The Cats Movie Had A Brutal Box Office Opening, Can Anything Save It Now?

snoop1130

The Cats Movie Had A Brutal Box Office Opening, Can Anything Save It Now?

BY GINA CARBONE

eb08a2a8eed057beaed6c3ded15a1ea23919ba0e.jpg

It's easy to crap on the Cats movie, and enough people have done so to fill many litter boxes.

But the movie itself just didn't fill seats in its opening weekend. Worse, it does not seem poised to leg out like The Greatest Showman musical, which opened in December 2017 against a Star Wars movie and a Jumanji movie, just like the Cats musical in December 2019.

Hugh Jackman's movie had great word-of-mouth to save it.

The star-studded Cats has some so-bad-it's-good word-of-mouth going on, but its potential as a cult classic probably won't help it make money in its run through early 2020.

Full Story: https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2487324/the-cats-movie-had-a-brutal-box-office-opening-can-anything-save-it-now

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pity the critics said their issues ONCE about Cats, instead of repeating gloom and doom. Let the viewers go along and make up their minds. Never saw any critics blast Sylvester Stallone's latest movie which is an insult of 90 minutes in duration.

33 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Hollywood is losing the plot, and has been for quite some time. One sequel after another, one Marvel film after another. It seems only comic books and sequels appeal to the adolescent minds running the studios. Most of those films are inane, with people jumping off buildings , dodging hundreds of bullets, and flying through the air. And even when they are shot, they seem to just get up and walk away. Dumb and dumber. 

The only good films now are independents, or foreign film. I think this goes hand in hand with the general decline of America, American culture, and American influence. Gone baby gone. It's best day's are behind it, on all levels. There is no making America great again. A competent leader might be able to arrest it's decline for awhile. But, we are looking at late 5th century Rome, just prior to it's sacking by Odoacer.

The demographic of cinema goers is I believe adolescent boys, hence the movies that pander to them.

Blockbusters are made to make money, not good films.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Hollywood is losing the plot, and has been for quite some time. One sequel after another, one Marvel film after another. It seems only comic books and sequels appeal to the adolescent minds running the studios. Most of those films are inane, with people jumping off buildings , dodging hundreds of bullets, and flying through the air. And even when they are shot, they seem to just get up and walk away. Dumb and dumber. 

The only good films now are independents, or foreign film. I think this goes hand in hand with the general decline of America, American culture, and American influence. Gone baby gone. It's best day's are behind it, on all levels. There is no making America great again. A competent leader might be able to arrest it's decline for awhile. But, we are looking at late 5th century Rome, just prior to it's sacking by Odoacer.

I don't know what folk thing of The Witcher , tried 1 episode 0n Netflix and that was enough.

Then I found a french film I hadn't see for a few years The chorist. Loved it . Oh and watched North West Frontier 1960 I think it was , brilliant.  Could be my age but zombies fims , damn zombies are taking over.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I agreed with everything you said until you started attributing the decline in movies to the decline of American culture, as if it was America's responsibility to provide the world with "good " movies or if the culture in other countries was erudite.  If indeed the the quality of movie entertainment is attributed to American culture decline then why don't the  superior foreign culture step up and produce a superior product?  

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

I agreed with everything you said until you started attributing the decline in movies to the decline of American culture, as if it was America's responsibility to provide the world with "good " movies or if the culture in other countries was erudite.  If indeed the the quality of movie entertainment is attributed to American culture decline then why don't the  superior foreign culture step up and produce a superior product?  

Oh but they do. Foreign films have a far higher quality content than most American films. Japanese, Korean, Chinese, British, French, German, and especially the Scandinavians who are creating masterworks. When you add in Mexico, Spain and so many others they may not have the blockbuster budgets, but they sure have the quality and content that appeals to adults. 

15 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Oh but they do. Foreign films have a far higher quality content than most American films. Japanese, Korean, Chinese, British, French, German, and especially the Scandinavians who are creating masterworks. When you add in Mexico, Spain and so many others they may not have the blockbuster budgets, but they sure have the quality and content that appeals to adults. 

Then why aren't these films prevalent in the world , or are they? If they are then no problem , simply watch those and don't watch American movies, no one is forcing you to watch them, and say I don't like American movies without making value judgments. I don't like movies from other countries but I don't attribute my preference to some sort of moral superiority. 

By the way , American movies seem to more successful around the world than movies of any other country , so if their direction is due to a decline in culture, such decline seems not to be limited to the US. 

On 12/25/2019 at 12:50 AM, spidermike007 said:

Britain used to make brilliant movies. I watch many on DVD from the 40s, 50s, 60s that are better than the <deleted> Hollywood movies out now.

Sadly, Britain makes few movies now and good ones few to find. Statham used to make great movies, but he has lost the plot and makes garbage now.

5 minutes ago, bendejo said:

There's an actor in the movie whinging about how his, err, appendage was airbrushed out.  This may end up being the movie's best publicity.

if it was scaled relative to nature's cat... then he should be happy it's brushed out...

• Haha 1