McConnell says Senate Republicans have not ruled out witnesses in Trump impeachment trial

webfact

55 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Yes, people point out any number of things here, doesn’t make it so. 

Everyone here was  “frequently pointing out” how Trump was going to be impeached for campaign finance laws over a year ago. 

In any event, the House rules only control what the House does, they have nothing to do with the Senate. 

Your “impeachment expert”, the Harvard Law professor that testified in court that the phone call was an impeachable offense sides with me. 

I'm not sure what you mean - I don't have an "impeachment expert."

Anyway, I'm pretty sure Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell knows how the procedure works and here's what he's said about Pelosi holding onto the articles of impeachment:

MITCH MCCONNELL (R-KY): "Yeah. I mean, believe it or not, the papers have to be physically brought over to the Senate, and we can't go forward until the Speaker does that."

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Anyway, I'm pretty sure Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell knows how the procedure works and here's what he's said about Pelosi holding onto the articles of impeachment:

Some people seem to be quibbling about the minutiae of the situation and not the bigger picture. However this plays out, gets sent to the senate, doesn't get sent, constitutes impeachment without being sent and all that doesn't matter.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/dec/25/nancy-pelosi-has-no-leverage-on-impeachment-and-wi/

The end result is all the same Trump in an election against whoever the dems drag out.

Mitch knows the dems and the house have no say in the senate. "I'm not sure what leverage there is from refraining from sending us something we do not want."

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

All of the things listed seem more like running damage control after the fact than some cunning plan. I love the one about Pelosi sending it to the senate right before the election. I guess if your candidate is in the senate at that time that would work out great. 

Thwarting Trump from claiming exoneration is another flawed one. Trump will say the evidence didn't even meet the bar of sending the articles. 

I don't see any stroke of pure genius in any of it.  Most of the theories are either damage control or hail Mary's praying that Trump slips up. To give another football analogy this is like Nancy doing an onside kick when the team is way behind in the fourth quarter. The ball (articles) has to be kicked off to the senate to have a chance to score. However releasing the ball is a very low probability play.  

This reeks of desperation. 

The mood in America now is incredible. This was a great Christmas season. People are enjoying their presents and drinking egg nog. Merry Christmas to one and all and God Bless.

From his tweets, Trump does not seem to share your serenity! ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

McConnell can play it anyway he wants. He can wait for Nancy if he thinks it’s in the best interest of the country,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mogandave said:

The House had the chance to wait for any witness they wanted, they chose not to. 

To be fair they were in a major hurry. Didn't they say the hurry was vital because Trump was such a dire threat that he couldn't be allowed to continue? Which makes the delay now another new angle of, and unseen level of ridiculousness. Restart the 1st term!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

To be fair they were in a major hurry. Didn't they say the hurry was vital because Trump was such a dire threat that he couldn't be allowed to continue? Which makes the delay now another new angle of, and unseen level of ridiculousness. Restart the 1st term!

If it was "vital", why did they not continue to sit over the recess.

Pack of hypocrites, IMO.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Can you please post at least the headline of links.

I went on reluctantly, as the less cookies I pick up the better, but it's amazing that the NYT would publish anything as negative for the Dems as that.

At the end the clutching at straws for the presidential candidate was heartening. When even the NYT can't predict a Trump loss, it's pretty much in the bag for the Donald.

As they said, if he can keep his mouth shut for the next ten months it's Donald 2020 to 2024. At this stage it's his to lose.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2019 at 4:55 PM, simple1 said:

We fundamentally disagree. The items you consider to be trump's achievements I view as strategic errors of judgement i.e. withdrawal from Paris Agreement, Iranian deal and TPP. Politicising moving the US Justice system to conservative ideologues is wrong as trump did not gain the mandate by way of majority support from US votes. Reversing US legislation for protection of the environment. NAFTA 2.0 appears to be only marginally advantageous to the US whilst damaging relations with near neighbours and on and on - too may to mention...

Like you say, we fundamentally disagree. Paris agreement is dead anyway after the recent conference, Iranians were never going to abide by the deal, IMO, and the TPP needed to be executed as it was a revolting agreement.

If disagree with Trump electing judges to SCOTUS need a constitutional amendment to change it.

I'm all for protecting the environment, but like I said elsewhere, no politician ticks all the boxes. The Paris agreement protected nothing, in reality, IMO.

Mexico has been taking advantage of the US for ages and less said about Canada the better, IMO.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Can you please post at least the headline of links.

I went on reluctantly, as the less cookies I pick up the better, but it's amazing that the NYT would publish anything as negative for the Dems as that.

At the end the clutching at straws for the presidential candidate was heartening. When even the NYT can't predict a Trump loss, it's pretty much in the bag for the Donald.

As they said, if he can keep his mouth shut for the next ten months it's Donald 2020 to 2024. At this stage it's his to lose.

It was Romney’s to lose in ‘12 and Clinton’s to lose in ‘16...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mogandave said:

It was Romney’s to lose in ‘12 and Clinton’s to lose in ‘16...

Of course I recognise that something could happen before the election, but here's hoping it doesn't.

Romney had poor advisors and said stupid things. If it was the Donald it wouldn't matter, but Romney was such a sad sack, IMO, that he just couldn't get out of the trap.

Clinton- perhaps if she hadn't insulted half the country with her revolting remark she might have won, despite those awful pant suits.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

On 12/26/2019 at 1:17 PM, Sujo said:

No one stopped repubs calling witnesses to what trump is accused of doing.

Sujo, 

Obviously you are not informed.  Unless the Democratic Chairman approves the Republicans got nothing. 

In terms of Biden, yes his actions were clearly involved with Trumps request to look into corruption in Ukaraine.  As to your statement about witnesses not being germane, former Ukraine ambassador Marie Yovanovitch was called by the Democrats to testify despite her not even being in the position when Trump telephoned the Ukranian President. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Kelsall said:

Well it looks like the whistleblower will be called as a witness.  Trump has outed him in a tweet.  Now we're getting down to business.

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/trump-retweets-article-which-names-alleged-whistleblower/

Why would that mean he will be called?

it is also not confirmed he is the wb, trump only retweeted.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sujo said:

If he wanted the bidens investigated all he had to do was ask the state dept, doj or fbi. But he did it the wrong way.

yovanovitch was directly involved. She was a known fighter of corruption and gave evidence that what giuliani was doing was against US policy, but for trumps personal gain policy.

So tell me what evidence the bidens could give relating to trump asking a foreign govt to investigate. 

They tried bringing in a couple of Ukrainians to the USA to present documents  showing facts of corruption but these two particular ones were stymied by Yovanovitch and weren't issued visa's ! It's been widely reported along with all the corruption that was going on before Mr. Trump! IMOP It's no wonder the POTUS side stepped those channels !

Edited by riclag
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, riclag said:

They tried bringing in a couple of Ukrainians to the USA to present documents  showing facts of corruption but these two particular ones were stymied by Yovanovitch and weren't issued visa's ! It's been widely reported along with all the corruption that was going on before Mr. Trump!It's no wonder the POTUS side stepped those channels!

Who are "they", and who are these Ukrainians? 

Edited by candide
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, candide said:

It confirms he does not think he has to respect laws.

Maybe and maybe not. It's been reported by other people ! Anyway maybe Nancy will move this on as a result of his retweet. Everybody dying to know what political ties he or she has IMOP