switching from O-A retirement to O retirement. My question is once you get your extension are border runs required every 90 days or 90 day reporting?

If border runs were required then no one would get an "O", you get an O just so you won't have to do border runs

Everyone has to do 90 day reports, even Elite Visa holders, nature of the beast in Thailand  

• Confused 1

53 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

I'm also considering switching from O-A retirement to O retirement. My question is once you get your extension are border runs required every 90 days or 90 day reporting?

You are confusing extensions of stay with visas.

You get a single entry non-o visa and then extend the 90 day entry from it for one year and do 90 day reports.

Leaving every 90 days is only required if you have a multiple entry non-o visa issued by an embassy or consulate.

• Like 1

i currently reside in Thailand on a non immigrant OA visa extension,    i have seen several posts indicating intention to convert from that status to non immigrant O visa.    am i correct that non O visas are reserved for individuals with Thai family members or for volunteers.     since i fall into neither category, assume the non O conversion route is not open to me?    appreciate your clarification....

14 minutes ago, petey123 said:

i currently reside in Thailand on a non immigrant OA visa extension,    i have seen several posts indicating intention to convert from that status to non immigrant O visa.    am i correct that non O visas are reserved for individuals with Thai family members or for volunteers.     since i fall into neither category, assume the non O conversion route is not open to me?    appreciate your clarification....

A non-o visa based upon being 50 or over for retirement can be obtained at some embassies and consulates.

The conversion from a tourist visa or visa exempt entry you mentioned is done at immigration and info has been posted earlier in this topic about it

thank you Ubon Joe.    do you know whether i can apply for the non O "based on being over 50 for retirement" at the Hong Kong consulate, or, alternatively, at the Penang consulate?     also, assuming i can acquire said non O visa, am i able to remain in Thailand a full year without having to leave the country?   thanks again,

1 minute ago, petey123 said:

thank you Ubon Joe.    do you know whether i can apply for the non O "based on being over 50 for retirement" at the Hong Kong consulate, or, alternatively, at the Penang consulate?     also, assuming i can acquire said non O visa, am i able to remain in Thailand a full year without having to leave the country?   thanks again,

Hong Kong no.

Penang yes if you can show 800k baht in a bank and proof of retirement.

You will get a one year extension of the 90 day entry from the non-o visa. No need to leave the country unless you want to.