New Phuket Traffic Police Chief set sights on zero deaths for New Year holidays

rooster59

26 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

How about just a little gentle maiming with death later in hospital ?

That is included in the numbers.

Totally meaningless statement from the guy, but he has to say this.

Edited by stevenl

1 hour ago, legend49 said:

what is checking a drivers licence got to with road behaviour and accidents?

Exactly. Mobile traffic patrol units are seeming non-existant. Mobile, camera and radar equipped patrol units are seemingly non-existant. Proactive traffic enforcement cannot be achieved by stationary police toll takers, manning collection booths which do little to curb on the real-time road traffic violations.

Has anyone ever witnessed a traffic violator being pulled over by a marked patrol vehicle? The driving public would most likely ignore the flashing red lights as it is common for the police pickup trucks to drive around with the red lights flashing as if to announce "We are doing something".

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Benmart said:

<snip>

Has anyone ever witnessed a traffic violator being pulled over by a marked patrol vehicle? The driving public would most likely ignore the flashing red lights as it is common for the police pickup trucks to drive around with the red lights flashing as if to announce "We are doing something".

In recent months I have been surprised (shocked) to see police bikes complete with flashing lights and helmet go pro pulling over violators. I have been here for 24 years in Phuket and I do detect (?) a more pro active traffic policing ..... maybe

• Like 1

Do I think he’ll be successful?  That I don’t know..  but.... I do commend him for at least making what outwardly looks like a genuine effort to tackle the problem.  Could it all be “fake” and just purely a PR thing for him to be saying this?  Sure, that’s a real possibility.

but... at the end of the day, I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt.. but also withhold judgement until I see actions.

and that to me is where most of these efforts get derailed... it’s one thing to have an initiative, goal, campaign or whatever you want to call it... and even IF the campaign is launched with all of the absolute best and genuine intentions unless it gets embraced at the local and lowest level, it’s never going to stand a chance of success.

that's where I think this effort may fall short... I want to see how this translate to the “boots on the ground” folks and what they do, where they do it, how they do it, etc... because in the end, it’s really those folks who will be driving (no pun intended) the results - not the upper leadership

I've long believed (thus my opinion) and said that personal safety in this country isn’t really a paramount forward thought.. it’s just not engrained in the culture — and therefore not something that really permeates daily life - be that driving habits, workplace safety, child care etc... until that aspect changes, I don’t think you’ll really see any meaningful long term changes... I don’t think you can legislate nor “campaign” your way into a safety  mentality...

What Phuket Provincial Police Deputy Commander Col Santat Layangkul does not seem to understand, is that to bring down (preventing them all is an impossibility, and pure PR nonsense)  road deaths, one of the requirements is to have a proactive police force, that cares about public safety. They actually have to get out there and patrol. And pull over people for reckless driving, confiscate the vehicles, and impose massive fines. Will they do this? Of course not. Will they continue to act as local franchisees, where the utmost priority is to collect fines for personal enrichment? Of course. That is what they always have done, and always will do, unless something changes at the very top.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

What Phuket Provincial Police Deputy Commander Col Santat Layangkul does not seem to understand, is that to bring down (preventing them all is an impossibility, and pure PR nonsense)  road deaths, one of the requirements is to have a proactive police force, that cares about public safety. They actually have to get out there and patrol. And pull over people for reckless driving, confiscate the vehicles, and impose massive fines. Will they do this? Of course not. Will they continue to act as local franchisees, where the utmost priority is to collect fines for personal enrichment? Of course. That is what they always have done, and always will do, unless something changes at the very top.

Yes, spot on SM007, and in all of my years here I have never seen anybody pulled over for reckless driving, and I've seen enough of it to last a lifetime.

In addition I have sat at many sets of traffic lights with Thais who are not wearing helmets, and two policemen on a police motorbike pull up alongside and do absolutely nothing about it – – if I've seen that once I've seen it dozens of times.

The sad thing is that even if they did patrol a lot more and pull over reckless drivers, they are still only pushing the proverbial uphill, because so many Thai drivers here have absolutely no idea about road sense, how to use a roundabout, how to overtake and when, and indeed what a pedestrian crossing means (actually saw a couple of people of tourists almost skittled by a crazy motorbike driver the other day as a car had stopped – yes stopped! – To let them cross and the motorbike driver decided to blast on past the stopped car and straight across the pedestrian crossing).

I'm afraid that in the main, the Thai mentality makes it damn near impossible for them to learn anything about safety on the roads. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wish him the best of luck he's going to need it,

I do think lots of accidents could be avoided people being to aggressive,

The other night Im driving home just after 6-30 pm turn left into Sai yuan road,

Loads of bikes have already jumped the red lights,

Just a couple of 100 m up the road becomes narrow and not well lit,

Bikes are coming around from all angles the car infront of me passes 3 people walking

All dressed in black now it's dark and there was a bike on my tail end trying to come

Up the inside of me, he just slammed into these 3 people walking and he come of the bike

I dont know the outcome as I couldn't stop there might been another accident,

The pedestrians shouldn't be dressed in black at night and walking with their backs to the traffic 

The rider of the bike shouldn't be trying to come up the inside especially at that point

Where the road was narrow,

Im guessing that maneuver cost him a lot of money