METV and SETV re-entry permit

Greetings. I am in Thailand on an METV. My first 60 day exit and re-entry is coming soon so I am planning a trip out. My wife is here on an SETV. We are tentatively thinking of traveling overland to Vientiene, crossing over at Nong Khai. Pursuant to this I wonder if I might ask a couple of clarifying questions.

1. As I understand the METV, I do not need a re-entry permit, and should be able to simply cross back into Thailand when we've concluded our stay in Laos. I assume that I should receive my 60 stamp upon re-entry
  2. My wife, on the other hand, I believe must obtain a re-entry permit prior to leaving. I assume that will have to be issued at Chiang Mai immigration. With a re-entry permit in hand, can I assume that there is no difference in coming back to Thailand via a land border and flying in.

I appreciate any and all helpful replies and clarifications.

Many thanks.

Just wondering Joe, his wife with the SETV of 60 days will get only the  few days left  if she enters before the expiration on her original entry with the re-entry permit ?

Let say she is stamped for 2 days on re-entering , she will have to request a 30 day  extension quickly at an Immigration office ?

Or she can re-enter with no visa and get a 30 days visa exempt stamps ?

Am I correct ?

2 minutes ago, cnx355 said:

Just wondering Joe, his wife with the SETV of 60 days will get only the  few days left  if she enters before the expiration on her original entry with the re-entry permit ?

Let say she is stamped for 2 days on re-entering , she will have to request a 30 day  extension quickly at an Immigration office ?

Or she can re-enter with no visa and get a 30 days visa exempt stamps ?

Am I correct ?

Fully correct.

Buying a single-entry re-entry permit (1000 THB) on an almost expired permission to stay, would only let her keep the remaining days on re-entry.

In your wife's case it would be better and easier not to bother buying a re-entry permit, but simply re-entering Visa Exempt which will give her a permission to stay of 30 days.

She can extend that 30-days with an additional 30 days at any IO for 1900 THB.

Note: I presume your wife is from a Western country that is eligible for the 30-day VisaExempt, does not have a history of many entries on VE or TouristVisa's, and did not already made 2 land-border crossings this calendar year.  If that's correct, she will be fine entering VisaExempt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Buying a single-entry re-entry permit (1000 THB) on an almost expired permission to stay, would only let her keep the remaining days on re-entry.

Or apply for a 30 day extension and then apply for the re-entry permit that would be valid until the end of the extension.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1